• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
C'mon Niall, you're being way too harsh here. Competition wasn't much better when Djokovic was annihilating everyone in 2015 either. Only a 34 year Federer was giving him decent competition, and even then, he couldn't win the important matches. Last year Murray took No. 1 after Djokovic started his post-RG descent. Don't see the big difference.

Great win for Shapovalov, about time the younger guys started coming to the party.
Probably right I am little harsh aye.

I think in 2015 there was some hope that the likes of Raonic, Dimitrov and Kyrigos were on the verge of making a breakthrough and while time is very much on all their side, all have underwhelmed since. Murray and Stan not at elite level either. Thankfully Zverev has been a huge positive in last few months.

I don't have a beef with Shapa whatsoever,, but he doesn't excite me as much as the young guns on the WTA Tour. I dunno though, maybe this is a defining week for him rather than him over achieving. Hopefully so as again, don't mind the kid bar the dire haircut.

I'd be pleased to be proved wrong but the last thing from a POV I want is Federer cruising through the next few months. Yep he is an ATG and the public are probably loving this revival which is good for business, but me, no thanks.

Those last 2 Slams were rotten and another procession....:@

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The injuries have ruined this season a bit for the top players, but apart from that, yeah, been about the same. Wish Del Potro had properly kicked on this year, but alas.

vcs

QF Lineup:

Haase vs. Schwartzman
Bautista-Agut vs. Federer
Shapovalov vs. Mannarino
Zverev vs. Anderson

Yeah, that lineup looks pretty dire on paper for a MS 1000.

Niall

International Coach
He won 9 games and got the second set to a tie break,that's a pretty impressive effort to be honest. I'd be slightly perplexed and worried if we see him in another Masters semi final though.:laugh:

OverratedSanity

Shapovalov is a fun player to watch. Has an actual one handed backhand too which means I'm automatically a fan.

Hope Zverev pushes Federer in the final.. been a prank tournament so far.

Niall

International Coach
Pleased for Zverev, at the moment he is the only player I'd trust to beat Federer over 5 at the US Open. :cool:

The bookies currently have him fourth fav, behind Murray and Nadal to win it, no just no.:ph34r:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
didn't watch, was federer injured or something? anyway well done zverev...looks like the real deal right now...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. I am a bit worried if Feddie can hold through so many matches in quick succession, especially all those best of 5 games in the Flushing Meadows. Might not be a bad thing for him to have been knocked out early either here or at Cincy.

OverratedSanity

Well done zverev! Two big masters titles in a year.

didn't watch, was federer injured or something? anyway well done zverev...looks like the real deal right now...
Did look like his back was bothering him. He was clutching it a little in the match against Ferrer too.

OverratedSanity

Nadal got to be the clear favourite now even with his hard court troubles? Fed's a chance but a back issue is never good this close to a Slam... he struggled with it basically all of 2013 which was his worst year.

Hope we get a new winner and Zverev steps up.