Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anti-Rugby Rubbish Club

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar

The Anti-Rugby Rubbish Club

New Zealand:

Every day the news is aired. Every day there has to be a story about the all blacks in the sports section.

The sport 'audience' in New Zealand is expected to be obsessed with rugby. I for one am sick of seeing "Richie McCaw visited this primary school to sign autographs" stories at the top of the sports news. Often they put these on when there are more important sporting events like tennis, international cricket and other more important events. The medias obsession with the all blacks annoys me because they make stories about nothing into something just because they think any trash about the all blacks will get the ratings.

Anybody else sick of this? No rugby, no story!

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    You do realise the all blacks run the kiwi economy?
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Natman20 View Post
    New Zealand:

Every day the news is aired. Every day there has to be a story about the all blacks in the sports section.

The sport 'audience' in New Zealand is expected to be obsessed with rugby. I for one am sick of seeing "Richie McCaw visited this primary school to sign autographs" stories at the top of the sports news.
    Name me a date when this last happened. Go on. The only reason they show ABs at a primary school is usually for background footage for a story with the actual questions focusing on the weekend's game. The footage is part of an ulterior motive - ie. McCaw's recovery from injury. As the All Blacks captain and arguably the best player in the world, that's hardly a surprise and is certainly newsworthy.

Rugby union is the major sport in NZ - get used to it.

And again, your claim there has to be a story in the All Blacks in the sports section every day is complete rubbish and an obvious case of hyperbole. If there's All Black stories, say, this week, that's hardly a surprise - we're in the middle of probably the closest Tri Nations in years, while the Bledisloe Cup could go back to Australia for the first time in six years if we lose a couple of these upcoming games against Australia - which is a very real possibility.

And ripper, it appears you've bought into a silly myth.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Name me a date when this last happened. Go on. The only reason they show ABs at a primary school is usually for background footage for a story with the actual questions focusing on the weekend's game. The footage is part of an ulterior motive - ie. McCaw's recovery from injury. As the All Blacks captain and arguably the best player in the world, that's hardly a surprise and is certainly newsworthy.

Rugby union is the major sport in NZ - get used to it.

And again, your claim there has to be a story in the All Blacks in the sports section every day is complete rubbish and an obvious case of hyperbole. If there's All Black stories, say, this week, that's hardly a surprise - we're in the middle of probably the closest Tri Nations in years, while the Bledisloe Cup could go back to Australia for the first time in six years if we lose a couple of these upcoming games against Australia - which is a very real possibility.

And ripper, it appears you've bought into a silly myth.

indeed.

"I don't think I am being rude in saying that without rugby, there wouldn't be much going for New Zealand..." - David Campese On a Wing and a Prayer p. 86

Yep, definitely wasn't worth taking Francis off ignore for that.

Back onto the list he goes.

McCaw is a cheat
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Wish we had more coverage of union tbh.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    "I don't think I am being rude in saying that without rugby, there wouldn't be much going for New Zealand..." - David Campese On a Wing and a Prayer p. 86
    I know it's a wind up, but Campese is such an idiot it's not funny. Just putting it out there.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Nah it seriously wasn't a wind up. I took that quote from a chapter in his book where Campo discusses why the All Blacks are such a special side. He says a billion and one complimentary things about them, and then there's that quote. He was quite complimentary to Kiwi's.

And Campo was a bit special... I think. Saw things that just weren't on... very unique individual.

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion... maketh da world go 'round.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Reads as an insult, though. That if you took rugby away from NZ that we'd have nothing else.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    If you took rugby away from NZ there'd be civil war.

I sorta agree with Natman to an extent. The over-saturation of the All Blacks can get tiresome, and the pathetic whining and national mourning over the World Cup and the treatment of a grumpy old man as a heretic really got on my nerves. The whole point of losing is to learn from it, not spend 6 months being emos. We spent our emo time and didn't seem to learn much either.

I accept rugby is the number one sport here, fair enoug, something has to be. However some of the side effects, which are not the fault of the game itself, such as the culture of boofheadism over intelligence, rugby is God, all other sports are inferior to our national heroes the All Blacks etc is annoying. Also, I dislike it when people tell me I'm a traitor and not a true NZer, and am also a wussy homosexual when I say I don't like Rugby. I realise these people are in a minority of dip****s, but it gets tiresome.

I support Taranaki due to regional patriotism, but other than that I'm not too fussed about the sport.

NPC>Super 14 btw.

My 2 cents, many kiwis will disagree, and thats fine, its only an opinion after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

You're not a wussy homosexual because you don't like rugby, Flem. You're a wussy homosexual because you're a showjumper.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    You're not a wussy homosexual because you don't like rugby, Flem. You're a wussy homosexual because you're a showjumper.
    Two slight issues with that (predictable ) statement:

A: I'm heterosexual

B: I'm an eventer

I win.

Reads as an insult, though. That if you took rugby away from NZ that we'd have nothing else.
    I wouldn't take it personally. Here's a quote from Mark Ella:

"In a small country with a depressed economy like New Zealand's, they cling to things like having the world's No 1 rugby team." - Mark Ella 'Path to Victory' p 63

Are you getting into a Bledisloe mood NZTailender?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information