• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunil Gavaskar vs Graham Gooch

Who was the better test batsman against high quality bowling?

• Total voters

Sunil1z

International Regular
Actually, throughout Sobers’ career Pakistan and New Zealand were similarly poor as bowling teams. If you’re going to remove India, you might as well remove them too. Its like removing Zimbabwe from a player who did well there and leaving Bangladesh where they failed, complete doctoring of stats to support your agenda.

Unfortunately Sobers couldn’t play against South Africa, but SA and England were the dominant bowling sides in his career and he averaged 53 in England.
If your batting average collapses just by removing 1 side ( that too which was a poor bowling side ) then you just minnow bashed away to Greatness.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
If your batting average collapses just by removing 1 side ( that too which was a poor bowling side ) then you just minnow bashed away to Greatness.
Except I just showed you that he succeeded away from home against the best bowling side of his era. Everyone has teams and countries they struggle and succeed against.

Plus its not even his overall record “collapsing” its his away record. And 44 is still quite a respectable away average, in my book. Even after your cherrypicking.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Except I just showed you that he succeeded away from home against the best bowling side of his era. Everyone has teams and countries they struggle and succeed against.
This is one point with which I completely agree .

Regarding 44 away average, both Sehwag and Hayden have similar overseas average and many on this forum behave as if they are worst batsmen to play cricket.

Slifer

International Captain
Atleast I am not biased enough to give Indian cricketers 99/100 rating.
I've been here long enough to see plenty of similar exaggerations, I usually ignore them and you should too. Tendulkar has been called god, rated above Bradman plenty of times. To stoop so low as to cherry pick with Sobers by taking out India but leaving in nz and Pak is Ikki level.

Against the two non-minnow teams of his time, Sobers averaged 53 and 46 away; 51 overall away. That is not minnow bashing.

Sunil1z

International Regular
I've been here long enough to see plenty of similar exaggerations, I usually ignore them and you should too. Tendulkar has been called god, rated above Bradman plenty of times. To stoop so low as to cherry pick with Sobers by taking out India but leaving in nz and Pak is Ikki level.

Against the two non-minnow teams of his time, Sobers averaged 53 and 46 away; 51 overall away. That is not minnow bashing.
You should say the same to Kyear who wants to only count Gavaskar’s 82 series in WI and ignore rest of the series against WI from 1971 to 1983 .

Sunil1z

International Regular
I write against WI players only when Kyear goes overboard in his criticism of Gavaskar. Guy even managed to rant against Gavaskar in Greenidge vs Gavaskar thread .

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
You should say the same to Kyear who wants to only count Gavaskar’s 82 series in WI and ignore rest of the series against WI from 1971 to 1983 .
Where did I say that?

All I said was that he wasn't great on faster pitches, while voting for him btw.

Re my rating of Marshall, I gave my argument and the counter was longevity, then somehow if he was express. If you disagree cool, just make an argument but...

The entire you said something about a player from my country so let me respond in kind, even when not related is ridiculous tbh.

Slifer

International Captain
I write against WI players only when Kyear goes overboard in his criticism of Gavaskar. Guy even managed to rant against Gavaskar in Greenidge vs Gavaskar thread .
We all know Gavaskar is one of the big 4 greatest test openers and top 10 greatest batsmen ever. Kyear has his opinions which I disagree with from time to time and him with me.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Where did I say that?

All I said was that he wasn't great on faster pitches, while voting for him btw.

Re my rating of Marshall, I gave my argument and the counter was longevity, then somehow if he was express. If you disagree cool, just make an argument but...

The entire you said something about a player from my country so let me respond in kind, even when not related is ridiculous tbh.
You are massively biased regarding Marshall. He just edges McGrath and Hadlee. You pretend if Marshall is 10% better bowler than McGrath/Hadlee. And no Marshall doesn’t deserve 99 . At best he deserves 85 assuming 100 for Bradman.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean if Bradman is “100/100” as a batsman I’d need a bowler averaging 15 or less to be considered 100/100.

(btw a ranking system out of 100 for a player is one of the more stupid things I’ve read on here in a while)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
We all know Gavaskar is one of the big 4 greatest test openers and top 10 greatest batsmen ever. Kyear has his opinions which I disagree with from time to time and him with me.
You do know I literally said the same in the thread.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh you did? I didn't read the whole thing tbf.
In at least two posts, while also stating I voted for him in the poll and he was the greater of the two.

The only thing I said was that he struggled on quicker pitches.

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
In at least two posts, while also stating I voted for him in the poll and he was the greater of the two.

The only thing I said was that he struggled on quicker pitches.
I don’t think anyone is saying Gavaskar was as good as like Viv against fast bowling tbf.

Gavaskar was at the same level as like Lara against fast bowling.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I don’t think anyone is saying Gavaskar was as good as like Viv against fast bowling tbf.

Gavaskar was at the same level as like Lara against fast bowling.
Then why does some see it as an affront?

I didn't pick apart or micro analyse anyone's record. But that triggered a couple people.

CricketFan90s

First Class Debutant
Gooch in 90s better than Gavaskar and Gavaskar better than Gooch in 70s and 80s. Overall its Gavaskar but Gooch can become better if you making him the captain. As Captain Gooch Averaged 58 and as not captain he averaged 35. Give Gooch more responsibility he will be better than Gavaskar - Just Kidding. Gavaskar was more consistent so Gavaskar Wins.