• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ireland Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not really. The only teams I think that are capable of winning the World Cup are New Zealand, South Africa and France. I would be majorly surprised if any of the other teams got up and took the trophy.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
Not really. The only teams I think that are capable of winning the World Cup are New Zealand, South Africa and France. I would be majorly surprised if any of the other teams got up and took the trophy.
yes and we got be by france by a last min try!!!
We hammered S.A last year how can you put them in with chances and not us??

Perm

Because I think they are a better side than Ireland. South Africa are my favourites to win this tournament, provided they get their selection policy sorted out and let Jake White pick the best team he can, regardless of race.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Meh Ireland are a decent team and nothing more. Yeah, they've had some success of late, but i think if O'Driscoll or O'Gara gets injured, they have nothing more to cover those positions.
Some world class players, don't get me wrong, but some mediocre players too.
Andrew Trimble, very talented player, can be a bit overrated at times. I support the irish team, and would love it if they won, but i can't see it happening atm.

headhunter

Meh Ireland are a decent team and nothing more. Yeah, they've had some success of late, but i think if O'Driscoll or O'Gara gets injured, they have nothing more to cover those positions.
Some world class players, don't get me wrong, but some mediocre players too.
Andrew Trimble, very talented player, can be a bit overrated at times. I support the irish team, and would love it if they won, but i can't see it happening atm.
i would have to agree with you espically in o'gara's case we could do without o'driscoll!!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I've already stated Ireland won't win the Cup (mainly due to their inability to beat NZ), but the other thing I'd add to that is their lack of strength in depth. Below their top 15-22, they look very thin indeed.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Tis true, and i think the tour of argentina showed that. They played a second XV but they got beaten in the first test and hammered in the 2nd.

Perm

Tis true, and i think the tour of argentina showed that. They played a second XV but they got beaten in the first test and hammered in the 2nd.
Argentina are incredibly tough to beat at home, I would have backed them to beat a full strength Irish team TBH.

reptillia

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes Stephen, Ireland did but that was like a B or C string South African side, I doubt Ireland can win it but I am hopeful of them semis. It's just stupid the way the draw works. Wales, an inferior team to Ireland IMO, get such an easier draw than Ireland!

headhunter

We can win the world cup.
We have a world class back row and lineout a little work on the scrum and we will be very close mark my words!