• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is Your Country/Team's Second Best Left-Handed Batsman?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll go first since my situation is different from the other test teams,

My country, Guyana: It is Shivnarine Chanderpaul; Clive Lloyd is best
My team, West Indies: Brian Charles Lara; Sobers obviously the best

trundler

On the insistence of absolutely no one I've decided to do this for everyone else also

Bangladesh: Tamim Iqbal (Shakib Al Hassan)
England: Maurice Leyland (Alistair Cook)
India: Gautam Gambhir (Sourav Ganguly)
Sri Lanka: Dimuth
Karunaratne (Sanath Jayasuriya)
South Africa: Gary Kirsten (Graeme Smith)*
New Zealand: Stephen Fleming (John Wright)
Zimbabwe: Sean Williams (Andy Flower)

Controversial call on NZ. Not counting G Pollock for SA. If you do then it's Smith I guess.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
On the insistence of absolutely no one I've decided to do this for everyone else also

Controversial call on NZ. Not counting G Pollock for SA. If you do then it's Smith I guess.
Why wouldn't you count Pollock? David Gower hard done by for England I reckon.

And I assume your Sri Lanka selection is a tribute to @Himannv.

SillyCowCorner1

So Sanga is not the best batsmen after Bradman?
lol

@Himannv

_00_deathscar

International Regular

I think argument for Pant for India

trundler

Why wouldn't you count Pollock? David Gower hard done by for England I reckon.

And I assume your Sri Lanka selection is a tribute to @Himannv.
Yeah let's go with that explanation for why I forgot Sanga. I had Dimuth down as 2nd best, then realised Jayasuriya was better and ultimately put Jayasuriya down as #1, forgetting Sanga altogether. :laugh: Leyland Vs Gower is close surely though I'd be betraying my own principle there if I didn't reward Gower for being the better top order player of the two. Longevity question marks over G Pollock potentially.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Oh and, you mixed up the Bangers blokes. Easy mistake to make.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
David Gower the best. Was gonna give Thorpe 2nd but forgot how impressive Leyland's average against Australia is. Hmmm...

Cook in the conversation too.

Flem274*

123/5
Bert Sutcliffe or Devon Conway (Martin Donnelly is no 1).
Yeah I still have Sutcliffe at #1 but Conway is making a case. Fleming in the conversation as well.

You could make cases for Richardson, Wright, Latham and Ryder but they just don't feel right. Ryder not being top 2 is entirely self inflicted. Latham has the numbers but you always feel after most series his career average should be 5 runs less than it is.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I still have Sutcliffe at #1 but Conway is making a case. Fleming in the conversation as well.

You could make cases for Richardson, Wright, Latham and Ryder but they just don't feel right. Ryder not being top 2 is entirely self inflicted. Latham has the numbers but you always feel after most series his career average should be 5 runs less than it is.
Could also make a case for JF Reid and 3-4 years ago even Nicholls looked like a chance.