• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Peter Fulton

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Peter Fulton of NZ is just 23,and already has a triple century.He has alot of promise,and with 1 or 2 more seasons of domestic cricket,I reckon he has a good(if not great)chance of getting into the Black Caps.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
He is a good elegant batsman
He will play for NZ 'A' along with guys like Taylor and Papps.
I think he will play for New Zealand some day, So will Ross Taylor.

anzac

International Debutant
I fail to see why we should have to wait another couple of seasons for these players as there are opportunities within the current squads......

while many are suggesting that the current crop of domestic prospects need a few more seasons to 'mature' b4 being introduced to the international arena, it is interesting to note the debut ages of the following players:

Fleming - 20
Astle - 23
Styris - 24
McMillan - 20
Cairns - 19
Harris - 20
Tuffey - 21
Butler - 20
Oram - 22
McCullum - 20
Vincent - 22
Wilson - 20
Franklin - 20
H Marshall - 20
M Hart - 21
M Horne - 26
M Bell - 21
Sinclair - 24

now lets compare the current contenders:

Papps - 24
McIntosh - 24
Fulton - 24
How - 22
Nichol - 20
Ryder - 19
Taylor - 19
Stewart - 22
B Martin - 23
Scott - 24
N McCullum - 23
Gillespie - 24
Sherlock - 20

many international players from the sub-continent sides already have well established international careers by these ages.......as did some of our current players.......

:ticking:

Mingster

State Regular
Ages doesn't matter. It's their experience at the domestic level, and you could hardly say Scott, McIntosh, How, Nicol, Ryder, Sherlock have done enough to warrant selection. You need more consistent seasons to be a contender for higher honours.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I didnt say they needed the seasons to 'mature' I meant so that they are consistent,and arent just having a lucky run of form.

But fulton should play SA,because he is in form and has got HUGe promise.

anzac

International Debutant
fair enough and I'd agree that Sherlock & Ryder need more consecutive games b4 laying claim to squad selections, however how much more experience could the current internationals have had when making their debuts at 20 - 22 yrs??

I know stats are a bad basis, however just as an indicator.....

current stats:
Papps = 44 FC @ 37, 35 Shield @ 33;
McIntosh = 41 FC @ 39;
How = 21 FC @ 36, 24 Shield & 22;
Nichol = 26 FC @ 41, 19 Shield @ 20;
Taylor = 10 FC @ 27, 10 Shield @ 65;
Fulton = 19 FC @ 50, 22 Shield @ 39.

in comparisson:
Jones = 67 FC @ 32,
Cumming = 69 FC @ 35, 70 Shield @ 18;
Vincent = 50 FC @ 31, 114 Shield @ 25;
Styris = 62 FC @ 30, 149 Shield @ 29;
Oram = 40 FC @ 32, 110 Shield @ 24;

scott = 9 FC @ 26, 10 Shield @ 21;
Gillespie = 17 FC @ 23, 23 Shield @ 29;
B Martin = 41 FC @ 29, 30 Shield @ 25.

Taylor & Fulton have no more experience than the likes of Scott, and Gillespie has about the same exposure, yet you didn't challenge their naming..........

:) :cool2:

nibbs

International Captain
You can't just throw a whole lot of young players into the deep end straight away. Brendon McCullum got chucked in way too soon, and the results were there for everyone to see. I think you've got to ease them into the side, and take it from there. I reckon you should pick a player because they are one of the best 11 players in your country. I often get the feeling on certain tours that there seems to be a lot of experimentation with the NZ team. Its just wrong...