• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That whole Mania sucked aside from the tag/midcard titles. Strange as well as it was pretty much the best year for PPV ever

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That whole Mania sucked aside from the tag/midcard titles. Strange as well as it was pretty much the best year for PPV ever
Yeah, it was fairly poor on the whole, but I think I will always remember it fondly because it was the first WM I ever recorded on VHS at 1am.

I guess the fact that there were no 1 v 1 matches on the card really let it down, and the fact that the main event was a fiasco (though as a kid I really enjoyed the whole Foley angle, was mega in to that), and the fact that they padded out the card with a load of matches that had no build and would have been fairly underwhelming had they been on the card of a house show (i.e. T & A vs Al Snow and Steve Blackman).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, I seem to remember Eddie Guerrero losing clean to Chyna as well, after she powerbombed him IIRC. That was pretty poor as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The main event, yeah, but I don't think any of the other matches on the card were deserving of appearing at a WM, with the exception of Jericho vs Benoit maybe.
Maybe but it was a much more logical card than Mania and overall a good show

That was shown on channel 4 over here. They got their fingers burned with Mae youngs puppies on their previous outing so showed it on a 40 minute delay (also meant they could avoid complaints about adverts). They blurred xpacs blood and pretty sure they edited the Dudley's match so we saw broken tables before they'd put anyone through them

Great PPV though

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe but it was a much more logical card than Mania and overall a good show

That was shown on channel 4 over here. They got their fingers burned with Mae youngs puppies on their previous outing so showed it on a 40 minute delay (also meant they could avoid complaints about adverts). They blurred xpacs blood and pretty sure they edited the Dudley's match so we saw broken tables before they'd put anyone through them

Great PPV though
Yeah, it was a really solid PPV. Even the matches that got hardly any billing (Rios v Guerrero and Scotty v Malenko) were actually really high quality iirc, but imo they just wouldn't be a big enough draw for a WM card, even back then.

But yeah, X-Pac's blood was defo blurred. Not sure about Trish going through a table though - iirc that was shown.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, it was a really solid PPV. Even the matches that got hardly any billing (Rios v Guerrero and Scotty v Malenko) were actually really high quality iirc, but imo they just wouldn't be a big enough draw for a WM card, even back then.

But yeah, X-Pac's blood was defo blurred. Not sure about Trish going through a table though - iirc that was shown.
Oh yeah they showed it but at some point earlier they came back from a break and a table was broken.

Honestly don't think the rest of the card made any difference to how Mania drew. People wanted Rock HHH. They bottled it for three reasons as far as I can tell:

1. Rock-HHH had happened heaps circa 98/99
2. Didn't want to give HHH the heel win in a one on one but wanted to give him it nonetheless
3. Self indulgent McMahon in each corner drivel

They should have gone with rock-HHH. It was always a good match when they did it as they had epic chemistry and in Austin's absence a worthy mania main event. And Rock should have won. The people deserved that moment. Instead he got his first face title win with Austin's help, and pins Vince for the next one.

Great matches though. Always felt their iron man was underrated.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I guess they were also keen to get Foley into a main event somehow, and that would have left Big Show without anything to do, so they basically fudged it. As I say, I didn't really mind that at the time, but it would have been a lot better had Rock managed to win the damn thing.

But, by the same measure, despite the dubious nature of his Backlash win, that match probably remains one of my favourite wrestling moments of all time.

andmark

International Captain
Predictions for NXT: Owens beats Zayn, Balor beats Neville, Itami beats Breeze, Bayley wins women's title

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
NXT thoughts:

Breeze-Hideo was a damn good opener. Did about as much as expected in the time allotted

Corbin-Dempsey.... bleh. Atleast it was short

Lucha Dragons tag team match sucked. Sin Cara's botching has gotten ridiculous now

Balor-Neville was awesome as expected. Great match. The two near-falls they did were incredible... especially the roll up after balor got his knees up to Neville's red arrrow. Again, if WWE **** Neville up somehow, I'll break stuff

The women's fatal 4-way.... Wow... vince should watch this and realise that women's wrestling isn't the complete joke he makes it out to be on the main roster. Arguably stole the show tbh. **** you Vince.

Owens-Neville.... Damn, this was not what I expected. They just made Owens NXT's Lesnar. Ok, that's probably a bit too far, but this was brutal as hell... legitimately thought Zayn was going to get hurt. So well done, and this is obviously set up for an eventual epic match where these two face off again... till that time, this was an awesome way to start their feud. I heard some people disliked the finish, but I thought it worked perfectly.

Conclusion: I have no idea why I even watch Raw and Smackdown and even most of the main roster PPVs.

andmark

International Captain
I can only see Owens beating Balor which is unfortunate given how Balor was looking like Zayn's successor as the face of NXT.

Just watched Balor vs Neville. It was good, but I wish it had been longer. The production team really do work overtime on Balor and his entrance and it's amazing.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
Some of the expected drones in the IWC now saying NXT is overrated. Whatever is rated is immediately overrated to some idiots

andmark

International Captain
Balor for the main roster soon? Zayn probably will be.

Interesting dynamic going forward considering the lack of an Owens type guy on NXT in the past.

Last edited: