• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Fiery

Banned
How was Leonard exciting/promising? Yeah he scored a try, big deal. The way some of these idiots (not meaning you) are wanking on about him on Radio Sport is ridiculous, you'd think he was the second coming of Christ. Yes he had a good game, doesn't mean diddly squat in the long-term. Grant Nisbett got it right when he said the nation needs to settle down in regards to Leonard, he had a good game, nothing else.
No Perm, he's the new messiah...learn to live with it

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I fail to see how, yes Leonard played okay given the time that he did, but Cowan was also pretty good whenever he was in the side.
Cowan was average. Everything he did was scrappy.

Leonard injects pace and can break the advantage line. His pass is quick and he fits the All Blacks' attacking style.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cowan was average. Everything he did was scrappy.

Leonard injects pace and can break the advantage line. His pass is quick and he fits the All Blacks' attacking style.
Cowan is a scrapper, his game is completely different to most other halfbacks in New Zealand and having to play behind the Southland pack, he has adjusted accordingly and has become more of a defensive halfback.

Fiery

Banned
Cowan is a scrapper, his game is completely different to most other halfbacks in New Zealand and having to play behind the Southland pack, he has adjusted accordingly and has become more of a defensive halfback.
Perm, Cowan is a very average footballer. He ranks with Chris Tregaskis and Shane Philpott as far as former All Blacks go

Perm

Perm, Cowan is a very average footballer. He ranks with Chris Tregaskis and Shane Philpott as far as former All Blacks go
Bull**** IMO, Cowan is a good halfback. On another note though something I find quite worrying. Kevin Senio, Jimmy Cowan, Andy Ellis and now Brendon Leonard, in the space of what? 18 months or so?

Fiery

Banned
Bull**** IMO, Cowan is a good halfback. On another note though something I find quite worrying. Kevin Senio, Jimmy Cowan, Andy Ellis and now Brendon Leonard, in the space of what? 18 months or so?
Simple really, they realised Senio and Cowan weren't up to it and Ellis had a poor Super 14. Leonard is clearly better than all of them as well (although Ellis may come good)

Perm

Simple really, they realised Senio and Cowan weren't up to it and Ellis had a poor Super 14. Leonard is clearly better than all of them as well (although Ellis may come good)
You're just as bad as most of the other idiots that ring up talkback radio. No point in trying to make you see reason, your ideas are so clearly stuck in your head that nothing is going to change them.

Fiery

Banned
You're just as bad as most of the other idiots that ring up talkback radio. No point in trying to make you see reason, your ideas are so clearly stuck in your head that nothing is going to change them.
"idiot"....again 8-). No you wont change my opinion Perm, because you are clearly a bad judge of players. Are Graham Henry and the selectors "idiots" too?

Last edited:

Perm

"idiot"....again 8-) . Are Graham Henry and the selectors "idiots" too?
No, they aren't. They realise that Leonard is good, which I'm not disputing, but they aren't building him up as though he's a great player like all the newspaper articles I've read are doing. I am a bad judge of players? So says the guy who thinks Sione Lauaki and Mose Tuiali'i should be fighting for the #8 jersey.

Fiery

Banned
No, they aren't. They realise that Leonard is good, which I'm not disputing, but they aren't building him up as though he's a great player like all the newspaper articles I've read are doing. I am a bad judge of players? So says the guy who thinks Sione Lauaki and Mose Tuiali'i should be fighting for the #8 jersey.
:pokey: You like Reuben Thorne

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Zinzan Brooke thinks Lauaki should be the number eight, too.

Anyway, Leonard is an impact player. There's no point having a defensive player like Cowan as your third choice halfback. He's not going to have an impact off the bench. IMO, Leonard is a classy player. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up replacing BK in the long run.

Perm

Zinzan Brooke thinks Lauaki should be the number eight, too.

Anyway, Leonard is an impact player. There's no point having a defensive player like Cowan as your third choice halfback. He's not going to have an impact off the bench. IMO, Leonard is a classy player. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up replacing BK in the long run.
Just because Brooke is a former international player it doesn't make him right.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Since NZers love arguing about selections, here's the All Blacks line-up to face Australia:

Mils Muliaina, Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher, Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerry Collins, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves:

Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Reuben Thorne, Chris Masoe, Brendon Leonard, Aaron Mauger, Nick Evans.

Apparently this is our best XV.

Perm

Since NZers love arguing about selections, here's the All Blacks line-up to face Australia:

Mils Muliaina, Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher, Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerry Collins, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves:

Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Reuben Thorne, Chris Masoe, Brendon Leonard, Aaron Mauger, Nick Evans.

Apparently this is our best XV.
I'd have Mealamu and Mauger in the starting lineup. Robinson gets in there by default almost, due to the injuries we have in our locking department. Sitiveni Sivivatu would probably be in the team if he weren't injured.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I'd have Mealamu and Mauger in the starting lineup. Robinson gets in there by default almost, due to the injuries we have in our locking department. Sitiveni Sivivatu would probably be in the team if he weren't injured.
They've really screwed around with Big Kev this season. That's a shame because he's a dynamo. The Highlanders duo fell for all of the Wallabies' stalling tactics in Melbourne, so I hope Oliver and Hayman front up at scrum time. We miss Ali Williams bad, but Robinson is solid in the locking department. Mauger is one of the biggest victims of the rotation policy as he just doesn't fit the constant shuffling. McAlister is a more decisive runner at this point, but he needs to learn how to finish. It may be a bold move to keep Mils at fullback, but it's one I agree with. I don't think we should make concessions to the Wallabies (and one player at that) & Mils is a brilliant fullback.

I don't think Howlett is a Test match option anymore, but it is Eden Park and he may very well score.

Should be a great Test... Australia haven't won at Eden Park since 1986... NZ haven't lost at Eden Park since 1994... And we've won 25 Tests in a row at home... Australia haven't held the Bledisloe since 2002 or won the Tri-Nations since 2001, and that was the last time they beat NZ in New Zealand... Something's gotta give.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
That's right, but I find it ridiculous how people are pushing for Lauaki's inclusion in the All Blacks. I dareday it's just Fiery's Waikato biased coming out again.
Rodney owns the No.8 jersey. I don't think he's one of the great All Black No.8s, but he's a vital part of this team and his running game this season has been tremendous.

Fiery

Banned
That's right, but I find it ridiculous how people are pushing for Lauaki's inclusion in the All Blacks. I dareday it's just Fiery's Waikato biased coming out again.
Don't know why you find it ridiculous tbh. The guy's a beast and if his talent could be harnessed properly he would scare the bejesus out of other teams at the WC. I would play him in the pool games and if he doesn't fire you've always got the reliable So'oialo to fall back on...and he could come from the Clutha Valley for all I care. John Mitchell is from the Waikato but I hate the guy

Last edited: