• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Cricket - New TV rights negotiations/deal

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You can get Foxtel for as cheap as $39/month (Foxtel Now admittedly but still). Perfect if you're interested in more than one sport.
Yeah this is exactly what I do and it's great. Only issue I have is that it doesn't work on Firefox but that's not a big one haha. The PS4 app is great and works through Chromecast too.

Borges

International Regular
I'm quite excited (and very optimistic) actually, waiting for this brave new world of cricket coverage from Australia.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think they'll be much change. The production decisions made in the coverage of Australian sport are fairly similar across the board

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think they'll be much change. The production decisions made in the coverage of Australian sport are fairly similar across the board
Fox League is a pretty different experience to the league coverage on Nine. Fox's BBL coverage was pretty different to Ten's too, although granted the BBL itself was significantly different back then.

I think absolutely no ODIs on FTA is a really bad call from CA if they could've avoided it and got an even vaguely similar deal (and they probably could've IMO -- just take slightly less money from Fox and give Seven the right to broadcast the first two ODIs of each series or something) but on just a personal level I'm really looking forward to Fox Cricket.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This deal is going to hurt cricket in this country. Only getting the 5 tests and 43 Big Bash games on FTA is disastrous. ODI and t20 cricket is popular with the casual fans.

Myself, I will watch even less fta tv now. And I probably won't be getting Fox at the absurd prices they charge. I get Stan and Netflix for half the price of fox and I get a better service out of them.

Starfighter

The more I think about this the worse it seems. From a personal standpoint I wouldn't care if Fox got the whole Big Bash, but I agree with stephen that not having the limited over internationals on free to air is a very bad bad thing. It will erode people's interest in international cricket and direct it even more towards the T20 stuff. I sure as **** am not getting Fox.

But hey they pinched some extra $$$$$ over the Nine/Ten bid.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This is massive, pretty exciting tbh although I feel bad for Ten whos coverage of the BBL and also WBBL was very good.

Fox with their AFL and NRL channels also have lots of analysis-type programs throughout the week

Hope they replicate that on their cricket channel.
Its weird. I love the sport obviously but I dont really love cricket analysis programs that much. There is enough time for analysis during the game IMO.

The new channel will probably just show the Crash Craddock interviews on repeat.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It seems you're gradually imitating the English, of paywalling a popular sport until it becomes less popular that tiddlywinks. You'll just have to go the online illegal route which most English have been doing for years.

Still,

Every carrot, ehh?

Tangles

Will SS on fox mean no access via CA site? Less fta seems like a very bad idea for exposure and growth.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Will SS on fox mean no access via CA site? Less fta seems like a very bad idea for exposure and growth.
I would assume they will just play the CA feed verbatim, with it still available on CA site, given that it is just extra content to pad out a 24hr channel.

S.Kennedy

The difference between Australia and England in 2005 is Australia seems to be splitting their cricket into packages based on formats (test cricket, LO, Bash) and only some of these are going to a paywaller (correct me if I'm wrong but limited over internationals and just a few Bash games?). In England after 2005 they basically sold the entire rights to English cricket wholesale! It was like, ''there is this wonderful cricket (2005 Ashes) that you've gotten all energised and patriotic about, and now it is gone and you are not seeing this sport ever ever again''.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
CA's aim with the last deal was to expand its audience through BBL, particularly through families/women/children, which Ten helped it to achieve pretty significantly with BBL. The new deal appears to achieve the same thing, as it is arguable that 43 BBL games on Channel 7 (roughly the same number of games that have been on FTA in recent seasons) and test matches (which are rightly held above ODI/T20I's when it comes to Australia) means the two main competitions are on FTA while bringing in more money.

However, it is a rotten deal for long-time fans with no desire or ability to subscribe to Foxtel, who will lose out on ODI's, T20I's and the extra BBL games. If there isn't an increase in crowd attendance for ODI's then this may hasten the format's demise here, which it appears CA is happy to risk in order to get the extra money.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This deal is going to hurt cricket in this country. Only getting the 5 tests and 43 Big Bash games on FTA is disastrous. ODI and t20 cricket is popular with the casual fans.

Myself, I will watch even less fta tv now. And I probably won't be getting Fox at the absurd prices they charge. I get Stan and Netflix for half the price of fox and I get a better service out of them.
Stan and Netflix are exceptional value and if not for sport there is no way I'd fork out for foxtel for movies/tv when those options are so much better value. Bottom line is though if you want to watch sport youve pretty much gotta pay these days.

As mentioned you can got foxtel go with sport for $39 per month and thats with no contract so put it on as and when you want it.......personally I dont think thats "absurdly priced" its not even a cup of coffee a day.

S.Kennedy

Stan and Netflix are exceptional value and if not for sport there is no way I'd fork out for foxtel for movies/tv when those options are so much better value. Bottom line is though if you want to watch sport youve pretty much gotta pay these days.

As mentioned you can got foxtel go with sport for $39 per month and thats with no contract so put it on as and when you want it.......personally I dont think thats "absurdly priced" its not even a cup of coffee a day.
You do realise you are funding the Australian cricket team?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
It seems you're gradually imitating the English, of paywalling a popular sport until it becomes less popular that tiddlywinks. You'll just have to go the online illegal route which most English have been doing for years.

Still,

Every carrot, ehh?
Of these guys, I think Clarke is woeful, Healy can be ok when he isn't carrying on, I am a Chappelli fan although he grates as he becomes more senile, I really like Nicholas, he reads the game superbly and commentates appropriately, plus he is a class host, Lawry is just wonderful, although mostly past it now, Slater can be good, same as Healy, he carries on at times but generally reads the game ok, I love Tubby, everything about him, and Warne is a flog.

It's going to be very very strange in Australia not having Channel 9 do the cricket. I've never known anything else.

And it's so institutionalised. The theme song, my god, the theme song!

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

This is so deep in my psyche, telling me summer is here, and the best time of year is here. :(

Starfighter

Bring back the ABC theme I say.

I'm going to miss that tune quite a lot. I have no doubt whatever they replace it with will be absolutely craptastic.