• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilz

International Regular
I think @subshakerz has extremely valid regarding India's overseas record. Any great side worth its name should be able to defeat current ENG and SA side overseas. If we fail in either of these tasks then we don't deserve to be called one.

Otherwise statistically there is no doubt that Ashwin is a bigger match winner than Shane Warne. But will anyone really consider Ashwin greater than Warne ?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think @subshakerz has extremely valid regarding India's overseas record. Any great side worth its name should be able to defeat current ENG and SA side overseas. If we fail in either of these tasks then we don't deserve to be called one.

Otherwise statistically there is no doubt that Ashwin is a bigger match winner than Shane Warne. But will anyone really consider Ashwin greater than Warne ?
Yes. Ashwin.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Why shouldn't he? Greatness being defined by being good in all conditions is a narrow stats minded concept (Not saying it's wrong), there can be plenty other criterion - which are all subjective depending on what a person weighs as important in his eyes.

What's so arrogant about that?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Johnson was actually really really good in that series. Misbah and Younis just made a very conscious decision to not attack him, at all, and be incredibly cautious against him, and the pitches meant he couldn't just blast them out if they refused to play a shot against him. He ended up going at like 1.5 rpo an over across both games.

He was let down by the lack of pressure at the other end more than anything else. There was nothing wrong with his bowling.
I recall him being Australia's best bowler in that series anyway.

Slifer

International Captain
WI 80's peak had Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Richardson, LLoyd and Gomes. That top six is comparable to anyone, Aus possibly being a bit better.
Personally, I prefer the top 6 that beat Oz 2-0 in 79-80: Greenidge, Haynes, Viv, Kallicharan, Rowe, Lloyd. Kalli especially because he was both a very good player of pace and excellent vs spin.

Slifer

International Captain
Yes, I forgot to consider Lloyd and Haynes here, but I would fancy the Indian batting from 2009-2010 period and the English batting from 2010-2011 to notch up more 650+ scores on good batting wickets. West Indians had aggressive batsmen but they would barely accumulate runs.
Haynes was a notorious HTB but Lloyd was quality. I'd agree that India with any of the following: Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, were probably better than the WI. England no!!

Chrish

International Debutant
Current Indian side is dominant at home but by no means unbeatable. Take 2016-17 border Gavaskar for example (can’t believe it has been that long). In the first game we were smoked. And all other three games were hard-fought. In the last game if it wasn’t for contribution from tail in the first inning (Jadeja scored 60), we might have lost. It was close and could have gone the other way.

Of course this was attributed to once in a lifetime performance from Smith, but it shows that teams with strong batting lineups can push India into back-seat. They aren’t invincible!

Flem274*

123/5
England won a test last year didn't they? I wonder what happens in a parallel universe where they go for the kill and narrowly win the series instead of rotating the team and batting like dicks.

Slifer

International Captain
England won a test last year didn't they? I wonder what happens in a parallel universe where they go for the kill and narrowly win the series instead of rotating the team and batting like dicks.
As you know, that test England won doesn't count because all of India's key players were injured, sick , (insert excuses)....

Xix2565

International Debutant
Hard to say that really. We did comprehensively thrash them in the next match, then the bad rotation amd pitch reading really began at Ahmedabad. Arguably could've done better in the last Test with an actual fast bowler along with Anderson and Stokes. Plus over the series they ended up getting exposed against spin, don't think that wouldn't necessarily happen even if they planned better.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Current Indian side is dominant at home but by no means unbeatable. Take 2016-17 border Gavaskar for example (can’t believe it has been that long). In the first game we were smoked. And all other three games were hard-fought. In the last game if it wasn’t for contribution from tail in the first inning (Jadeja scored 60), we might have lost. It was close and could have gone the other way.

Of course this was attributed to once in a lifetime performance from Smith, but it shows that teams with strong batting lineups can push India into back-seat. They aren’t invincible!
Losing 2 home matches in the last 8-9 years is invincible. Even 80s WI and 90s-00s Australia lost more.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
As you know, that test England won doesn't count because all of India's key players were injured, sick , (insert excuses)....
Don't be salty. No tests won against India in the last 20 years. Even 80s WI couldnt do that against India.

Status
Not open for further replies.