• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day Batting Tactics

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Hey guys im having some big issues trying to work out how to get the most out of my batting line up in ODIs. My main problem is what aggression levels is the best to play in ODIs. My team generally gets rolled for under 200 or gets in between 220 to 280. I never seem to be able score over 300 and never seem to be able to keep wickets in hand when im going at a good rate. When i slow down my aggression i still lose wickets at a regular pace.

I've experiemented with going at 3 at the start and building to 4-6 as i get in and i always seem to get out once i increase my aggression. I tired 4 and build to 5 and 6, but i score really slowly and then lose a wicket when i increase my aggression. I tired starting at 5 and moving to six when i get in and i just lose wickets quickly.

Im kind of lost now and i don't know what to try, as nothing seems to work. A lot of probably has to do with the fact that most batsmen average in the low 30s or 20s. But even when i bring in new batsmen averaging 40 odd in FC cricket. They never seem to be able to score runs.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I normally try batting at 5 from the start, and possibly moving down to four if I lose wickets.

If I have wickets in hand after 35 overs, I'll move it up to six, and if I have five or so wickets in hand after 44 overs, I move it up to all out agression.

That usually gets me to 250 barring disaster, and if I don't lose early wickets, that can push beyond 300.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hey guys im having some big issues trying to work out how to get the most out of my batting line up in ODIs. My main problem is what aggression levels is the best to play in ODIs. My team generally gets rolled for under 200 or gets in between 220 to 280. I never seem to be able score over 300 and never seem to be able to keep wickets in hand when im going at a good rate. When i slow down my aggression i still lose wickets at a regular pace.

I've experiemented with going at 3 at the start and building to 4-6 as i get in and i always seem to get out once i increase my aggression. I tired 4 and build to 5 and 6, but i score really slowly and then lose a wicket when i increase my aggression. I tired starting at 5 and moving to six when i get in and i just lose wickets quickly.

Im kind of lost now and i don't know what to try, as nothing seems to work. A lot of probably has to do with the fact that most batsmen average in the low 30s or 20s. But even when i bring in new batsmen averaging 40 odd in FC cricket. They never seem to be able to score runs.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks
I start with two aggression, after four overs increase it to 4 and steadily increase it so that at the 9th or 10th over both the openers are on seven aggression. Generally it depends on wickets in hand and runs required but after the batsman starts hitting a couple of boundaries within an over of each other I put the aggression up to 7 and keep it there until they get out.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I look at conditions pre-inings, and then make a realistic target from that. Then I try to get within 160 runs of that target with 20 overs to go (so after 30 overs in an ODI), losing as little wickets as possible, then lump it on full agression for the last 20, playing it like a 20/20 game.

cricman

International 12th Man
Depends on Team FC average etc. Take example if use Tamim Iqbal FC average 53 and pitch is a flat track then I keep him on V. Aggresive and I get a 80 ball century from him and if you get a new basmen in on the 35th over play him agressive perhaps on 4 the second your in the 43rd over put him on 6 or v.agressive and bound to get lots of runs in final 7 with a RR close to 10.

graydon_123

Cricket Spectator

Any help would be nice.

Thanks
I just put my openers both on full aggression and half the time i will get 10 an over for a good 20 overs then i jst leave it on full agression or take them down to about half for 20 overs then raise them bak up with 10 overs to go...u can score over 400 quite regularly...well i do atleast (with the occasional collapse hehe but jst adjust strategy if that happens):laugh:

Isura

U19 Captain
For batting first; evaluate the conditions and the bowling lineup. On flat tracks and sunny condtions I start on 3 bars, but look to get up to 4 or 5 bars quickly (within 5 overs) and try to build a partnership. Aim for around 5/over in the first 20 overs without losing more than 2 wickets. In the middle overs I have my set batsmen at 6 bars (2 less than max), and new batsmen come in at 3 bars. If the new batsmen is scoring quickly I DON"T increase their aggression too quickly, because there is no need to take unnecessary risks. Try to have atleast 1 set batsmen for the last 10 overs. Also, when you have 2 set batsmen with 1 or less wickets down, really step up the aggression in the middle overs and cash in (I find this works better than waiting until the last 10 overs, since the set batsmen tend to get out anyway but at that point there isn't time to build a new partnership). Last 10 overs is straightforward, just start people on 5-6 and move up close to max when they are slightly set.

Batting second is all about staying up with the run rate. Try to get a decent start and don't lose wickets. Be aggressive when set and try to get the required run rate below 5, so that you can then coast from there.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Been sick with the flu the last week, so I started playing ICC a bit more. I'm started to get the hand of batting in ODs. Putting together some gun OD batting performances. Thanks for the advice guys. Might start a Sri Lanka Thread soon, now I got the hang of batting in this game.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
try this

put both your openers on aggressive, if they are still together at 26 overs put them on full as well as your number 3 and everyone else on just aggressive until over 40 then put it on pull, if you lose a wicket before then still have your number 3 on aggressive and if they are still together at 28 overs turn it to full. if you lose 2 wickets start at over 30 put people on aggressive to full blast while from batsmen 4 downwards start at 4 bars unless you have crossed the 26 over mark with no wickets down.

simple way

0 wickets 26 overs - put on full blast - new batsmen on just aggresive til over 40
1 wicket 28 overs - full blast - new batsmen on just aggresive til over 40
2 wickets 30 overs - the top 3 batsmen on full blast and the other on just aggressive
3 wickets 32 overs - same as above
4 wickets 34 overs - same as above

hope it all makes sense, it works for me perfectly

Xeno

Cricket Spectator
Hey there, I approach my OD batting tactics a bit differently. Like I do with most of my tactics, I approach in I guess what you would call 'mini' landmarks. My OD batting tactics seem to work especially well.

What I do is, every single batsman starts at 4 bars, and from there, calculate on the 'mini' landmarks. These are

4 bars (half) settled
8 bars (full) settled
30 over mark
40 over mark.

Each of these result in 1 bar of aggresion added.

IE, Openers start on 4 bars, after a batsman reaches half settled, will go to five. Once he reaches the 30 over mark, he'll be on 6, then full settled will put him to 7, then 40 over mark will put him on 8 (full) aggresion. That would be around what you do if your opener carries his bat. Say you lose a wicked in the 35th over, that would mean defaultly putting him at 4, but before bowling a ball, you'd see its passed the 30th over, so you'd start him on 5. Sounds complicated? It's not. Just remember those 4 milestones in the game for each batter. All you are keeping your eye on is the settled rating and the over the game has come to.

People may say 'so, if you were only 2 wickets down, with 5 overs to go, and someone gets out, you would only have the new batsman at 6 aggresion?!'
Answer? Yes, that's right. I've noticed that when new batsman come in, no matter how good, the played and missed shots when on full agression results in an actual lower run rate scored than if they were batting on 6 aggresion. But I guess that's for you to decide.

I Guess that's my two cents.

Bowling is where I have the problem....