• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilz

International Regular
So in last 1 year
1. We lost a Test at home to a below average
English side
2. Lost WTC final
4. Lost a WC match to PAK
5. Couldn't get into knockouts of T20 WC
6. Lost Test series to weakest RSA side since readmission.

We need a new batting order and a new approach .

subshakerz

International Coach
So in last 1 year
English side
2. Lost WTC final

Not so long as the cult of Kohli rules...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So in last 1 year
English side
2. Lost WTC final

Do we need a non panauti captain

Slifer

International Captain
Do you think they are better than Smith's SA? I also think they are best in the world atm mostly because of NZ and Bangladesh.
Honestly, it's very very close. On the one hand, India has dominated at home and are very good away. Rsa were very good at home and excellent (not dominant) away. Here's a question, were RSA ever white washed the way Kohli's team was in NZ?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly, it's very very close. On the one hand, India has dominated at home and are very good away. Rsa were very good at home and excellent (not dominant) away. Here's a question, were RSA ever white washed the way Kohli's team was in NZ?
They lost 2-0 in SL in 06 I think?

subshakerz

International Coach
No, they werent. They only lost two series at home during their 9 years unbeaten away.

Slifer

International Captain
No, they werent. They only lost two series at home during their 9 years unbeaten away.
Had India won this series I'd have given Kohli's team the edge. But they lost, and to a RSA team that was beaten 2-0 by SL. That's inexcusable IMO. plus the white wash in NZ. The two teams are still very very close fwiw.

sunilz

International Regular
SA series loss to me is the most shocking loss since England 2012 series defeat at home. We went in both series as favourites , won 1st Test and then everything was derailed.

subshakerz

International Coach
Had India won this series I'd have given Kohli's team the edge. But they lost, and to a RSA team that was beaten 2-0 by SL. That's inexcusable IMO. plus the white wash in NZ. The two teams are still very very close fwiw.
I dont think they are that close really. Smith's SA was flawed but not this flawed.

subshakerz

International Coach
SA series loss to me is the most shocking loss since England 2012 series defeat at home. We went in both series as favourites , won 1st Test and then everything was derailed.
I personally thought the England 2018 loss was worse, because India also entered that series as favorites and lost 4 out of 5 tests. I never rated India as highly as others since that series, since no great team IMO should be that beatable. Even Australia who havent won an Ashes in England in ages have never been beaten that badly there recently.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Still think this is a bit harsh. Subcontinent/SENA conditions are so different it's a huge deal for India to win there and/or vice versa. Winning in Aus last summer has given Indian fans too high expectations IMO
I don't think it's harsh in the context of trying to call this India team, or the teams that have played over the last few years one of the greatest, if not the greatest. Have you seen some of the posts here? I've been on a fair few cricketing forums, I've listened to professional commentators and India cheerleaders for years all saying the same nonsense.

Winning in Australia is terrific but so have England, WI, SA...anyway I won't get into all this, I've said my bit in my previous post.

I'll just laugh at the die hards and propagandists.

Slifer

International Captain
I dont think they are that close really. Smith's SA was flawed but not this flawed.
The 0-2 loss in NZ imo was the worst. But a series win in RSA, plus winning in Oz and England would've put India over imo. But they lost and to the weakest rsa team probably in my lifetime. So I'd give Smith's team the overall edge but they are close. India is just too good at home and are very good away. Imo that's enough for them to be in the conversation.

subshakerz

International Coach
The 0-2 loss in NZ imo was the worst. But a series win in RSA, plus winning in Oz and England would've put India over imo. But they lost and to the weakest rsa team probably in my lifetime. So I'd give Smith's team the overall edge but they are close. India is just too good at home and are very good away. Imo that's enough for them to be in the conversation.
That's the reason why I put Smiths SA comfortably ahead of Kohlis India. They were a much harder team to beat. They lost only two series to their bogie team Australia in 9 years, while India have been unbeaten at home but lost 4 series away, including three really bad ones (NZ whitewash, 4-1 to England and this SA loss).

Glad you are at least bringing that NZ whitewash to mention as others have forgotten it.

Dissector

International Debutant
Despite this loss I would give the edge to India because of their home dominance. Smith's SA was good but they were too inconsistent at home: drawing against India and England and losing twice against Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.