• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah I love Novak but if he cbf being number 1 anymore that is good for tennis, lol.

I don't just want one person to win for 20 years and don't care about any other player, like you, Burgey and vcs :ph34r:

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murray deserves No. 1 TBF, though he's won fewer Slams this year, he's been so consistent over his career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
not until he beats Nole in 5 he doesn't imo. Its not like Nole's been super inconsistent. He's just dropped off in the second half. Nole's still outperformed him in 3/4 slams

vcs

Yeah, we can debate it till the cows come home, but if he gets enough points to overtake him, no matter what the reason, he'll have deserved it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
oh sorry, I thought you meant he deserves to be #1 right now despite his rank being #2.

Yeah if he's #1 rank he's #1 rank, no dispute in my mind. Doesn't mean he's the better player if they meet head to head etc. . but he'd be the most consistent with those points.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I always find the contrast of relationships between Fed/Nadal and Sampras/Agassi fascinating. Some of it is obviously personality driven, but I also wonder if its the fact that Pete and Andre were both American had a lot to do with their rivalry. Ridiculous that those guys would not play Davis Cup together, and because one would pull out the other would too.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I always find the contrast of relationships between Fed/Nadal and Sampras/Agassi fascinating. Some of it is obviously personality driven, but I also wonder if its the fact that Pete and Andre were both American had a lot to do with their rivalry. Ridiculous that those guys would not play Davis Cup together, and because one would pull out the other would too.
i think it is mostly to do with the personality than nationality...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I see that came off as because they are American, but I more meant it is because they are BOTH American. IE same nationality. Could be both English, both French etc. The rivalry having come from the same nation and been rivals as juniors etc

Last edited:

vcs

I doubt Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray as as friendly with each other as they make out to be in the media. I also don't think their rivalry is anywhere near as vitriolic as what their fans have either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nadal fed laughing footage was always a good insight imo.

Muzz has whined about Novak foxing before (which is ironic since he does it too), and Fed openly hated young Novak (mainly cos of his family).

I recall Rafa once saying Fed as president of the players association was letting the players burn with a large schedule.

It's not all roses, but they aren't at each others throats like Pete and Andre were.

vcs

I don't think Novak still likes Federer all that much, I often hear Becker taking shots at him.

Federer didn't hate him, he's just blunt when it comes to calling out what he perceives as unsportsmanlike behaviour. Djokovic took it on the chin and became a machine, so it worked out fine for him.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Novaks family's comments about Fed and their general behaviour used to get to him imo. Told them to shut up once mid match.

All pales in comparison to Kyrgios telling Stan that Kokkinakis banged his girlfriend of course :laugh:

vcs

Novaks family's comments about Fed and their general behaviour used to get to him imo. Told them to shut up once mid match.

All pales in comparison to Kyrgios telling Stan that Kokkinakis banged his girlfriend of course :laugh:
He said "Be quiet!" when they were yelling in between points. Federer can't even be rude when he tries :p