• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

FBU

International Debutant
Have to say, I was unimpressed with the game overall. Bell's innings was very good but hardly faultless, Shahzad and Woakes got some great movement but line deserted them. Yardy was decent but was played pretty badly. Only bowler who impressed me was Pattinson.

Still, it was a solid display from England and they were clearly a proffessional outfit. Fielding was excellent, in contrast to the PMs fairly poor effort.

And yeah, I'm getting annoyed with people tossing out words like "elegant" whenever Ian Bell makes runs. Learn to write. :dry:

He was the only one who impressed me as well. Hadn't seen him bowl before. If the fielding had been better he could have picked up a couple of wickets.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Copeland typically bowls around the 125-130km/h mark. And lol, he swings the ball a lot, Pup.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah but we are closer to nailing down the the side now than previous years. Normally you could pick from about 25 players even this close to the tournament.

Strauss
Davies
Trott
Bell
KP
Colly
Morgan
Wright
Bresnan
Swann
Yardy
Anderson
Broad

I think those 13 will all be in the WC squad so there are 2 places up for grabs. The next few weeks will sort out whether it is Shahzad over Tremlett etc....
I would say that those, plus Shahzad, Tremlett, Prior and Tredwell, will be the WC squad. Not what I'd pick - Woakes and Rashid over Wright and Tredwell for me.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Calling Copeland a seam bowler rather than a seamer is so odd. Most consistent swinger of the ball in Sheffield Shield cricket.

I never like the PM XI games. Should just select Australia A rather than selecting a mix of kids, no namers and international prospects

Ruckus

International Captain
Copeland typically bowls around the 125-130km/h mark. And lol, he swings the ball a lot, Pup.
Hmm that's a bit strange then. He was sub-120 a good deal of the time today. Speed guns weren't undercompensating either because Christian was hitting the mid 130's often. I hope your right though because sub-120 just won't cut it in test cricket. That's medium pace/Collingwood speed.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hmm that's a bit strange then. He was sub-120 a good deal of the time today. Speed guns weren't undercompensating either because Christian was hitting the mid 130's often. I hope your right though because sub-120 just won't cut it in test cricket. That's medium pace/Collingwood speed.
Colly does well to get to 120 these days tbh, he usually relies on his slower cutters. A good point though, Copeland just wasn't that quick today.

120s isn't always a bad thing - Mohammed Asif was typically bowling about 125 in England.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah that's what I mean though. He wasn't actually getting over 120-125 that often. I have to admit though I wasn't paying much attention to his speeds in his first few overs, so he might have intentionally dropped it to avoid leaking so many runs.

Btw doesn't Asif usally hit 130-135?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dan Christian is Australia's answer to Luke Wright.
Haha I actually said that on another forum yesterday. He's a bit better than Wright, but they are very similar. The main difference is that Christian actually scores runs in domestic LO cricket.

Ruckus

International Captain
125-135. I'm watching an extended highlights package including Asif right now.
Yeah I just watched some of his bowling against India as well. He has a wide range between 120-140, usually around the 130 mark. That's pretty much the same as McGrath, but from the few overs I took note of Copeland he wasn't getting anywhere near even the low 130's.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On Copeland, he's absolutely rubbish in one day cricket. He struggles to control the white ball for whatever reason so he ends up slowing himself down for control, and given he's not that quick to begin with and batsmen are looking to hit through the line (not to mention the fact that his control doesn't really improve much when he does it) he gets hammered.

Bowls a lot better (and a bit quicker) in general in Shield cricket.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah that's what I thought might have been the reason for his low speeds. After his first 2 overs, which were very sloppy, he actually looked quite in control though. Only leaked a few singles each over.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah his first over was rubbish, but his second though it went for plenty I thought was OK. Lot of edgy twos and the like as Bell/Davies kept giving him the charge.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
125-135. I'm watching an extended highlights package including Asif right now.
There's a lot of Asif in Copeland. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of Brett Dorey in Copeland. To be fair though, Dorey has an excellent Shield record and we never gave him a Test - maybe we should. :ph34r:

Howe_zat

Audio File
There's a lot of Asif in Copeland. Unfortunately, there's also a lot of Brett Dorey in Copeland. To be fair though, Dorey has an excellent Shield record and we never gave him a Test - maybe we should. :ph34r:
Better justification than the selectors have been using lately. 8-)

King Pietersen

International Captain
Magnificent innings from Ian Bell, he just has to play in the ODi series now. I'd probably have to drop Trott and bat Bell at 3. Harsh on Trott to leave him out, but Bell is in such good form it's impossible to leave him out. I guess if you were picking on form Trott would play ahead of KP and Collingwood, but I'd be very surprised if either of those got dropped.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I think it's worrying when the best bowler was the guy coming back from injury whos coming to the end of his career. Lee looked like an internaional cricketer. The others looked very average. If this is some of the new talent coming through, Id be very concerned about australias next 5 years.

Why was copeland selected if he bowls that slow dross in domestic one day games as well? Why not pick someone worth taking a look at. If he plays in the world cup or the odis with england, hes going to be cannon fodder.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's worrying when the best bowler was the guy coming back from injury whos coming to the end of his career. Lee looked like an internaional cricketer. The others looked very average. If this is some of the new talent coming through, Id be very concerned about australias next 5 years.

Why was copeland selected if he bowls that slow dross in domestic one day games as well? Why not pick someone worth taking a look at. If he plays in the world cup or the odis with england, hes going to be cannon fodder.
The selectors don't differentiate one day cricket from four day cricket in the way we'd like they to.