• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Subforums...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do we have any further developments on the possibility of subforums for the really big series...? Obviously it's too late to bring this to pass for India-England, which is likely to smash all records bar Eng-Aus-2005.
I know for certain I'm not the only one who finds *Official* threads move much, much too fast at times to come close to keeping track, even for series which involve teams reprisented by only a small amount of our CW population (eg Pakistan vs South Africa).
I appreciate there may be logistical difficulties attached to multiple subforums with the calender so absurdly crowded, given that it'd probably amount to 15 or so new forums every year... but I don't know the particulars. Is it possible for forums to be "topped" as threads can be? Then removed, to be accessed only by a certain link, once finished?
This would achieve several things...
1) as mentioned above, it would enable discussion of the series to be broken down a little more readily, and cut the "swamping" affect where you could reply to a post made 3 hours earlier and the reply would be 5 pages down the line...
2) it would save constant "we already have an *Official* thread for this... closed", because that thread created by an unwary could simply be moved rather than closed...
3) it would enable more space on the front-page, especially now that we have regularly-topped threads in addition to the at-times-rather-large number of series going on concurrently (meaning we have 7 or 8 threads topped at once). Since I know so many have such difficulty accessing the 2nd page...
4) this would be preferable for those whose main interest is *Official* threads and who rarely visit Cricket Chat aside from these...
I'm sure all this might've been said before, but if it has... I'm only repeating it, and if it hasn't I hope I might be able to contribute something to the evolution of the greatest cricketing forums in The World.

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
Richard,

Thanks for taking the time to offer your suggestions, appreciate it.

We discussed this in a Cricket Web staff chat a few months ago, and the decision was made to create separate forums for only the big series which were decided as Ashes 2006/07 and World Cup 2007. Both these sub forums will appear within the next couple of weeks.

The belief around a sub forum for each series was that discussion would be too wide spread meaning the England members were likely to only hang out in their series’ sub forum, Australia in there’s, etc, etc. The positive at the moment is that all cricket fans from all countries contribute in the same forum, meaning a wide range of view points.

1) If discussion isn’t related specifically to something on the series, i.e. it’s around an injury, or a particular players performance then a separate thread is fine, but of course there’s no one rule fits all situations here.

2) As above

3) What we could look at doing is increasing the number of threads displayed on Page 1 so rather than 30, it’s 50 to insure recent discussions that have dropped off a little don’t fall away from the front forum page.