• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wwe may be luring me back to the network already, purely due to Covid - 19. These bizarre spectatorless shows have all sounded hilarious both intentionally and unintentionally. Austin kicking Saxton in the dick by accident before his stunner is just one example of how good they are right now

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wanna try watching the New Gen era PPVs and basically the beginning of the Monday Night Wars. There was this loong series in a site called Lords of Pain that I frequent for wrestling discussion and I loved how the guy did the whole looking back thing. He would also give out the results of the other shows/PPVs to add context and also bring the rating for each week's episode and analyze possible reasons why a particular company won the night etc. I dunno if I will ever be able to write at that detail but I would love to give it a watch. Is it only on the WWE network or are there other ways to access for a bloke in India?

Can someone answer please?

Athlai

Not Terrible
There's probably ways to pirate it but I mean. The network exists and its pretty cheap and really good for historical ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wwe may be luring me back to the network already, purely due to Covid - 19. These bizarre spectatorless shows have all sounded hilarious both intentionally and unintentionally. Austin kicking Saxton in the dick by accident before his stunner is just one example of how good they are right now
One of the benefits of some kent cloning my bank card a couple of months back, and me having to get the card replaced, means that I can sneak another free trial for a month. Good times.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Anyone want to do some sort of mutual watch-alongs for videos of old/good/memorable matches/tournaments/competitions etc.?

Since there is no actual sport on at the moment, and precious little else to do in the evenings etc. If we can find stuff online that is accessible to everyone (e.g. through YouTube or similar) I thought this might be quite fun, and would give us something to talk about.
Idea I suggested in the football thread, but could also do a wrasslin' equivalent.

Have watched every WWF PPV from No Way Out 2000 up to Summerslam 2000 (half way through this one atm) on the Network since last week. Has been pretty fun.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, since lockdown (heh) mode has basically started, I'm going to aim to watch an attitude era PPV every few days/nights of the week.

Started with No Way Out 2000 last night. Actually sat and watched the entire card.

Decided to start with this after listening to JR review it on his podcast the other week. I didn't find it as good as I hoped I might, based on his comments, but a pretty solid show overall, with a great main event.

The Cactus/HHH HIAC seems to be a bit of a forgotten gem in a lot of ways. Never seems to get mentioned in the context of discussions of best Cell matches, but it is definitely in the top 3 of those that I have seen personally (the others being the first ever Cell match between HBK and Taker, and the WM match between HHH and Taker). And as a match it's streets ahead of the King of the Ring 98 one.
Sorry for the late reply on this (I'm stumbling into the general sports forum for the first time. Lockdown is pretty dull.) but this is from around the time my wrestling fandom was at its peak and I loved that hell in a cell match. I can still remember there was a moment when Foley produces the barbed wire 2x4 and as soon as he sees it HHH just dives unceremoniously over the barricade into the crowd to get away. Might be my favourite ever HHH moment.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Halfway through the Summerslam main event at the moment.

That bump Angle takes when the announce table collapses is really scary. You can see he is absolutely knocked for six, and that HHH absolutely bricks it.

Tbf to HHH though, you can see he immediately tries to put Angle in the recovery position, whilst still somehow being able to maintain the appearance of being in character. What a pro.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Halfway through the Summerslam main event at the moment.

That bump Angle takes when the announce table collapses is really scary. You can see he is absolutely knocked for six, and that HHH absolutely bricks it.

Tbf to HHH though, you can see he immediately tries to put Angle in the recovery position, whilst still somehow being able to maintain the appearance of being in character. What a pro.
Thought I'd have watched this at the time but looking at the card now I don't think I did. I'm sure I've seen the TLC match at somepoint but none of the other matches look familiar, maybe I was on holiday or something.

Did you watch Fully Loaded? There was a HHH match versus Jericho, last man standing which I used to hold as one of my favourites, interested if it holds up!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I did, and it does.

One of those matches that has a great narrative, is well-paced, well-laid out, some great spots, right guy wins, but both come out looking better/stronger than when they went in. Top stuff.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad to hear. Getting a bit nostalgic now. Used to watch the odd match online to reminisce on evenings when my wife was out (she's not a fan) but unlikely she'll be out the house for a while now. Might pull up something on my phone and watch over a tea break instead of posting here...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There are some whopper promos on that show as well.

One where Christian says "It doesn't matter if the JFK shooting was a conspiracy or not, because if he had to stay in this town for 5 minutes longer he would have committed suicide anyway!".

Major heat of course, but damn, that must have been near the knuckle even back in those days. Would never fly nowadays.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. Obviously there are things which shouldn't be said, but as a general rule I enjoy wrestling characters being cartoonishly evil, especially if they get due comeuppance. (So HHH cutting racist promos on Booker T then winning comfortably: bad. The chain smoking robot in Futurama threatening the audience then jobbing to Bender: good.)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha. Obviously there are things which shouldn't be said, but as a general rule I enjoy wrestling characters being cartoonishly evil, especially if they get due comeuppance. (So HHH cutting racist promos on Booker T then winning comfortably: bad. The chain smoking robot in Futurama threatening the audience then jobbing to Bender: good.)
To be completely honest, the above-mentioned Christian promo got a big laugh out of me, even though ultimately it was in very poor taste.

JR even issued an apology/retraction for it later in the show. Not sure if that was kayfabe or not, but it's the only time I can ever recall that sort of thing happening on any WWF/E programming.