• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's healthy for us going forward that we've won with just four bowlers

For a time, we've been stuck on the belief that we always needed that fifth bowler

Whilst it's preferable, it's often not necessary
Well, if there's always uneven bounce and Mitch takes 12 wickets, sure.

I really think you should always pick five bowling options if you don't have a world class wicket taking spinner though, assuming of course that an actually useful option is available.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What did he do differently in the two ODIs against England where he got smashed? Powerplays? Fielders?

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Well done aussies. emphatic win.

Think this game was one before the first ball with Clarke playing on Smiths ego with the two bowling attacks. And since then the aussies have had us on the ropes, with left and right hooks.

Gawd this hurts.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Please, please, please, let this make us drop the dead wood from our team.

At least the pitch and the bounce will be far more mild in the next two. Might even nullify MJ and our swing and seam can come into play.

Spark

Global Moderator
Please, please, please, let this make us drop the dead wood from our team.

At least the pitch and the bounce will be far more mild in the next two. Might even nullify MJ and our swing and seam can come into play.
Very, very dangerous if SA fall into that trap. The 2nd Ashes test comes to mind - Johnson has always been effective on slow, dry wickets too.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
^ I can remember having that thought process just before Adelaide.

I don't think anything short of quicksand will nullify MJ in this mood.

Spark

Global Moderator
I would honestly consider something approaching a greentop. It won't help Mitch as much as it'll help Steyn and Philander. Obviously that brings Harris and Siddle into play as well, but there aren't any outstandingly good options here IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very, very dangerous if SA fall into that trap. The 2nd Ashes test comes to mind - Johnson has always been effective on slow, dry wickets too.
He's effective on dry wickets because of that weird undercut he puts on the ball.

If it's slowish but with a bit of moisture and seams, that'll suit South Africa.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's effective on dry wickets because of that weird undercut he puts on the ball.

If it's slowish but with a bit of moisture and seams, that'll suit South Africa.
Yeah - something like an English deck would probably be the best shot.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I do think a slowish, dry pitch would hurt Johnson a fair bit. Obviously Adelaide was an exception but he clearly thrives more on a Brisbane style wicket than say something in the subcontinent. Not to say he wouldn't take wickets, but he'd be less effective for sure.

But it's not like South Africa have amazing bowling resources to take advantage of that type of surface either so I really think that would favour Australia even if it nullified Johnson a bit. I'd say SA's best chance is producing a surface that assists Steyn and Philander as much as possible, basically a greentop, and focusing on the fact that they have the more experienced top six in those conditions.

edit: Guess we're all saying the same thing.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Giving the Saffers a thrashing away is top stuff from the lads.

Catching up on the highlights. Holy crap how many arms and helmets did Mitch hit.

howardj

International Coach
Doesn't matter what level of cricket you've played at, it's just so overwhelming when an opposition quickie is on his game

Am I going to get hit? How am I going to get it off the square?

It's just so suffocating

I think the short turn around between games in this series will make it even more so

Shri

Mr. Glass
If Johnson stays fit, that 16 win streak of the old Aussie team is in danger. ****ing brutal fast bowling.