• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
2013/14 will be Tim Ludeman's last Sheffield Shield season. Calling it now.

And no, it won't be because he's too busy playing internationals...
TBF, I think the SA team balance would be improved by having Hughes keep wickets, at least in the short term. With McDonald not bowling, Botha's had to become an all-rounder batting at 6 to still provide 5 bowling options, and with the bat he isn't good enough to be there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBF, I think the SA team balance would be improved by having Hughes keep wickets, at least in the short term. With McDonald not bowling, Botha's had to become an all-rounder batting at 6 to still provide 5 bowling options, and with the bat he isn't good enough to be there.
Raphael keeps wicket in club cricket; I'd be looking at that before Hughes.

I think they'll just stick with Ludeman for the season and then make an offseason signing if he tanks it with the bat again (which he will) though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Thinking more as a potential international keeper-batsman package deal, not exclusively with the gloves.
Yeah, that wasn't the point of NUFAN's post though; he was specifically talking about keeping I think.

Along your line of thinking I'd probably list another seven or so players, honestly.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Raphael keeps wicket in club cricket; I'd be looking at that before Hughes.

I think they'll just stick with Ludeman for the season and then make an offseason signing if he tanks it with the bat again (which he will) though.
But Hughes should be a PONI with the gloves, for the ODI team. Haddin isn't going to be around forever and the rest of the country's glovemen are shunts in List A cricket.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, can't see anyone challenging Ludeman. He has Berry good support within the SACA setup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But Hughes should be a PONI with the gloves, for the ODI team. Haddin isn't going to be around forever and the rest of the country's glovemen are shunts in List A cricket.
Haha, I made a few jokes about how the management should consider Watlinging him but I don't think he's in any way keen on it. He did keep a bit in junior cricket but I don't think he's ever been a full-time wicket keeper for any serious cricket side before.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ofcourse Nevill is a better keeper than Haddin, not understanding your argument here.
The latter.
Just checkin'

Thinking more as a potential international keeper-batsman package deal, not exclusively with the gloves.
This is what causes confusion. I'm not suggesting Ludeman as a package is a better option because I admit his batting isn't up to it. I was encouraged last season when he did produce a string of decent scores and when he started opening in the big bash I felt he had a bit to work with, you know develop some more but unfortunately runs seem hard to come by for Ludes. As a keeper whenever I see him, I think he looks very tidy and component. I do like Hartley but he seems to for whatever reason drop a simple catch (not that regularly) but a little too often.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I was encouraged last season when he did produce a string of decent scores and when he started opening in the big bash I felt he had a bit to work with, you know develop some more
Didn't that basically just happen because all the bowlers in their infinite wisdom decided to repeatedly bowl short to him despite his whole setup being based around that?

I'd be highly surprised if that ever happened again. :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I made a few jokes about how the management should consider Watlinging him but I don't think he's in any way keen on it. He did keep a bit in junior cricket but I don't think he's ever been a full-time wicket keeper for any serious cricket side before.
Yeah, I understand it wasn't fully serious, but tbh he's a gun ODI top-order bat, none of our 'keepers do anything unless they open (and we've got way too many opening options as it is), and it lets us play a better batsman than the 'keeper would be. If he were keen for it, I reckon it would genuinely improve the ODI side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, I understand it wasn't fully serious, but tbh he's a gun ODI top-order bat, none of our 'keepers do anything unless they open (and we've got way too many opening options as it is), and it lets us play a better batsman than the 'keeper would be. If he were keen for it, I reckon it would genuinely improve the ODI side.
Funnily enough, I kind of think the exact opposite about the ODI side. With Watson and Faulkner in the side it pretty much automatically gives you batting down to eight with still maintaining five frontline ODI bowlers. I think it affords the side the luxury of picking the best gloveman in the country without worrying too much about the batting, as he could bat eight without any dramas to the balance of the side.

Where it gets confusing from that point is that the wicket keepers in the "best glovemen in the country but poor OD batsmen" category - Paine, Nevill, Hartley - all have very correct techniques and find it hard to improvise at times. At eight they'd be really out of place. It'd be fine if they were just hacks with the bat, but they're not.

Which leaves me basically just picking Haddin and hoping things get simpler by the time he's done. :p

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Funnily enough, I kind of think the exact opposite about the ODI side. With Watson and Faulkner in the side it pretty much automatically gives you batting down to eight with still maintaining five frontline ODI bowlers. I think it affords the side the luxury of picking the best gloveman in the country without worrying too much about the batting, as he could bat eight without any dramas to the balance of the side.

Where it gets confusing from that point is that the wicket keepers in the "best glovemen in the country but poor OD batsmen" category - Paine, Nevill, Hartley - all have very correct techniques and find it hard to improvise at times. At eight they'd be really out of place. It'd be fine if they were just hacks with the bat, but they're not.

Which leaves me basically just picking Haddin and hoping things get simpler by the time he's done. :p
Yeah, my original argument was going to be an all-rounder at 7, in case one of the frontliners shunts it (let's face it, one of them usually does). Then I realised that, when Clarke isn't playing and Smitteh takes his rightful place in the ODI side, I'd be NSW-ing the team:

Finch/Warner, Watson, Hughes +, Bailey*, Smith, Voges, Maxwell, Faulkner, Johnson, McKay, Doherty

Honestly, if Hughes works at it I can't see him being significantly inferior with the gloves to whoever is picked to replace Haddin (since it won't be one of the good-gloveman-but-poor-OD-batsman group; they'll probably go for Wade again), and it lets you keep Voges in the side for a bit longer. Arguably you could bring in Paine for Finch/Warner and keep the rest of the XI I've suggested there as-is, but apart from doing that I think Hughes with the gloves keeps the overall side stronger.

With your 'bat them at 8' suggestion, does NUFAN's boi Ludeman qualify as enough of a hack with the bat to find a way to improvise? What's Carters' glovework like?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I made the same revelation during the ODI series and believe it is worth a shot.

Beefy Boi wants Ludeman in the ODI team! :)