• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Sri Lanka 2010 - Tests

So what? Sehwag the player never defends? Or he never gets out attacking?

Sorry but I completely disagree with the blind policy of attacking on a dicey pitch. Agreed it might result in the odd Chennai 2008s, but more often, you'll get out in the process. Actually there is a reason why Sehwag averages 28 in the 4th innings isn't it?

As much as Sehwag's 83 helped to set up the win, it was Tendulkar's (and waterboy's) efforts which helped India cross the line. Are you seriously saying Sehwag's effort in that innings was better than Tendulkar's?

Whichever way you look at it, Sehwag's record in the 4th innings is inferior to Tendulkar's. There is no basis whatsoever in saying Sehwag's approach is better in the 4th innings than Tendulkar's. You are simply glorifying his best effort and conveniently giving a blind eye to the scores of failures otherwise.
Yeah which is why Sehwag got the MoM award too....

I don't really care about their overall 4th innings records tbh...I am only talking about who I'd rather have ATM.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yes, IMO. He laid the platform and made us believe that we could even attempt to chase 387 in under four sessions. Not taking anything away from Tendulkar and Yuvraj, of course.

Let me remind you of Tendulkar's innings in the '03 WC against Pak.. he got out with 100 or so runs to go. Yuvraj and Dravid at the crease with a fair bit of work to do which they did well, but Tendulkar won us that match.
Haha what?

Had Tendulkar not played that innings, would India have won? Would that Sehwag innings carried the significance that is being attached to it now? It works both ways. I am not denying Sehwag's efforts in that match. Yes, it was indeed an awesome effort, but it would have come to NOTHING if Tendulkar did not play that masterpiece.

WC 03 is a different case. By the time Tendulkar finished his innings, India had such a grip over Pakistan, all their bowlers were demoralised, the required run brought down to very manageable proportions. Further neither Dravid or Yuvraj had to score 100s by themselves to win the match. Remember when Sehwag got out in that match, India were 117, not even 30% of their required total.

As I said glorification of one innings, ignoring the scores of failures otherwise in case of Sehwag.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah which is why Sehwag got the MoM award too....

I don't really care about their overall 4th innings records tbh...I am only talking about who I'd rather have ATM.
So what is wrong with Tendulkar's 4th innings record of late to him being not considered ahead of Sehwag? Interesting you always take pride in objective statistical analysis and yet do not want to see the stats here.

akilana

International 12th Man
Haha what?

Had Tendulkar not played that innings, would India have won? Would that Sehwag innings carried the significance that is being attached to it now? It works both ways. I am not denying Sehwag's efforts in that match. Yes, it was indeed an awesome effort, but it would have come to NOTHING if Tendulkar did not play that masterpiece.

WC 03 is a different case. By the time Tendulkar finished his innings, India had such a grip over Pakistan, all their bowlers were demoralised, the required run brought down to very manageable proportions. Further neither Dravid or Yuvraj had to score 100s by themselves to win the match. Remember when Sehwag got out in that match, India were 117, not even 30% of their required total.

As I said glorification of one innings, ignoring the scores of failures otherwise in case of Sehwag.
How's that different? But you're comparing tests and ODIs and 117 off 15 overs is still a big ask. By the time Sehwag was done with the English, the bowlers were demoralized and there was a sense India would win it easily. Sehwag made it easier for all.. even Yuvraj got some runs if I remember well.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
contradictions. By the time Sehwag was done with the English, the bowlers were demoralized and there was a sense India would win it easily. Sehwag made it easier for all.. even Yuvraj got some runs if I remember well.
Prejudices at work.

1. Yuvi scored runs, doesn't mean it wasn't a tough chase.
2. When Sehwag left, India had not covered even 30% of the required total, which means there was plenty of time for England to make a comeback.
3. Also remember India fell to 224-4, on a 5th day pitch remember, and with Yuvraj and Dhoni to come, and another 163 runs to go, and Tendulkar just shut them out of the match.

There are no contradictions here, In the world cup match, India had already scored two thirds of their required runs with almost 23 overs at spare when Tendulkar exited. He had weathered the combined pace attacks of Wasim, Waqar and Shoiab successfully, and the remaining had to go at only about 4 per over to bag the match.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Oh man what a day that was. When I went to sleep we were comfortably winning and when I wake up everything is upside down. Dhoni was really defensive yesterday. He had an in-out field for Mendis too.

Can't really blame Sehwag for getting out. He is the reason we are still in with a chance to level the series. Really expected Dravid to turn it around here. Sad really sad. Where is the guy who stood up whenever India needed? Haven't seen him since 2006/7.

Now it is all up to Sachin, Laxman and Raina. I am hopeful for a win here but the only danger is Sachin becoming ultra defensive against Randiv. I am already excited for today and even if we lose really hope it goes close.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Prejudices at work.

1. Yuvi scored runs, doesn't mean it wasn't a tough chase.
2. When Sehwag left, India had not covered even 30% of the required total, which means there was plenty of time for England to make a comeback.
3. Also remember India fell to 224-4, on a 5th day pitch remember, and with Yuvraj and Dhoni to come, and another 163 runs to go, and Tendulkar just shut them out of the match.
Sachin was great that day but the only reason we had a chance to win the game was Sehwag. He truly deserved the man of the match. I wouldn't though trade Sachin for Sehwag today.

Sir Alex

Banned
Sachin was great that day but the only reason we had a chance to win the game was Sehwag. He truly deserved the man of the match. I wouldn't though trade Sachin for Sehwag today.
Only reason? That's taking it too far.

Without Sehwag would India have won? Debatable. Perhaps a late flourish from Dhoni/Yuvraj might have done the trick too. But would we have saved the match? Definitely.

But without Tendulkar would we have won the match? Or atleast drawn the match?

akilana

International 12th Man
S_A, sorry I was editing my post when you posted your last post.

You're comparing tests and ODIs. Tell me what's more demoralizing.. 98 off 75 in an ODI or 87 off 70(?) in a test?

When Sachin got out, India were still 100 runs behind with 6 wickets and 22 overs in hands. Pakistan could have easily made a comeback and this is an ODI we're talking about.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Only reason? That's taking it too far.

Without Sehwag would India have won? Debatable. Perhaps a late flourish from Dhoni/Yuvraj might have done the trick too. But would we have saved the match? Definitely.

But without Tendulkar would we have won the match? Or atleast drawn the match?
Without Sehwag's innings, I think, our team would have been more focused on saving the test. Without Tendulkar we would not have won the match too. Considering he and Yuvraj had a huge stand and finished the game. But Sehwag made it possible for Sachin to win the game.

So what is wrong with Tendulkar's 4th innings record of late to him being not considered ahead of Sehwag? Interesting you always take pride in objective statistical analysis and yet do not want to see the stats here.
Like I said,this has nothing to do with records.I am just saying that for this match,in this scenario,at this point in time I'd trade Tendu for Sehwag.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well I for sure wouldn't. S/R is not an issue in this game. Staying at the crease under difficult pitch conditions is but you are entitled to your opinion AK. It is a futile debate any ways.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
Like I said,this has nothing to do with records.I am just saying that for this match,in this scenario,at this point in time I'd trade Tendu for Sehwag.
The last time India were 3 wickets down, and 200+ runs short of target on the 5th day, on a subcontinental pitch, it was Tendulkar who led them to win.
Eerily similar situation this time too...

Teja.

Global Moderator
Avatar bet on India winning the match, if there is no natural intervention. 2 weeks. Anyone interested?