• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Really do like Troicki as a player. Was awesome post-US Open last year - won Moscow, semis in Tokyo and Basel and has started this year with a QF in Doha and SF in Sydney. Hopefully he gets a decent draw at the Open.

He's seeded 29 which could be a problem because it means he's likely to face one of the top eight by the third round. Hopefully he avoids the top four, because he's a real shot of knocking off someone like Ferrer or Berdych.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
any idea why somdev was given a wildcard entry for aus open
this is why:

India's Somdev Devvarman and Taiwan's Chang Kai-chen have landed wildcards for this month's Australian Open, the organisers said on Thursday.

The 25-year-old Indian and the Taiwanese teen were handed the wildcards "as part of the Australian Open's profile as the Grand Slam of Asia Pacific", the organisers said in a statement.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hewitt-Nalbandian 1st round!!
Jesus.

I'd have to say I find it a little hard to see Hewitt winning that, though - Nalbandian has been in simply sensational form so far this week in Auckland. Hasn't dropped a set, and hasn't looked like doing so. Up against Ferrer in the final tomorrow, which will be tougher, but I think he'll take the title.

Almagro's a bit of a knob sometimes, isn't he? He threw his racquet just in front of me today and it nearly hit a ball kid. Sure, there were some marginal line calls, but you lost 6-4 6-2, mate. Nalbandian would have beaten you today no matter what.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Really do like Troicki as a player. Was awesome post-US Open last year - won Moscow, semis in Tokyo and Basel and has started this year with a QF in Doha and SF in Sydney. Hopefully he gets a decent draw at the Open.

He's seeded 29 which could be a problem because it means he's likely to face one of the top eight by the third round. Hopefully he avoids the top four, because he's a real shot of knocking off someone like Ferrer or Berdych.
Looking forward to seeing him play Simon tomorrow. Both players have gun defence.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Reckon he's improved his defence a lot which is why he's gotten so much better.

Watch his match vs. Gasquet earlier this week. Many of Gasquet's backhands would have been winners against many players outside the top 10, but Troicki was getting them back.

Agree he's a huge hitter obviously.

_Ed_

Nalbandian has been in simply sensational form so far this week in Auckland. Hasn't dropped a set, and hasn't looked like doing so. Up against Ferrer in the final tomorrow, which will be tougher, but I think he'll take the title.
...or not. Quality jinx there. Ferrer smashed him in straight sets.

vcs

Reckon he's improved his defence a lot which is why he's gotten so much better.

Watch his match vs. Gasquet earlier this week. Many of Gasquet's backhands would have been winners against many players outside the top 10, but Troicki was getting them back.

Agree he's a huge hitter obviously.
Hmm.. yeah, he could really have a breakthrough year then. I thought he also retrieved very well in the Davis Cup match against Llodra.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just got back from seeing the doubles and men's singles finals in the Sydney International.

Great evening. Saw the Bryan Brothers lose in an awesome match against Lukas Dlouhy (we meet again 4 years later!) and Aussie Paul Hanley. Went to a third set (i.e. a tiebreak first to 10). Was good.

Simon vs. Troicki was such an entertaining match, even though Simon won in straight sets (7-5 7-6). Simon is so damn solid, but he played so many ripping forehand shots. Was awesome to watch.

Was a see-saw match to say the least, but Troicki was just waaaaaaaaaaay too erratic. Completely different to the consistent player who also can pull the trigger when necessary that we've seen over the last 6-9 months. Considering he was a break up in the 1st, and then a double break up in the 2nd, and then served for the second set... to lose in straight sets is disappointing.

Two awesome moments were 1) an Aussie fan yelling "Go Simon" (pronounced Sy-mon, Not See-mon), and of course 2) the whole foot-fault saga in the second set tiebreak. At 2-4 down in the tiebreak Troicki was footfaulted on his second serve. He acted like a douche clapping the lineswoman and then walked up and forced her to shake his hand. Ironically he then won the next 2 points to get back on serve in the tiebreak, but ended up losing. Then stared down the lineswoman again as the rest of the crowd booed him.

In Simon's victory speech whilst thanking all the ball-boys, ushers and linespeople etc. who helped make the tournament run well, he said "and particularly the linesperson who called the footfault" :laugh: Troicki was unimpressed.

Huge Serbian contingent were there. They're always well represented.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also I use this as proof that if France had used Simon in the 5th rubber against Troicki instead of Lolldra, France, and not Serbia, would be Davis Cup champions right now.