• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
OK So Hayden gone for 31...........a question for the aussies here......how much does he have to score minimum in his second innings to save his spot in your collective opinions?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That's it for Hayden in my mind. He worked hard and all and I think it was a reasonable call to pick him for this game, but he just looked out of his depth out there. There's several good opening options elsewhere in the country right now that we should be looking at for the SA tour.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's it for Hayden in my mind. He worked hard and all and I think it was a reasonable call to pick him for this game, but he just looked out of his depth out there. There's several good opening options elsewhere in the country right now that we should be looking at for the SA tour.
Yeah, that's it. Within reason, the number of runs is irrelevant, it's how he looks. And right now he's looking as if he's throwing absolutely everything at scoring any runs at all.

Briony

International Debutant
I think Hayden scoring runs in the second innings would only confuse the issue. He's deteriorated to the extent that he cannot inspire any confidence for the future, especially in England where he's always struggled. The selectors must blood either Rogers or Hughes in the republic and hope they come through. Hayden was unconvincing as he's been all summer, it's not just a form slump, it's terminal decline.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey just starting to get his mojo back, I reckon. That pull shot for 4 was really positive against a decent ball.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did anyone see the supporter tour ad for the Ashes with Merv and Skull? Right at the end Hughes says, "Remember what happened in 2005? Should we pack our whites Skull?" Great thing for one of our selectors to say...:ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, that's it. Within reason, the number of runs is irrelevant, it's how he looks. And right now he's looking as if he's throwing absolutely everything at scoring any runs at all.
It was sort of reminding me of Tendulkar 241 in 04, where he was leaving everything outside off & waiting for the bowlers to come to him.

With all the media pressure he has been getting, it was natural it was going to affect him & he was always going to take a cautios approach in this innings. Played some solid drives & when that full one came he played a bad shot. Only scratchy shot was that mistimed chip off Ntini that was almost caught.

No doubt he is not in his best form. But looking back at the Ashes when he really looked woeful, he doesn't look like a walking wicket since India at all.

So i'm still willing to work with him at least for the SA tour. (although a low second innings score could throw this reasoning out of the window).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Thoughts on a par score?

Bowling conditions haven't been bad today and I'd say 300-350 would be pretty good if things stay this way. It's been overcast all day though, which generally livens things up a lot at the SCG, and if the sun comes out batting could get really easy through the middle part of the test. Tough one to call, you'd probably want 400 to be comfortable though.

Mister Wright

That's a great ball to get Hussey! Looked worse than Hayden imo. Harris has the ability to get a wicket early in his spell.

Will it be McDonald or Haddin?

Mister Wright

Thoughts on a par score?

Bowling conditions haven't been bad today and I'd say 300-350 would be pretty good if things stay this way. It's been overcast all day though, which generally livens things up a lot at the SCG, and if the sun comes out batting could get really easy through the middle part of the test. Tough one to call, you'd probably want 400 to be comfortable though.
Will be lucky to get 300 atm.