• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pankaj Singh

Does Pankaj Singh deserve to play for India currently??

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
I don't like ****s who whine like this. Didn't like it when Badri did it and not liking it now. **** him. Thoroughly test Yadav, Aaron and Shami in test cricket in the next few years and then think of the others.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is what Pankaj Singh has grown up in. A state cricket academy in a state of utter disrepair, ruined by factionalism, politics. Not surprisingly, this article also mentions Rajasthan players not getting their chances at the top level.

Rajasthan's triangle of power, politics and personalities

If he's good enough for India, and proved himself over several years, he's entitled to a place in the national side. I'd rather have a real 30-year old who's fully fit than a barely-fit player who fakes his age in the 20s.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Don't know how you can call Marshall tall. He was five nine. Roach is five seven to five eight (whatever 172cm is) and he's one of the most promising bowlers in the world.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We're talking from an Indian point of view. Anybody at six feet or more is very tall here. Besides, many of India's pacers/seamers/swingers over the years were very short, and you hardly have any successful ones amongst them- the few successful pace bowlers from India were very tall by Indian standards. Even now, Bhuvneshwar Kumar has faded away quickly, Mohit Sharma, even quicker, while Shami Ahmed is still very far from perfect.

Roach or Malinga are rare examples, and they have plenty of pace to back them, which the Indians don't have. The norm is a pack like Anderson-Broad-Finn, or Johnson-Pattinson-Starc, or Tim Southee and Neil Wagner. While Steyn-Morkel-Philander are a little shorter, they have pace to back them up, while reserves McLaren and Lopsy are quite tall. With a few pocket rockets excused, fast bowling is still the big athlete's game.

Flem274*

123/5
Neil Wagner would be fortunate to be taller than Marshall. Trent Boult is the tallish one.

Bhuvi has barely played, so you can hardly say he faded away. Bounce has never been the issue with Indian bowlers, it's putting the ball down the other end at 125kph and hoping usually good lines and lengths will do the trick. While they can swing the new ball many don't have the box of tricks a Zaheer has or the unrelenting probing just outside off stump of a Philander. A bit of pace would do them nicely as well. If you're not producing many tall people but you only want to consider tall bowlers then you're reducing the pool too much. What you can do is get everyone bowling smarter and bowling quicker rather than probing with the new swinging ball and then hoping the spinners will do the rest.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
His rotten luck in making the Indian team seems to have followed him to the IPL auction. It's disappointing, coming off a six-wicket haul against Ranji champions Karnataka in the Irani Trophy, when all the other bowlers managed no more than one each. In his last two seasons, he's grabbed 72 wickets in 16 FC games, the Irani Trophy being the last.

More fodder for the Society for Justice to Pankaj Singh will be his figures against the Ranji powerhouses- Mumbai, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Delhi, Punjab, Baroda and Bengal- average hovering around 26, strike rate a little over 50, seven five-wicket hauls. He can perform against the top teams in the scene, surely, so he's got every right to ask for an India cap.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
I dont see him in the future indian test team since ISHANT has picked up wickets and the selectors and dhoni will favor ishant over others
also ishwar pandey is fighting for the spot.

pankaj singh is a good bowler who just missed out on making an impact at the right time.

All he can hope for is other bowlers to get injured and then perform in whatever chances he gets.

He should probably go and play county cricket or something.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Playing for CSK will get him selected for the Indian team(via CSK/ Srini's pets quota):ph34r: He should play for CSK for free.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont see him in the future indian test team since ISHANT has picked up wickets and the selectors and dhoni will favor ishant over others
also ishwar pandey is fighting for the spot.

pankaj singh is a good bowler who just missed out on making an impact at the right time.

All he can hope for is other bowlers to get injured and then perform in whatever chances he gets.

He should probably go and play county cricket or something.
That Ishant holds on to his place in the national side because of flash-in-the-pan performances shows what's wrong with the Indian cricket system. Pankaj could never get the right time to perform- the rope he got was much, much shorter than what Ishant, Jadeja, Ashwin and Bhuvneshwar have got. That we're seeing Indian selections based largely on age and not performance seems to go against him.
Playing for CSK will get him selected for the Indian team(via CSK/ Srini's pets quota):ph34r: He should play for CSK for free.
He can also consider shifting to Saurashtra, because selectors (or Dhoni?) seem to pick several players from that region at different times- particularly Jaydev Shah getting games in India A and Jaydev Unadkat playing a Test for India way before he was ready. BCCI also have a strong dislike for the association running cricket in Pankaj's home state Rajasthan, because of the Modi factor.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm sure he's bit of an outspoken dude as well. We all know how that turns out in our lovely country. Ridiculous that he hasn't got a chance yet.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is his bowling actually like?
This is based off youtube and like 2 matches but - 130-135ks, tall, very accurate. Doesn't get much swing, relies on seam movement, bounce, accuracy. He's not a world beater like Arjun makes him out to be, but there is reason to believe that he can do a job at Test level.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is based off youtube and like 2 matches but - 130-135ks, tall, very accurate. Doesn't get much swing, relies on seam movement, bounce, accuracy. He's not a world beater like Arjun makes him out to be, but there is reason to believe that he can do a job at Test level.
Yeah as I've said before I don't think India are missing a lot by not picking him, but it's been weird.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Willow TV seems to have complained. I don't believe he's a world beater, but he's defintely the best India have, and definitely worth the dollops of chances that Jadeja, Ashwin and Bhuvneshwar have got. Definitely a sensible choice, from what we have in India. Definitely more practical than, say, Umesh or Aaron.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah as I've said before I don't think India are missing a lot by not picking him, but it's been weird.
Oh we've definitely been missing out by not picking him.

Comfortably better than Ishant, Mithun, Sreesanth, Unadkat, Munaf, Vinay, VRV and RP Singh.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
daemon wac. i liked the posts before i tried to watch them.

bit hard to draw any conclusions from a couple of IPL balls. by his description though it sounds like he's worth a go. not like the others are setting the world alight.