• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup swan songs

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Who are the players leaving the international game after the World Cup?

New Zealand: Luke McAlister, Aaron Mauger, Byron Kelleher, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Greg Rawlinson and Rico Gear.

Doug Howlett?

Australia: George Gregan, Stephen Larkham

South Africa: Victor Matfield (rumoured).

Fiery

Banned
Who are the players leaving the international game after the World Cup?

New Zealand: Luke McAlister, Aaron Mauger, Byron Kelleher, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Greg Rawlinson and Rico Gear.

Doug Howlett?

Australia: George Gregan, Stephen Larkham

South Africa: Victor Matfield (rumoured).
Mate, all those kiwi guys you mentioned (except Oliver) have at least 5 years left in them and there will be no surprise if they play in the 2011 WC. So they are chasing some money but hopefully the situation changes and the door stays ajar for them

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** it's ridiculous how many of our players go overseas to chase the big bucks, do they have no ****en loyalty? I mean Luke McCalister, FFS, how many Tests have you played? Just shows how worthless the black jersey is in these guys eyes, I don't care how often I hear "I feel great pride everytime I pull it on" because you obviously don't, otherwise you wouldn't be ****ing off overseas you unloyal ****.

Fiery

Banned
**** it's ridiculous how many of our players go overseas to chase the big bucks, do they have no ****en loyalty? I mean Luke McCalister, FFS, how many Tests have you played? Just shows how worthless the black jersey is in these guys eyes, I don't care how often I hear "I feel great pride everytime I pull it on" because you obviously don't, otherwise you wouldn't be ****ing off overseas you unloyal ****.
Totally agree mate. Luke McAlistair is the worst for sure. When you hear him being interviewed and he's constantly saying things like "you've gotta look after No.1"...****s me tbh

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Mate, all those kiwi guys you mentioned (except Oliver) have at least 5 years left in them and there will be no surprise if they play in the 2011 WC. So they are chasing some money but hopefully the situation changes and the door stays ajar for them
I wouldn't be surprised if none of these guys play for the All Blacks again.

As for how I feel about it, I think it's ridiculous that McAlister is going, but I guess he wants his OE. Players like Kelleher, Jack and Oliver I can understand and players with families. Hayman was a shock. The NZRU should've paid him top dollar, but I think the dissolution of the Highlanders was a big factor.

New players will emerge, but next year the problems we already have in the midfield and set pieces are going to be even worse.

Perm

Totally agree mate. Luke McAlistair is the worst for sure. When you hear him being interviewed and he's constantly saying things like "you've gotta look after No.1"...****s me tbh
I don't have a problem with him looking after himself, while it's a bit selfish it's the way the world works these days. What I do have a problem with is that he needs to go overseas to do it, he could quite easily stay put in New Zealand and earn quite a bit of money while getting to play for the All Blacks. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the boyhood dream of the wearing the black jersey is slowly dissolving because of these kind of players.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I wonder how long it will take the Wallabies to replace Larkham.

There was a ridiculous remark from Bob Dwyer this week saying the All Blacks peaked against France in 2004 and have been in decline ever since... If that's true (and keep in mind that was this team's break out Test) then the Wallabies are in perpetual decline.

Fiery

Banned
I don't have a problem with him looking after himself, while it's a bit selfish it's the way the world works these days. What I do have a problem with is that he needs to go overseas to do it, he could quite easily stay put in New Zealand and earn quite a bit of money while getting to play for the All Blacks. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the boyhood dream of the wearing the black jersey is slowly dissolving because of these kind of players.
yep....

(Of course he'll make more money overseas though)

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
They need to rethink the whole concept of the Super 14 and Tri-Nations. Obviously we need the SANZAR money & it saved rugby from Packer, but it's on its last legs, IMO.

Perm

Wouldn't come close tbh
I realise that, hence my "Oh, for sure". It's not like he is earning a pittance here in New Zealand, only when it's compared to other countries does he look like he's being paid poorly.

Perm

And how old is McAlister, 23?
Yep, he'll be 24 once the time the World Cup rolls around, so he'll play overseas for three years, presumably returning to New Zealand in 2010 in preparation for the World Cup the following year.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Pot
Kettle
All Black

:ph34r: