• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time ODI XI

Sunil1z

International Regular
Peak destructive order when in form imo . Nobody hit 6 as effortlessly as Gayle when in form.

Chris Gayle > Sehwag> Gilchrist > Sanath

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
But i would still keep Kapil at 7, due to a combination of very good bowling(ATVG ODI bowling), explosive finishing and brilliant fielding. He might be a bit rash with the bat but in case of a collapse you have Dhoni at 6 who is experienced at stabilising innings, and Akram at 8 to give the batting depth.

subshakerz

International Coach
He wasn't really that consistent at it IMO, which is why his reputation kind of dwarfs his record. People remember the 2W smashing or the squash ball game etc - they don't remember what happened in between all of them for him to average only 36.

He did it more often than Dhoni because he tried to do it every single time he went out to bat - Dhoni's role was much more defined by the match situation when he came in.

Do I think Gilly could destroy a great opening pair more often than Dhoni? Sure... but that's because Dhoni wasn't an opening bat with free reign. I think Dhoni could engineer a chase better... because Gilly wasn't a middle order closer. Overall I think Dhoni definitely contributed more in his role than Gilly did in his. I'd consider Dhoni as a bat even if he wasn't keeping but Gilly probably wouldn't make three elevens without the gloves tbh.
Actually I agree with you here. I just think Gilly was close to Dhoni.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
Playing 3 keepers in the top 6 is not a good strategy at all. Very Sri Lankan.
I haven’t chosen ABDV and Dhoni keeping in mind keeping at all. ABDV is sure short one of the best ODI bats ever(top 4). Imagine the carnage if Viv and AB are batting together. Dhoni is perhaps the best ODI finisher and experienced in stabilising innings as well. I choose him above Bevan, keeping in mind captaincy, otherwise hard to split Bevan and Dhoni.

subshakerz

International Coach
You mean when Jaya smoked Waqar and company for 70 out of an opening stand of 70 iwth Kalu and they could only win the game after Jaya got out? And this was 1997 Waqar as well.

Its funny how you rate player's careers based on what you remember.
I watched that game live. Waqar got him out eventually. Wasim wasnt playing. But great hitting no doubt.

subshakerz

International Coach
Peak destructive order when in form imo . Nobody hit 6 as effortlessly as Gayle when in form.

Chris Gayle > Sehwag> Gilchrist > Sanath
Gayle and Sehwag seemed to be putting a lot of effort. Jaya and Gilly seemed to be clean hitting it effortlessly.

subshakerz

International Coach
But i would still keep Kapil at 7, due to a combination of very good bowling(ATVG ODI bowling), explosive finishing and brilliant fielding. He might be a bit rash with the bat but in case of a collapse you have Dhoni at 6 who is experienced at stabilising innings, and Akram at 8 to give the batting depth.
If you admit Kapil would be rash then that doesn't help in a chase. Need calculated hitting. Afridi type pinch hitters are often a liability in a chase. They are better for first innings last over runs.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think most people agree on the following:

1 Tendulkar
3 Viv
4 Kohli
5 de Villiers
8 Wasim
9 Murali
10 Garner
11 McGrath

Some people are edgy hipsters and I'm usually one of them, but not on this, so I'm going to kind of take that as given.

The real debates are over the keeper and the fifth bowler combination. If people choose Dhoni, some of them have opted for using Watto/Jaya as an opener to give cover as sixth bowler. Most people who did that also picked Klusener (makes sense - gun sixth bowler means your fifth bowler can be weaker). But the real real real debate is basically over this allrounder/#7 spot, because we haven't had anyone in ODI history yet actually make it a lock for this team. It's always a trade off.

- You pick Klusener, it weakens the bowling. Maybe you offset this with a batting allrounder as opener, maybe you don't even bother with that.
- You pick Imran, it weakens the batting, especially since he's not suited to the spot you pick him in.
- You pick Flintoff. Probably makes the most sense in terms of being a gun frontline bowler and good enough to bat top 7 at this level, but he really sucked with the bat in the role he'd be picked in, which is a serious problem.
- You pick Pollock, he almost makes it on bowling alone anyway but it seriously weakens the batting, especially since Murali already has nosebleeds.
- You pick Kapil, who is well suited to #7 and probably as good a bowler as Imran, but at this imaginary level might be a bit of a bits-and-pieces player.
- You pick Shakib, because you're @Athlai and you love him.
- You don't really pick a fifth bowler at all and just allow batsmen to bowl 10 overs for ~100 and lose to the Second XI.

Last edited:

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Could u just take it to another thread. Klusener is locked at 7. and i'm a sort of a kapil fanboy.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Which combination will give better output ?:

Rohit + Dhoni+Kapil
Gilchrist + Klusener +Bevan
Watson+Dhoni+ Hussey

Adorable Asshole

International Regular

1 Tendulkar
3 Viv
4 Kohli
5 de Villiers
8 Wasim
9 Murali
10 Garner
11 McGrath

Some people are edgy hipsters and I'm usually one of them, but not on this, so I'm going to kind of take that as given.

The real debates are over the keeper and the fifth bowler combination. If people choose Dhoni, some of them have opted for using Watto/Jaya as an opener to give cover as sixth bowler. Most people who did that also picked Klusener (makes sense - gun sixth bowler means your fifth bowler can be weaker). But the real real real debate is basically over this allrounder/#7 spot, because we haven't had anyone in ODI history yet actually make it a lock for this team. It's always a trade off.

- You pick Klusener, it weakens the bowling. Maybe you offset this was a batting allrounder as opener, maybe you don't even bother with that.
- You pick Imran, it weakens the batting, especially since he's not suited to the spot you pick him in.
- You pick Flintoff. Probably makes the most sense in terms of being a gun frontline bowler and good enough to bat top 7 at this level, but he really sucked with the bat in the role he'd be picked in, which is a serious problem.
- You pick Pollock, he almost makes it on bowling alone anyway but it seriously weakens the batting, especially since Murali already has nosebleeds.
- You pick Kapil, who is well suited to #7 and probably as good a bowler as Imran, but at this imaginary level might be a bit of a bits-and-pieces player.
Murali and Mcgrath aren't locked. Hadlee, Pollock and Warne provide more to the team

As for the 6 and 7 debate just pick Flintoff and Klusener. They compliment each other pretty well and Klusener is a good 6 th bowler

Flintoff
Klusener
Pollock
Hadlee
Akram
Warne
Garner

are a prettty formidable tale

And the top order of

Glichrist
Sachin
Viv
Kohli
ABD

this is the best team.

subshakerz

International Coach

1 Tendulkar
3 Viv
4 Kohli
5 de Villiers
8 Wasim
9 Murali
10 Garner
11 McGrath

- You pick Klusener, it weakens the bowling. Maybe you offset this with a batting allrounder as opener, maybe you don't even bother with that.
How does Pollock weaken the batting at 7 while Kapil is fine?

I also don't think either Flintoff or Imran will suck at no.7 as ppl are imagining them to.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
MUrali and Mcgrath aren't locked. Hadlee, Pollock and Warne provide more to the team

As for the 6 and 7 debate just pick Flintoff and Klusener. They compliment each other pretty well and Klusener is a good 6 th bowler

Flintoff
Klusener
Pollock
Hadlee
Akram
Warne
Garner

And the top order of

Glichrist
Sachin
Viv
Kohli
ABD

this is the best team.
Yeah I know some people disagree with it, but for once I'm not a totally edgy hipster on the main parts of the team so I want to gang up with the cool kids and exclude you for not picking the clear best four bowlers. :ph34r:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year

1 Tendulkar
3 Viv
4 Kohli
5 de Villiers
8 Wasim
9 Murali
10 Garner
11 McGrath

- You pick Klusener, it weakens the bowling. Maybe you offset this was a batting allrounder as opener, maybe you don't even bother with that.
I think most people agree that Wasim/Murali/Garner/McGrath are the best 4 bowlers but I'm not sure that most people pick all of them. Pollock/Hadlee for one of the quicks seems to crop up a lot. Warne for Murali also possible I guess.

Also there are other views on how to solve the 5th bowler slot (@Red).

subshakerz

International Coach
MUrali and Mcgrath aren't locked. Hadlee, Pollock and Warne provide more to the team

Flintoff
Klusener
Pollock
Hadlee
Akram
Warne
Garner

And the top order of

Glichrist
Sachin
Viv
Kohli
ABD

this is the best team.
Seven bowling options is overkill. We aren't playing 60 over cricket. Remove Klusener or Pollock otherwise you will have an overload of SA chokedom that will sink this side.

Godard

U19 Vice-Captain
If you admit Kapil would be rash then that doesn't help in a chase. Need calculated hitting. Afridi type pinch hitters are often a liability in a chase. They are better for first innings last over runs.
You have ODI ATG bats till no. 6, and even after Kapil, have Akram. So both an ATG batting lineup, with people like Kohli who is generally as the greatest ODI batsmen ever when chasing, and Dhoni who averages close to 100 while chasing, and batting depth till 8. Hence I choose to take the risk of keeping Kapil at 7 due to high SR and explosive finishing. Also at 7, there are only 6 or so people who average above 30.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How does Pollock weaken the batting at 7 while Kapil is fine?

I also don't think either Flintoff or Imran will suck at no.7 as ppl are imagining them to.
I literally picked Pollock at 7 in my team lol. I do think Kapil's almost anachronistic strike rate makes him a better bat than Pollock, but yeah I picked Pollock anyway overall.

Kapil is definitely well-suited to 7 but probably neither really good enough to be a top 7 bat or a frontline bowler, which was the point I was making there by calling him bits-and-pieces at this level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think most people agree that Wasim/Murali/Garner/McGrath are the best 4 bowlers but I'm not sure that most people pick all of them. Pollock/Hadlee for one of the quicks seems to crop up a lot. Warne for Murali also possible I guess.

Also there are other views on how to solve the 5th bowler slot (@Red).
Edited my post.