• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was the better bowler: Glenn Mcgrath or Wasim Akram?

Who was the better bowler: Glenn Mcgrath or Wasim Akram?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chrish

International Debutant
So McGrath never had a catch dropped of him then. Ludicrous post
Those occasions were few and far between though. Remember Warne and McGrath commenting once together and Warne mentioned he dropped one catch off of McGrath in his career and McGrath replied he doesn’t recall Warne ever dropping one from him.

Don’t know how true this is but goes to show you the quality of their cordon. South Africa was another team with strong slip men.

Gob

International Coach
Those occasions were few and far between though. Remember Warne and McGrath commenting once together and Warne mentioned he dropped one catch off of McGrath in his career and McGrath replied he doesn’t recall Warne ever dropping one from him.

Don’t know how true this is but goes to show you the quality of their cordon. South Africa was another team with strong slip men.
Yeah the slips were quality no doubt but quality slippers drop catches too. My point being that if you add drop catches to Wasim then you should do the same for McGrath too which would also reduce his average although not as much as it would to Wasim.
Anyway I'm not degrading Wasim. Both McGrath and Wasim are in the same tier overall. Wasim would be around six or seven while McGrath only behind Marshall in my list. My biggest beef with Wasim compared to others was that I can't think of many spells where he just cut through top orders to take big seven/eight wicket hauls. Same goes to Cummins thus far

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This event set the course of that series and without that Australia could have won or at worse retained the Ashes which would have resulted in Shane Warne's retirement at the end of that series. Would Aust have gone on to win 16 in a row without him? We'd never know. Space, time, reality. It's more than a linear path. It's a prism of endless possibility
They lost the 16 to England in the second test of that ashes, no? We may live in a world where James Anderson has more wickets than Warne, and that'd be hilarious.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree its all conjecture and therefore just a fun thing to think about as opposed to being seriously used to rate a player.

But implying having a better slip cordon could've somehow negatively affected a bowler, then in the same breath saying the bowlers around him would have lower averages (thus causing his to mysteriously go up) is one of the more wtf things I've read on here.
Wasn't saying that both would occur, just saying that either was a possibility. Didn't word in nearly as well as I could have doe, my b.

Gob

International Coach
They lost the 16 to England in the second test of that ashes, no? We may live in a world where James Anderson has more wickets than Warne, and that'd be hilarious.
16 tests in a row? No the run started in the 05/06 home summer after the perth draw vs SA where Rudolf made a ton IIRC. They've won five tests up to that point I think vs WI and the super test so a win in the perth test would have bridged the two streaks to 22. It was ended by India in 08 just as it was in 01

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I just want to point out that if akram had 10-15 fewer dropped catches his average would be in the low 22 to high 21 and all of a sudden he would be as good as McGrath. There’s a reason all the contemporaries say what they say
In Wasim's case
10-15 dropped catches = 10-15 % dropped catches

Then there is leaked boundaries.

Last edited: