• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still can't believe how ****ing incredible a game of cricket this was. Just great. Drama. Pressure. Skill.

So Buttler and Stokes have immortalised themselves as the men who stood up. This was England's greatest ever team and their best chance so they deserved it. No more than NZ though.

91Jmay

International Coach
We all know that it takes these sort of moments to actually get **** rules changed though. When Trevor Chappell bowled the underarm we didn't sit around saying "well you all knew underarm was legal before the game...."; we decided it was stupid and used the momentum created by the emotional backlash to change it. We can do the same thing here to change both NRR and the boundaries rule if we're smart about it (we aren't :( ).
What would you propose changing the laws to? Wickets is equally as arbitrary.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really don't mean to start throwing flames, but Kane not walking out instead of Guptill was a shame.

RossTaylorsBox

England obviously had some luck today especially those extra four runs. However:
1) They had the bad luck to lose tosses in both knockout games (and NZ won both of theirs).
2) They finished higher than NZ in the group stage
3) They beat NZ in their group match
4) They were much more dominant in their semi-final compared to NZ.
5) They have been the top ODI side of recent years.

Overall I think they deserve the Cup.
Probably shouldn't have had a final at all.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
England obviously had some luck today especially those extra four runs. However:
1) They had the bad luck to lose tosses in both knockout games (and NZ won both of theirs).
2) They finished higher than NZ in the group stage
3) They beat NZ in their group match
4) They were much more dominant in their semi-final compared to NZ.
5) They have been the top ODI side of recent years.

Overall I think they deserve the Cup.
Yeah, difficult to argue they don't deserve the cup overall. But it's about the game on the day, or why bother playing it?

Dissector

International Debutant
And yeah Boult should have done better with that catch especially since the other fielder was right in front of him. He was also lucky to get away with that full toss off the last ball of the 50th over and I think Stokes should have done better than hitting it for a single.

cnerd123

likes this
We all know that it takes these sort of moments to actually get **** rules changed though. When Trevor Chappell bowled the underarm we didn't sit around saying "well you all knew underarm was legal before the game...."; we decided it was stupid and used the momentum created by the emotional backlash to change it. We can do the same thing here to change both NRR and the boundaries rule if we're smart about it (we aren't :( ).
This isn't the first time a team has missed out due to NRR despite superior head to head record. For sure. So I don't think that won't chage

A ball going dead when it strikes a batsman or his equipment...that's a law that could be written it. But IDK why it hasn't yet. It could just be no one cared till now and so let it be, but maybe it's be thought about and changes considered and the custodians of the games went 'eh, nah, it's fine as is'. IDK. But if it's the former, then yea would be nice to see a change.

However moaning about that now just takes away from the moment. Which is my point. Like, at least wait a day right?

harsh.ag

I have no words. The trophy is shared in my head. Both champion teams. Thank god these two made it to the final! Only they could have provided such a mix of flash, grit, and nerves.

slippy888

International Captain
Guptill is New Zealand best striker of cricket ball but he seems a shell of the man he once was really by even trying to look for 2 last ball when he should have tried to hit 4.