• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Experimential Team for Success

inbox24

International Debutant
Hey guys

I'm pretty new at this game so forgive me if this has been proposed before. But let's say I start a new international career and dump all the players in my team and start from scratch. Now for my international playing XI, I pick only youth players (preferably less than 22 years old) who have played a handful of first class games, but still with relatively decent records. For example a batsman averaging 50 with the bat from 5 first class matches or a bowler averaging 25 from from matches.

Now I build a team solely from these type of inexperienced but potentially talented players and play them in my XI at all costs. So it doesn't matter if they're out of form, or we lose every game or whatever, I just keep picking these XI players. Of course I would give them technique or batting practice when needed etc.

Now the question is, would I be able to build a world beating team this way, say in a matter of 2-5 years? If not how long would it take? Or on the flip side, is this a recipe for ending up with players averaging 10 with the bat and 100 with the ball?

Also, how do you improve someone's form. Let's say I've got a youth player with massive potential but he's woefully out of form at the moment (e.g. 1.5 star) and this is obviously causing bad performances. How would you rectify that? Give him practice at the expense of technique or what?

Thoughts on this?

Much Appreciated.

EDIT: I'm using ICC2008 not sure if this is different for different versions

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey guys

I'm pretty new at this game so forgive me if this has been proposed before. But let's say I start a new international career and dump all the players in my team and start from scratch. Now for my international playing XI, I pick only youth players (preferably less than 22 years old) who have played a handful of first class games, but still with relatively decent records. For example a batsman averaging 50 with the bat from 5 first class matches or a bowler averaging 25 from from matches.

Now I build a team solely from these type of inexperienced but potentially talented players and play them in my XI at all costs. So it doesn't matter if they're out of form, or we lose every game or whatever, I just keep picking these XI players. Of course I would give them technique or batting practice when needed etc.

Now the question is, would I be able to build a world beating team this way, say in a matter of 2-5 years? If not how long would it take? Or on the flip side, is this a recipe for ending up with players averaging 10 with the bat and 100 with the ball?
There seems to be a certain element of improved performance with experience but I'd say iIt all depends on how good the players are to start with and what they're capable of as to whether you'll have a team of world beaters or a team of dirt trackers TBH. Remember that with ICC 2008 there are more options with regards technique training, and I haven't fully tested those yet, but while they're bound to eventually improve a player's ability, I guess you can only train so much into a player.

Also, how do you improve someone's form. Let's say I've got a youth player with massive potential but he's woefully out of form at the moment (e.g. 1.5 star) and this is obviously causing bad performances. How would you rectify that? Give him practice at the expense of technique or what?

Thoughts on this?

Much Appreciated.

EDIT: I'm using ICC2008 not sure if this is different for different versions
Its a tricky one because I've had players regain form in county matches before, whilst others who have dropped to the second team end up with their form worsening, rather than improving. Like above I don't think theres a definitive answer. In my opinion, the best way is to give batting or bowling training, or hope that the player will recover in the second team (which happens generally eventually).; But if you're brave and think you can't do without the player, stick with them in the first side and apply the theory that a good player out of form is still better than a bad player in form.