• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Finances 2024-2027

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
How much of the total cricket viewership market is Indian? Ide imagine it would be very large, if it's around that 38.5% income cut then I see nothing wrong with it. India are the ones bringing the most eyes to the game.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
At least 75% of ICC revenue is being generated by Indian commercial rights alone.

Population of India = 1,420,000,000

Population of Pakistan + Bangladesh + Sri Lanka + Afghanistan + England + Australia + South Africa + New Zealand + West Indies + Ireland + Zimbabwe
= 660,000,000

Total = 2,080,000,000

So India's population is 68% of the total. Hence it is not surprising that 75-85% of the ICC revenue is coming from one country. If BCCI is taking 38%, they are taking less than half their share.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Other countries should also contribute to ICC’s kitty instead of free loading on Indian market .
According to Twitter ( if this information is correct) , Indian market contributes 25 times more than England (2nd best ) for 4 years cycle .
I hope the numbers are inaccurate because otherwise this means no one cares about Cricket except India which would be shame .

Attachments

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
According to Twitter ( if this information is correct) , Indian market contributes 25 times more than England (2nd best ) for 4 years cycle .
I hope the numbers are inaccurate because otherwise this means no one cares about Cricket except India which would be shame .
It's true.

Flem274*

123/5
The boards aren't in financial competition with the BCCI though, the game is in competition with other sports.

That means it's less about "fair share" among the boards and more "what revenue model lifts all boats and defeats our competition for eyes?"

Cricket could absolutely exist alone in India or the big 3. It would be a lot less interesting though compared to what it can be.

We don't want to be the NRL.

Tom Flint

International Regular
If india was the only country that cared about the game then why are their test attendances so poor compared to England and Australia?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If India contribute 25x more to the pot than England.....why has there been England test spam for the last 15 to 20 years?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Indian public doesn't care about Test Cricket.

BCCI could quite easily have its own international cricket calendar too (aside for expanding IPL). It doesn't need ICC. BCCI could pay smaller boards significantly bigger sums than ICC to keep the boards tied to BCCI.

So in the long run BCCI could well split up from ICC. They would be pocketing billions instead of only taking home 38.5%.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Other countries should also contribute to ICC’s kitty instead of free loading on Indian market .
I don't think you understand what you're reading here. :laugh:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The boards aren't in financial competition with the BCCI though, the game is in competition with other sports.

That means it's less about "fair share" among the boards and more "what revenue model lifts all boats and defeats our competition for eyes?"

Cricket could absolutely exist alone in India or the big 3. It would be a lot less interesting though compared to what it can be.

We don't want to be the NRL.
I reckon you might see a split from the ICC in the next decade or so, I don't see anyone really giving a **** about growing the game as opposed to just milking the T20 comps cash cow. The Indian market in particular should be big enough to sustain an EPL style thing by itself.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I reckon you might see a split from the ICC in the next decade or so, I don't see anyone really giving a **** about growing the game as opposed to just milking the T20 comps cash cow. The Indian market in particular should be big enough to sustain an EPL style thing by itself.
It comes back to this post I made a while back on the IPL Vs International Cricket thing.

Without international stars, almost every franchise league will lose a lot of their sheen. The novelty factor of watching consistent opponents play as team mates etc. are a big driver to these T20 leagues and especially the IPL. Also, if international cricket becomes lesser, then individual boards will have less and less to invest in the game and the interest will gradually go to other sports, which means we will be back to square one of not having enough talents to fulfil the demand.

The argument raised against this is how the likes of Jansen are being identified by franchises like MI but again, you can scout all you want but if there is not enough people interested in taking up the sport, there ain't gonna be much to find.

I am not against the IPL franchises spreading their wings and buying teams in other leagues and setting up a global presence etc. but it should not be at the cost of international cricket. That will be a classic case of killing the golden goose.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In my mind the split would be a rival organisation staging international games, offering more money to players than the boards will give them. Don't ask me how feasible that is though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I really don't think cricket would become less profitable if international cricket became significantly more secondary to all these bastard franchise tournaments. Look at football.

It'd be significantly a much more terrible experience for the average CWer but in terms of $$, it could genuinely be where it goes.