• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Alessandro Ballan wins, with Leif Hoste second once again (his 3rd time) and Tom Boonen coming a dire 12th spot (tbf he did have a an accident in the race). Stuart O'Grady was the best among the Australian riders and for CSC and christ we had an Euskatel rider finish in the top 40.

But FFS Roger Hammond, didn't finish again for whatever reason. Hope he isn't injured again.

Craig

World Traveller
Roger Hammond second at Ghent-Wevelgem behind team-mate Marcus Burghardt who took his first pro win (not a bad way to break the duck) in his career, while Oscar Friere was 3rd. Saw some of the highlights and poor Jimmy Casper (Stage 1 winner in the 2006 TdF and now with Unibet/Canyon/? team):

Meanwhile Bradley Wiggins finished second (by only two seconds) to Andreas Klöden in the TT in the Circuit de la Sarthe race in France.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Huge break gone away in Paris-Roubaix. 33-men including Hammond, O'Grady, Breschel, Franzoï, Klier, Steels, Bileka, Tosatto, Kopp, Pollack, Dean and Iriondo of Euskaltel (!!!) - in Paris-Roubaix today. They've got three minutes, but that's all the peloton wants to give them. Quick racing, I expect.

Craig

World Traveller
47 km/h covered in the first hour.

I have to love Roubaix and Flanders, the cobblestones make it so exiting (not if you crash on it)

Craig

World Traveller
Huge break gone away in Paris-Roubaix. 33-men including Hammond, O'Grady, Breschel, Franzoï, Klier, Steels, Bileka, Tosatto, Kopp, Pollack, Dean and Iriondo of Euskaltel (!!!) - in Paris-Roubaix today. They've got three minutes, but that's all the peloton wants to give them. Quick racing, I expect.
Break is up to 4m 10sec

Lampre were making a token chase even though they have somebody in the break.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Steels?

Tom Steels? He must be getting on a bit now surely?
Yeah, 35. Had a puncture, never recovered.

Really, really amazed by O'Grady today. A career full of honourable placements (2 stages of TdF + HEW Cyclassics and a couple of medals on the track, that's it) and then he hoiks onto Wesemann's wheel when Wesemann decided that Quick Step couldn't catch the group of 6-7 that had got away, helps to get into the first group, and then attacks and leave the other guys arguing about who's to the main bit of work. Gun.

1 S O'Grady AUS CSC
2 JA Flecha ESP RAB
3 S Wesemann GER WIE
4 B Leukemans BEL PRL (!!!)
5 R Petito ITA LIQ
6 T Boonen BEL QSI
7 R Hammond GBR TMO
8 E Franzoï ITA LAM
9 K Van Impe BEL QSI
10 F Baldato ITA LAM

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, 35. Had a puncture, never recovered.

Really, really amazed by O'Grady today. A career full of honourable placements (2 stages of TdF + HEW Cyclassics and a couple of medals on the track, that's it) and then he hoiks onto Wesemann's wheel when Wesemann decided that Quick Step couldn't catch the group of 6-7 that had got away, helps to get into the first group, and then attacks and leave the other guys arguing about who's to the main bit of work. Gun.

1 S O'Grady AUS CSC
2 JA Flecha ESP RAB
3 S Wesemann GER WIE
4 B Leukemans BEL PRL (!!!)
5 R Petito ITA LIQ
6 T Boonen BEL QSI
7 R Hammond GBR TMO
8 E Franzoï ITA LAM
9 K Van Impe BEL QSI
10 F Baldato ITA LAM
That's bike racing for you. If somebody can get away at the right point then they will never get themselves organised and said attacker wil lstay away to the end.

The Tour de Georgia starts tonight (Australian time), this is a quality event and IMO it could end up as Pro Tour status if they change the dates, as it is to hard for teams right now.

Craig

World Traveller
Big win for Mark Cavendish by beating Robbie McEwen in the Belgian semi-classic Scheldeprijs Vlaanderen and becomes the first Brit (and I know he is dire, he is some loser from the Isle of Man :p) to win it as well.

To take such victory as his first pro win in his first full year as a pro is really impressive. It bodes well for the future.

From cyclingnews:

Fans of 2006 Tour de France winner Floyd Landis have stumped up their hard earned cash to buy the American's signature and a photo opportunity with the 31 year-old, with Landis reportedly charging fans 25 dollars for the privilege at a Dallas bicycle shop. The outlandish fundraising idea comes as he attempts to raise the funds to continue a legal battle to clear his name.

"We can't undo the damage that's been done. We can't fix it," Landis told AFP. "But we don't want the next person to have to go through this."

FFS.

Last edited:

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Do you get and EPO showbag for your 25 bucks?

Tour of Georgia? i think it went close to falling through from lack of sponsors...

SSG from EE to win the Amstel Gold on the week end, with Boogie Woogie to come second (again!)

Craig

World Traveller
Do you get and EPO showbag for your 25 bucks?

Tour of Georgia? i think it went close to falling through from lack of sponsors...

SSG from EE to win the Amstel Gold on the week end, with Boogie Woogie to come second (again!)
And his last Amstel as well since he is retiring. And yes Georgia nearly didn't happen.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Basso now looks like he's in trouble again, CONI have got 'his' blood bags from the OP investigation and wish to test it against his DNA.:dry:

Cyclingnews news flash re: Basso

This could open a real can of worms, although it may also (hopefully) bring some closure to the whole OP investigation.

In other news Rebellin won his second Fleche Wallonne, the water boys are on fire :)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think Basso will probably be forced to retire because of this.

Dragged out Cycling Manager 3 the other day, found an update that takes it to the 2004 season as well and had a go. I can basically win a flat stage easily, but when it comes to a hill or a time trial i can't do anything.

Craig

World Traveller
Think Basso will probably be forced to retire because of this.

Dragged out Cycling Manager 3 the other day, found an update that takes it to the 2004 season as well and had a go. I can basically win a flat stage easily, but when it comes to a hill or a time trial i can't do anything.
Gun game though, so addictive.

Read that Landis has come close to losing $10m a result of his positive test. I read an article about money in the sport im Cycle Sport magazine and it said some pros in Portugal were earning 600 euros a month and that is if they were lucky to be paid.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Gun game though, so addictive.
Would be even better if they actually bothered to do research and not copy off db-makers with too much spare time...while at the same time changing the database so that said db-makers have to adapt to a new system every time a new version comes around.