• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** South African Domestic Season 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Watched David Bedingham bat earlier for Boland and whilst he only scored 40 he looks a different player to the precocious youngster that he was. He played spin so well and he looked to have a game plan and never panicked and then let natural shots and power take over. Another big season is in-coming.

For his contemporaries at the Cobras - Jason Smith and Dayyaan Galiem - they have fallen so far off it isn't funny. Fersico Adams is definitely ahead of both for me and should get the all-rounder role if Vernon Philander doesn't start the 4-day season with the Cobras but he should.

Janneman Malan just brought up his 100 for WP. Another looking like a big season is ahead.

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite a day for centuries in Africa T20 cup. Marais has 2 and then Wihan Lubbe (33 balls I think) & Janneman Malan also got.

Gauteng & Easterns have already qualified for next weekends Semi-finals. Border v EP & Northern Cape v Boland tomorrow decides the other 2.

Free State without their franchise contracted players really lacking depth. Quite a shock how poor they are. Not sure why 2 of their A grade potential in van Tonder & Coetzee aren't involved.

For WP I can understand the struggles. Got 3 schoolboys in the squad eventhough talented and a few debuts. But you can see talent in them and with games will get better. Galiem disappointing though. Had high hopes.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Galiem disappointing though. Had high hopes.
So did I. I guess that's the danger of hyping a player too much when they're young. People have been talking about him for years, but so far he just hasn't been able to step up to senior cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
So did I. I guess that's the danger of hyping a player too much when they're young. People have been talking about him for years, but so far he just hasn't been able to step up to senior cricket.
Yeah, I have heard that he is quite well off and maybe doesn't have the work ethic but we can't judge on that at all. Going to my former school I think most people thought he was going to make it big. Along with Murray Commins they were the golden boys but Zubayr Hamza 1 or 2 years their senior shows progression is never linear.

His bowling was always skillful and he picked up bucket loads of wickets but in senior cricket that is where he struggled most. So the talk was get stronger in the gym and try and get faster. But his batting hasn't really kicked on and that to me is the most disappointing because I think I always felt that was his stronger discipline.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Historically PE deserve a team; practically the town just does not give a damn and won't make anybody any money.... (about anything really, nevermind cricket).
I don't believe history should determine whether a town gets a team in 2018...PE and Durban have poor crowds, Bloem and the smaller grounds actually care about cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Trying to work out 4-day teams to start the season. Ratios give you a headache. Then when players just in 50-over team come back and you release T20 players only.

Titans

Elgar, Agathangelou, de Zorzi, de Bruyn, Behardien, Moonsamy, Makwetu, Morris, von Berg, Dala, Moreki

Reserve : Kuhn, Davids, Vandiar, A.Morkel, Hawken, C.Bosch, Mothoa (du Plooy)

SA 50-overs & T20 squad : Du Plessis, Ngidi, Shamsi
SA 50-over squad only : Markram & Steyn (do they play 4-day afterwards ?)
T20 squad only : de Kock & Dala

Dolphins

Erwee, van Wyk, Van Jaarsveld, Chetty, Muthusamy, Makhanya, Oakes, Frylinck, Dupavillon, Cele, Shezi

Reserve : Vilas (will they play him immediately?) , Savage, E.Bosch, Subrayen, Zuma, Mungroo (M.Ackerman & Roelofsen)

SA 50-over & T20 squad : Phehlukwayo, Tahir
SA 50-over squad only : Zondo & Maharaj
T20 squad only : Frylinck & Miller

Cobras

P.Malan, J.Malan, Hamza, Bedingham, Verreynne, Mgijima, Philander, Piedt, Paterson, Bokako, Nabe

Reserve : Smith, Galiem, F.Adams, Linde, Kleinveldt, Parnell (Afghan PL), Williams (Cohen)

SA 50-over & T20 squad : Duminy
SA 50-over squad only : Amla
SA T20 squad only : Paterson

Warriors

Cloete, Moore, Breetzke, Vallie ,Smuts,Qeshile, Fortuin, Birch, Magala, Nortje, Sipamla

Reserve : Ackermann & Harmer (not sure when available), Ngoepe, Walters (Kaber)

SA 50-over and T20 squad : Jonker
SA T20 squad only : Cloete

Knights

Mokoena, Mnyanda, Petersen, Second, van Biljon, Gous, Kruger, McLaren, van Schalkwyk, Olivier, Leie

Reserve : Nothing else matters outside van Tonder, Coetzee, Baartman

Lions

Cook, Rickelton, Bavuma, van der Dussen, Ramela, D.Pretorius, Mosehle, Fortuin, M.Pretorius, Siboto, B.Hendricks

Reserve : Lubbe, Valli, Rapulana, D.Hendricks, vd Bergh, Phangiso, Alexander (Burger)

SA 50-over squad only : R.Hendricks, Mulder, Rabada
T20 squad only : Vd Dussen

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
First time watching Durban schoolboy, Matthew Montgomery bat. Just seemed to miss out on SA u19 selection. From Clifton the same school that Nick Compton and Senuran Muthusamy went.

