• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union Draft II

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup 24 hours and the next person can go whenever.

Because theres been enough interest in this topic if you can't go within your 24 hours please say so before it gets too late in the draft because otherwise this will take forever.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good pick, considered Zinzan initially.

Should we make the time limit 12 hours? With such varying strategies to this draft I don't think for the most part if you miss one or two selections it will make much of a difference to your side and it'd help move things along a bit quicker in the draft which, at the moment, is at a standstill.

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah I'm good either way, we should also avoid the "I'll pick becasue such and such already has their props picked" thing as well.

I won't be on on weekends but.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Given how rapid this is going I don't think you'll need to worry about missing your turn this weekend Ripper. ;)

12 hours it is then, starting from when Michael made his selection.

ripper868

International Coach
I'll pick Hugo Porta at no. 10. He was still playing in 1987...
Fixed to remove unneccessary big letters. A 36 year old at No 10 is an interesting first pick, great as he was, plenty of other 10's I'd take ahead of him given the timeframe.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
When you said we could pick players who played well before 1987 so long as they played during 1987, I assumed that meant we could pick players based on their form throughout their careers? I mean I picked Porta because of what he did to New Zealand in 1985, and Australia in 1979, and South Africa in 1982 etc.

I don't want to talk about what kind of pick he was - we'll leave that to the end. But can I just confirm: can we picked players based on their form pre-1987 so long as they played in 1987?

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes thats fine, so long as they played in 1987 or later, no matter when they debuted, they're acceptable. I would also consider form throughout their career (including before 1987) to be taken into consideration when discussing your side though that interpretation is up to each individual I guess.

ripper868

International Coach
Fair enough, I read it more as form etc being considered from 87 onwards, not that it matters really :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Ripper868 - John Eales (#5)
2. 99* - Sean Fitzpatrick (#2)
3. Voltman - Daniel Carter (#10)
4. S.P.Fleming - Jonah Lomu (#11)
5. BoyBrumby - Michael Jones (#7)
6. Samuel_Vimes - Os du Randt (#1)
7. Matteh - David Campese (#11)
8. Somerset - Richie McCaw (#7)
9. Michaelf7777777 - Zinzan Brooke (#8)
10. Pup Clarke -
11. Francis - Martin Johnson (#4)
12. Ohtani's Jacket - Serge Blanco (#15)

1. Ohtani's Jacket - John Kirwan (#14)
2. Francis - Ian Jones (#5)
3. Pup Clarke
4. Michaelf7777777
5. Somerset
6. Matteh
7. Samuel_Vimes
8. BoyBrumby
9. S.P.Fleming
10. Voltman
11. 99*
12. Ripper868

Ohtani's Jacket needs to do two picks. As Pup Clarke is failing to make his picks in the ODI Draft topic as well I think we need to consider pulling him from the draft unless he returns soon.

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Really? What position was he in when he kicked that drop goal in South Africa?

Last edited:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
12 hours is up for ohtani's jacket. It's my pick again.

ENRIQUE 'TOPO' RODRIGUEZ

He could prop both sides (loosehead for Australia, tighthead for Argentina), so depending on whether I want a tight-head or loose-head, I'll reserve which side of the scrum he props on.

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Should've just made it from the professional area or at least guys who were in their prime post-87. Otherwise people can make ridiculous picks.

Serge Blanco (15)
John Kirwan (14)

Francis

State Vice-Captain
OK I'll let you guys decide once and for all.

I'm happy to re-select my players based on the criteria thatyou have to pick them solely on form from '87 onwards, because Blanco and Kirwan weren't going to be my next choices so it doesn't stuff me up anyway. I have to admit picking two awesome players who retired in 1987 does feel a bit like cheating.

Decide what you want and I'll abide by it.

By the way I've seen pupclarke online a bit here at CW. It doesn't seem like he's visiting this thread. In fact he's logged on quite a few times. With sincere respect to him, if he's not going to participate maybe we should move on without him. This thing is going slowly, even when the 12 hour limitation.