• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

ataraxia

International Coach
Goodbye fingers
Aware Coronis' post was in jest, but yeah this.

IIRC, back in the 19th century keepers didn't wear gloves, and got massive hand injuries. Mordecai Sherwin's very fleshy hands played a large part in him being a good fielder. This was partly exacerabated by bad pitches, but in the modern day keepers would have to face quicker bowling (and are inevitably more wussy when it comes to injuries :ph34r:, not that that's a bad thing).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to see your list of top 15 batsmen then.

So Ponting, Chappel, Gavaskar, Hutton are better than him in your opinion?
You can, I posted it in your thread. And yes, I consider all the above higher than him, aside from Ponting who I put immediately below him.

BazBall21

International Regular
Curtly Ambrose is possibly the most naturally talented bowler of all time. Hard to compare to SF Barnes though.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Wicket keeper should only bat 7. If it was good enough for Gilchrist it should be for everyone

ataraxia

International Coach
Gilchrist batted 7 because of how good the rest of the line-up was. If he was playing for Zimbabwe or England he wouldn't have been batting 7
Minnows England, granted, but given Flower > Gilchrist he doesn't make the Zimbabwe team in the first place.

Molehill

International Captain
Gilchrist batted 7 because of how good the rest of the line-up was. If he was playing for Zimbabwe or England he wouldn't have been batting 7
But would he have been as good at 6 or higher? England's best in the last whatever was Prior who batted 7 behind the best batting line up we've had in 50 odd years. Funny how these best 7's always seem to turn up behind all time Top 6's.....

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
I think Gilchrist batting 7 is was what took all the pressure off him to play freely and be great. He's a WK so if he gets out cheap so what, but if he batted 5 he would have added pressure to score runs as one of the main batsman and likely batted differently

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Gilchrist batting 7 is was what took all the pressure off him to play freely and be great. He's a WK so if he gets out cheap so what, but if he batted 5 he would have added pressure to score runs as one of the main batsman and likely batted differently
Having followed his career as close as anyone I think he would have ended up looking better batting higher. Probably a higher average and definitely more milestones. Batting 7 often led him to declaration batting, or playing cat and mouse with the tail, and it's a position where on flat wickets, behind an ATG batting line-up, you often miss your chance to fill your boots.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Well averaging 50+ for most of his career I don't think he missed many chances to fill his boots on a tired attack after getting that top 5-6 out