Looks organised and a proper batsmen. I think his involvement is Dolphins cricket trying to keep him. Reason I say this is because there seems a New Zealand connection in cricketers leaving KZN and I just mentioned that in the New Zealand thread.

We've actually seen CSA making efforts to keep Breetzke. And recently I read an article where WP cricket met with Jono Bird and his parents to see where his commitment lay.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
North West joins Gauteng & Easterns in semi-finals.

Ep v Border on the go and it could be a close one. All of Borders big guns ie Marais, Cloete, Vallie, Jonker are out and Kaber is spinning a web with his chinamen.

Take a bow Kaber. 60 off 40 with the bat & then 4 3-16 with the ball. Wonder how much cricket he gets at the Warriors. What happens with Harmer.

The more I think of it, we need more than 6 franchises more than ever. Even with all our Kolpaks we have loads of talent in SA sitting in semi-pro teams.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Africa T20 definitely putting names forward who aren't contracted for franchises.

Marco Marais (2 100s in 2 games)
Shane Dadswell
Wesley Marshall
Jurie Snyman
Kyle Nipper
Dyllan Matthews
Delano Potgieter

to name but a few.
Haha Snyman. Guns it in Scotland every year. Guy can hit a big ball

SeamUp

International Coach
Cobras in the Highveld for pre-season and runs continue to flow for the young guns Hamza and Bedingham. Opposition not much but Hamza carrying on from his progression over the last few seasons and SA A and Bedingham backing up his 100s for Boland with 2nd pre-season 100 for The Cobras.

WebSports.co.za - Game Stats

Not sure if link works but...

P.Malan 12 (18)
J.Malan 41 (84)
Hamza 91 (133)
Bedingham 100 (92) retired
Mgijima 8 (18)
Verreynne 4 (7)
Khomari 43 (60)
Smith 47 (59)
Adams 5 (8)

Kleinveldt 1 wicket
Paterson 4 0-8
Williams 10 1-35
Smith 5 2-41
Nabe 5 0-22
Linde 6 0-26
Piedt 10 0-6
Galiem 7 0-42

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Multiply Titans Abu Dhabi T20 squad (from): Albie Morkel (c), Andrea Agathagelou, Farhaan Behardien, Henry Davids, Theunis de Bruyn, Dean Elgar, Tony de Zorzi, Eldred Hawken, Gregory Mahlokwana, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Tshepo Moreki, Chris Morris, Alfred Mothoa and Shaun von Berg

No Wandile Makwetu & Corbin Bosch. Both not involved in Titans Bash or Africa T20. So assume injured.

Before this, the Titans take on Dolphins in start of 4-day domestic starting Wednesday.

Today is Africa T20 cup SFs

Central Gauteng v North West
Border v Easterns

SeamUp

International Coach
Migael Pretorius isn't overly quick (around 132-136kph) but he has a really good action (uses his height) and just bowled a peach shaping away to get the first wicket caught behind.

Ps with his size and smooth action he can get quicker

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Wiaan Mulder with 3 boundaries early on.

We've seen already how strong he is off the back foot on the off side. Advanced down the wicket for a straight drive for 4. Proper batsman.

SeamUp

International Coach
Migael Pretorius isn't overly quick (around 132-136kph) but he has a really good action (uses his height) and just bowled a peach shaping away to get the first wicket caught behind.

Ps with his size and smooth action he can get quicker
Definitely more suited to longer version cricket until he learns variation in length but I hope he starts the 4-day season for the Lions.

An example is Bavuma knew he would be back of a length outside off. Got inside the line and picked him up for 6. Doesn't hone in on the stumps or slower change up at this stage.

Really is going to be intetesting to see how the young batsmen and seamers progress this season.

SeamUp

International Coach
Marco Marais will be getting T20 contracts and more Warriors chances this season.

50 off 17 balls on 1 leg. He doesn't need to run.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Marco Marais will be getting T20 contracts and more Warriors chances this season.

50 off 17 balls on 1 leg. He doesn't need to run.
Doubts against franchise or pushing franchise quality quicks. 11 v EP & 0 v Gauteng.

Jonker in to warm up for Zimbabwe.

Carmi Le Roux & Nandre Burger best new ball partnership in tournament. Both left-armers that SA cricket can do more with. High 130s

Last edited: