• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2006 Super Cheap Auto Bathurst 1000

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The SCA Bathurst 1000 just 10 days away, and is looking like being 1 of the most anticipated yet.

If the dream of winning Bathurst alone isn't enough to get the drivers going, each and everyone of them should be inspired by the feats of the Late Peter "Perfect" Brock, King of the Mountain.

Championship leader Craig Lowndes, along with his young gun teammate Jamie Whincup are, in the eyes of many, the favourites to win the single biggest motorsport event in Australia, and who could argue after such a scintilating drive from Lowndes to come from a lap down, to a podium finish at the recent Sandown 500.

However, the Lowndes/Whincup combination are sure to face some stiff opposition, particuluar from the pairing of the 2005 Bathurst Champ Mark Skaife, and his gun partner Garth Tander. Both drivers have been lightning quick this year, and things should be no different when they tackle the mountain. They were frightfully unlucky not to come away with the Sandown 500 crown, and if it weren't for the "Skaife" curse i've no doubt they would've romped home.

The Kelly gang is also a hot tip by many to take this years title. Todd & Rick are no doubt 2 of the quickest, and youngest, drivers in the series, and after a strong 2nd at Sandown, they are in the box seat to take it 1 step further at the mountain.

The last of the main challengers IMO comes from the ford corner in the "Factory Team" pairing of Jason Bright, and Mark "Frosty" Winterbottom. Coming of the high of taking just the FPR teams 2nd win at the Sandown 500, Bright and Frosty are serious contenders in this the greatest race.

Of the other pairings, the SBR's Russell Ingall/Luke Youlden and James Courtney/Glen Seton are dark horses as both driver pairings boast experience bathurst campaigners (Ingall, Seton) and 2 brilliant young, up and coming drivers (Courtney, Youlden).

Jack Daniels racing pair Steven Richards and Paul Dumbrell should not be discounted either. After a string of mechanical failures, and crashes in previous rounds, the pair will be hoping their lucks about to change, and with both drivers able to run at the pointy end of the field, they're a dangerous combination and not to be written off.

Greg Murphy & Cam McConville are in the same boat as Richo & Dumbrell, the Super Cheap Auto Racing Team pair have had a rotten run all series, but Murph is never to be discounted at bathurst. The Lap record holder by a mammoth 1+ seconds, Bathurst brings out the best in the Kiwi, and if lucks on his side, generally there's no stopping him on the mountain.

IMO the 2006 Super Cheap Auto Bathurst 1000 champion will come from 1 of these 8 pairings. The Ford pairings of Lowndes/Whincup, Bright/Frosty, Ingall/Youlden, and Courtney/Seton have the added incentive of trying to win ford's 1st bathurst title since 1998. Can the fords do it, or will it be yet another Bathurst victory to the Lions Den?

CARN THE FORDS!!!!!!!!!!

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I used to follow the V8s, and Bathurst obviously, fairly closely. Since Ambrose left for the States I haven't really bothered.

Some random Holden pairing to win, happens every year.

Johnners

I'd hardly call Skaife/Kelly, Murphy/Kelly, Murphy/Kelly, Skaife/Longhurst (the last 4 winners) random pairings!

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Great Birtannia, you wouldnt be a Ford follower would you? :laugh:
Go Holden. That's all I'm gonna say on the subject.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Bargwana and whats-his-face were unexpected though. Yep, I know what I'm talking about.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
James90 said:
Bargwana and whats-his-face were unexpected though. Yep, I know what I'm talking about.
I'll admit that WPS Racing has been a bolt from the blue this year. I cant believe Barg's finally getting there.

Perm

I don't follow the V8's that closely at all but when Bathurst is on, my dad is glued to the TV all day. As a typical NZ'er I'll be cheering for Murphy, who if I remember correctly was Peter Perfect's co-driver at Bathurst a few times? Aslong as a Ford driver doesn't win then I'll be happy.

Mister Wright

Honestly. How boring is motor sport. However, Bathurst is the only race that is watchable and then that's only for the start and the hourly highlights to see all the crashes.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
yer i am a big follower of the v8's and being a massive holden fan i am hoping for more of the same. is a big weekend i used to go but with the family know just too hard but would rather watch it on tv. better coverage.

go skaife and hrt go the boys!

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Honestly. How boring is motor sport. However, Bathurst is the only race that is watchable and then that's only for the start and the hourly highlights to see all the crashes.

i agree mate, i watch a few of the rounds if nothing else is on, but bathurst just keeps getting better every year, the crashes, the drama the edge of your seat racing.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I think Skafe will be hard to beat. The Kelly boys will be up there too.

I used to be a holden fan but i dont mind as much any more, i would certainly have no objections to Seton or Lowndes taking out the race this year either.

Johnners

age_master said:
I think Skafe will be hard to beat
Unfortunately i have to agree with you there, both skaife & tander are 2 of the top 6 drivers in the series IMO, and if they have a fast car lookout. The thing they don't have going for them however, is luck. Whilst Skaifey is quick, i can't for the life of my figure out why tander wanted to race in the no.2 Car at the enduro's after all the mechanical problems it's had this year. The "Skaife Curse" effectively ruined Tander's championship dream at the Sandown 500, and being a ford fan, i sure as hell hope it does the same at bathurst :D

If Lowndes decides NOT to hit the wall early in the race this year, he'll go far, and i'd have my money on him to win it. He is without a doubt IMO the best & most skilled driver in the field, and has a ability to extract everything possible from his car like no other. If Whincup can drive as well as he did last year with Tasman Motorsport, these two will be even harder to beat than Skaife/Tander IMO.

Of course, i'd love for Seton to win as well. I've always been a huge fan of his, and to come so close, yet so far from being King of the Mountain so many times, he deserves to win it!! The 1997 race was all but his until that devastating breakdown just 9 laps from the finish. Paired with Young gun James Courtney, who was suprisingly quick in his first laps around bathurst last year, the combination of Bathurst experience and the Speed of Courtney might just suprise a few people.

Craig

World Traveller
That was horrific. Hope those two make it out ok, I can only wonder what it is like when you see a V8 coming straight for you and your are a sitting duck.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
it was a big accident and i hope they all get through ok. and as for the race, GIDDY UP HOLDEN...............

FORD: Found on rubbish dump lol hahahahaha