• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambrose vs Donald vs Imran

Who is the best test bowler?

• Total voters

Majestic

U19 Debutant
Ambrose> Imran > Donald.

Marshall
McGrath
Hadlee
Ambrose
Wasim
Steyn
Imran
Donald
Garner
Holding
Waqar

That's my order.

shortpitched713

International Captain
We've done this so many times, and with Subz, it never ends well.
It's because there's such a range, and scope of impressions of Imran's bowling (rather a lot like Warne in this regard, and yes before you ask, I've already done a poll between the two).

You wouldn't be wrong in saying that Imran was the very greatest bowler of all time. But it was obviously a shorter period and at a time which most people don't have a vivid mental association of with him, and much more people saw his late career brilliance, and World Cup winning leadership at which time he was a completely different player. The same is the case for me, even as a Pakistani, I wasn't even born at the time of his greatest skill as a fast bowler.

Still, he doesn't have nearly the longevity and consistency of an Ambrose, or any of the other top 5 seamers. With comparing with almost anyone else outside of the top 5 ( Donald, Garner, Shaun Pollock in particular ), I wouldn't really know where to place him. He definitely shades Wasim though, but not by much if you look at a whole career.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Imran and Amby very very close(Ambrose far greater in Eng and Aus. Imran great at home and WI, and one of the fast bowlers to succeed on SC pitches. Ambrose tho great on flat wickets at home). Then Donald. All in one tier just below Marshall-Mcgrath-Hadlee-Steyn for me. I’ll go Immy here cause of his freakish peak

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran and Amby very very close(Ambrose far greater in Eng and Aus. Imran great at home and WI, and one of the fast bowlers to succeed on SC pitches. Ambrose tho great on flat wickets at home). Then Donald. All in one tier just below Marshall-Mcgrath-Hadlee-Steyn for me. I’ll go Immy here cause of his freakish peak
I agree with this. Ambrose to me again has question marks in the SC having never played in India and one good and one horrific series in Pak. Hence why I rate Imran ahead.

However there is no tiers for me except for Marshall being clearly ahead of the rest by a small and notable margin. Otherwise, McGrath, Hadlee, Steyn all have gaps in their records like Imran Ambrose too. Steyn has a virtually matching record to Imran actually.

subshakerz

International Coach
Donald played five series against the best batting lineup of Australia and only one was worldclass standard. Hence why he deserves to be behind the others.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Donald played five series against the best batting lineup of Australia and only one was worldclass standard. Hence why he deserves to be behind the others.
Just like great batsmen against the very best bowlers, even great bowlers will struggle against the absolute best batting lineups ( which is what Australia were back then , and no there is no contradiction between these two assertions ).

I don't especially hold it against Donald, that he couldn't make miracles against the Aussie side, because almost no one could.

subshakerz

International Coach
Just like great batsmen against the very best bowlers, even great bowlers will struggle against the absolute best batting lineups ( which is what Australia were back then , and no there is no contradiction between these two assertions ).

I don't especially hold it against Donald, that he couldn't make miracles against the Aussie side, because almost no one could.
Wasim and Ambrose did well against Australia. Imran did well against WI.