• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** South Africa v India in Ireland

Nishant

International 12th Man
Well I certainly don't think Zimbabwe should have ODI status and haven't for 4 years, and have never believed Bangladesh or Kenya deserve it either... though that may soon change in the case of the former.

Even if you did give it to all of the aforementioned, though... I'd still not be in favour of Ireland having it, any more than I would for Jamaica or Trinidad&Tobago.
thats fair enough TBH...i guess what is difficult to accpet is the fact that ireland are not considered a separate nation....and it doesnt help when most of their players would aspire to play for england. Also, they dont have a domestic structure...especially as they, themselves are a domestic team. So, fair enough!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
So are Jamaica and Barbados and nothing you say can change the fact that they don't play in international cricket as themselves, but their geographical region.

Political nations and international cricket teams do not neccessarily go hand-in-hand.
Yeah because they CHOOSE to, if they wanted to play separately they COULD. Political nations playing themselves isn't necessary but it's common for the most part unless those nations choose to play together, like East Africa etc. did but then they broke away because Kenya wanted to be a separate team and so on. Does Kenya have to play as East Africa still because they did before? No. Same concept except that Irish may have represented England longer, which they had to other choice anyway until they separated.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I do not think the geographical position or governing of Ireland are of importance. I just believe that clarification is necessary as to their position as a country/county.

The idea of having Scotland and Ireland play in the Friends Provident Trophy seems good. However, if both wish to be ODI teams (which Ireland are as of 1st January 2006), schedule conflicts would be rife and prior planning must deal with that. I believe the best way to combat this would be to have Scotland in the Friends Provident Trophy but as a full ODI team, Ireland cannot and should not play in it.
Both Scotland and Ireland are ODI teams nothing is different in them except that Ireland is in the main ODI rankings now while Scotland like the other 4 ODI associates are in the associate rankings. There is no need for a clarification of county and country because the reason they are playing in the county is to get better, like Bangladesh did in it's early days playing A teams, they are just doing so to get better. Netherlands was in it last year.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Neither are different. Ireland have only been defined as a separate cricketing country since I$C$C got crazed on the "Global" goal in the mid-1990s.

The fact that Ireland is a different political nation from England is irrelevant - it does not mean their cricketing territory cannot be one. And it has been one - and continues to be even despite Irish players facing the obstacle of having to qualify for England.
WHY ISN'T WALES DEFINED AS SEPARATE CRICKET COUNTRY BY THE ICC THEN?! cause if it was like that they could have, it isn't like that. Scotland and Ireland choose to be separate teams while Wales, and the Windies didn't nothing to do with the ICC.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
thats abit harsh...ireland beat pakistan and bangladesh in the WC...they deserve status...with that, though, they should not be a county team as well.

But...i guess what ur trying to say is that for the big teams to play ireland would be a waste of time more often than not.
No, big teams playing them wouldn't be a waste of time for their development. Not the developement of their players but it would be a big thing for the development of cricket in the nation. Are you seriously telling be could be thinking about getting to semi-pro level without getting ODI status and not playing teams like India and South Africa? No.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ireland/content/story/294069.html

As for playing as a county team, they are doing that to get better; the current players I mean, Holland did the same last year and Bangladesh did but playing with A teams.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
The best thing would be to have both play in the Friends Provident and neither get recognised as ODI sides.
Both qualified through and made the top 5 of the qualification process and should be recognized as ODI status teams. Playing standards is up to point of view but is not the same as ODI status.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Yorkshire could quite conceivably have beaten Pakistan in the World Cup too. In any case, I don't think the prospect of Ireland being a long-term ODI side is realistic, because their best players will always want to - quite rightly - play in and for England. Not to mention the fact that interest in the game has never been exactly high enough to maintain a county-standard, never mind international-standard, team.

Ireland have always been more equivalent to a county than a national side... and only because I$C$C are obsessed with making the game look Global are they being considered a separate national side.
Yorkshire isn't a separate team is it? Their best players will keep going to England until it becomes at least semi-pro(oh wait there's talks about that already) or if they want to play test cricket which will change if they get test status which isn't so heavily focussed at for playing standard rather more to a countries system and facilities.

Why the **** don't you get that, if it was due to the ICC that Ireland and Scotland separated from England than Wales, and the Windies would be separated too, but are they no. This is just a false statement which you keep making but never back it up.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
True...they look more of a county side...and a i also agree that their existence as an ODI side does look in doubt...but i think we ought to give them a chance. If Zimbabwe and Kenya still have ODI status, then do should Ireland...that what im trying to say.
All top 6 associates have ODI status because they qualified through the requirement. Without ODI status this teams wouldn't get games against full members and now at least they have each other to play against which Kenya before couldn't do because it was the only country with ODI status(although they did use to play against Bangladesh more often when it was also a ODI status team before it become a test status one).

All 6 associates have to go through a check up every 4 years kind of. If they qualify for the next world cup they will retain their ODI status but if not which would mean they went backwards they will lose it and some other country will get a chance. Not a bad thing.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Well I certainly don't think Zimbabwe should have ODI status and haven't for 4 years, and have never believed Bangladesh or Kenya deserve it either... though that may soon change in the case of the former.

Even if you did give it to all of the aforementioned, though... I'd still not be in favour of Ireland having it, any more than I would for Jamaica or Trinidad&Tobago.
ODI status and Test status is more than just playing tests and ODI's. Money has to do a lot with it. I went over this before. In short to get better you need money, to get money you need be playing against top teams to do that, you need ODI/Test status which you get you sponsors, funds for improvements and system which will get you up to the ODI standard or Test standard. The ICC isn't rich enough to provide enough money for them to improve so they realistically to get to the level you need to get the status 1st. If you want to get a better explanation of this you can go look up my post which I basically explained the same thing and I think it was to you too but may not be.

If Jamaica or Trinidad&Tobago wants to separate than they would but right now they don't want to.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
thats fair enough TBH...i guess what is difficult to accpet is the fact that ireland are not considered a separate nation....and it doesnt help when most of their players would aspire to play for england. Also, they dont have a domestic structure...especially as they, themselves are a domestic team. So, fair enough!
Ireland is a separate nation. In political terms and since they choose to in cricketing terms. Not so hard to get. Their players don't aspire to play for England but since they can't play test cricket or doesn't really much get money playing for Ireland they have to play for England; which is likely to change in terms of money a bit and will change a whole lot if they get test status which again can be achievement even if they don't have test quality players due to them playing for England. Much more things to test status than playing standards. A lot of the associates don't have a structure which goes back to not having the funds for it which like I said above, needs them have ODI status for them to move forward. And they do have a system going for the Under 16s etc which they won in all the levels in the european championships.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah because they CHOOSE to, if they wanted to play separately they COULD. Political nations playing themselves isn't necessary but it's common for the most part unless those nations choose to play together, like East Africa etc. did but then they broke away because Kenya wanted to be a separate team and so on. Does Kenya have to play as East Africa still because they did before? No. Same concept except that Irish may have represented England longer, which they had to other choice anyway until they separated.
Were East Africa a serious nation? No. Are England? Yes.

Therefore, any other parrallels are utterly irrelevant.

R_D

International Debutant
No because Kent and Yorkshire didn't choose to become a separate team.
hmm even if they chose to i doubt ICC would grant them the status of Int cricket team for starters they aren't a seperate country.

Ps-i thought my computer was playing up when i saw 9 or 10 posts for same guy. lol:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WHY ISN'T WALES DEFINED AS SEPARATE CRICKET COUNTRY BY THE ICC THEN?!
Because fortunately The ECB got there first, and made such a thing impossible. It's a shame they didn't manage the same with Scotland and Ireland... in fact, it's a shame people didn't do that back in 1903 which was the time things should really have been properly classified.
cause if it was like that they could have, it isn't like that. Scotland and Ireland choose to be separate teams while Wales, and the Windies didn't nothing to do with the ICC.
No, I$C$C wanted more teams to make the game appear more Global. Otherwise neither Scotland or Ireland would have been taken seriously as international entities, because both have historically been weaker than the weakest First-Class county.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Both qualified through and made the top 5 of the qualification process and should be recognized as ODI status teams. Playing standards is up to point of view but is not the same as ODI status.
Playing standards is all that matters where ODI status is concerned!!!!!!!! If a team isn't good enough, it shouldn't be demeaning the integrity of the international game.