• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Sri Lanka

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Tough to say.

England beat Sri Lanka in the ODIs, in Sri Lanka.
England losts to India in Tests, In England.
Sri Lanka lost to Australia, but showed signs of improvement.

I would have to say Sri Lanka at home.

pasag

RTDAS
Will be a very good and close series. England to put in a spirited performance but SL should be just a tad too powerful with Murali. 2-1 SL for mine.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kapugedera scores a ton, after Tharanga hit one. (Y)

Must be some dire bowling though even Kandamby scoring some runs.

Also on a unrelated note has anyone heard anything about Riki Wessels, his Kepler Wessels son. His playing some domestic cricket over here this season for Nondescripts. His started off pretty well 151 @ 50 with a highest score of 83, opening the batting. Also a handy keeper from all reports. Is he over here just to get some cricket in the off season, or was he de-listed by Northampshire and looking at permant move?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
who are favorites for this series
SL by a mile assuming Murali stays fit. 2 or 3 - 0 is the likeliest outcome.

Looking at the current warm up, England have managed to drop another catch this morning - their 4th of the game to date, 3 of them sitters. Sometimes, you really wonder about standards in England. Two of the drops have been off Panesar's bowling, who seems to have come back quite well after his 20-run first over yesterday. Swann's just looking expensive and unthreatening though. Some of the quicks - Hoggard & Broad in particular - have been economical, so it's currently looking like 3 of them plus Panesar in the first test. Early days though.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why the **** isn't this a First Class game? Get ****ed England, sick of them and their poxy tour matches that don't count for diddly squat.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Why the **** isn't this a First Class game? Get ****ed England, sick of them and their poxy tour matches that don't count for diddly squat.
What are they supposed to do given the current vogue for flying half way across the world to play all of 2 games before a test series? Blame the pea-brains who came up with the current schedule, not the players who have to cope with it.

Perm

What are they supposed to do given the current vogue for flying half way across the world to play all of 2 games before a test series? Blame the pea-brains who came up with the current schedule, not the players who have to cope with it.
I'm not blaming the players at all. It just seems to happen quite a bit with England, whenever they tour they feel as though it's best to play these ludicrous games. Happened in Australia and it's happening now. Despite the best efforts of Upal Tharanga and Chamara Kapugedara, their efforts may aswell count for nothing, because they won't be credited with those FC runs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not blaming the players at all. It just seems to happen quite a bit with England, whenever they tour they feel as though it's best to play these ludicrous games. Happened in Australia and it's happening now. Despite the best efforts of Upal Tharanga and Chamara Kapugedara, their efforts may aswell count for nothing, because they won't be credited with those FC runs.
Oh I see what you mean. Yes, it's a shame for those guys, but that's about the extent of it. The alternative is players come into tests with little or no time in the middle, especially with no games betwen tests usually. I can see why some people hate it - I know Richard feels the same way as you - but I'd do the same if I was running the side. Much good that it did us in Aus, of course, and I suspect the same will be true here.

Perm

Oh I see what you mean. Yes, it's a shame for those guys, but that's about the extent of it. The alternative is players come into tests with little or no time in the middle, especially with no games betwen tests usually. I can see why some people hate it - I know Richard feels the same way as you - but I'd do the same if I was running the side. Much good that it did us in Aus, of course, and I suspect the same will be true here.
You would continue to have these 16 or 12 a side matches that don't have FC status? I'd much rather the two tour games before the 1st Test be FC games, that way the players actually have something to show for their efforts, particularly the Sri Lankans.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
This would be Kapu highest FC score btw. Does anyone really think that a squad gets much more game by letting 16 guys play rather then 11 players. You go into matches where bowlers are half fit as they bowl less overs. Batsmen bat out of position so they can't really push for spot in the side. Say Prior scores runs at No 9, does that shown anything to his ability to bat at 7 in Tests.

Perm

This would be Kapu highest FC score btw.
Indeed, but what credit does he get? Almost none. This is probably the best attack he's faced outside of Test cricket, yet the runs he scored count for very little in his career.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Kapu cares about stats too much though, apart from how many fours and sixes he hits.

But really the other thing from England POV is their slips cordon and the lack of practise they will get. With no Trescothick, Strauss & Flintoff this will be a new look slips cordon. In these matches generally the bowlers stay on the field a fair bit, so the batsmen are likely to be on and off the field. Meaning guys like Cook and Pietersen might not get much time in the slips, or whoever they want to play there.

Really I can't see any advantage England are going to get from playing 16 players. Also TBF to England most countries do it now.