• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Contract System?

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
I agree with Marc. I reckon there should be Contracts, but i believe it should work in this way:

Teams get a set amount of 'contract points' whcih they can use on thier squad. Assuming all teams have around the same amount of players it will work fairly well. Say a team gets 25 points, they can contract all 17 players for one year minimum and then use the left over 8 points to re-contract the players they think will be good long term aspects.

The fiugure of 25 points could go up/down not 100% sure but this way it would stop teams from saying alright all our gun players are hear for 5 years and the rest of you can go at the end of the year. This way they will only be able to keep a set amount of players without going over the limi (kinda like a salary cap).

Thoughts?

ash chaulk

International Captain
i think players shouldnt be free agents, if a player wants to swap clubs then, the clubs swap players

Cloete

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
I don't see why contracts are needed tbh. If players are unhappy with their clubs they should be allowed to move. If a player wants a release from a club I think the system is fair enough as it is. If they want to move freely they have to wait until the end of the season, but if they feel the move is urgent they need to negotiate a move with their club and another. I think that is the fairest system both to the players and the team.

Players may find they are not getting what they want from their team and if they feel they want to move, we shouldn't restrict their ability to do that. If a player is unhappy at the team they are at they should be allowed to move freely. For all the signing we (The Colts) have gained in the offseason we also have lost players who we considered crucial for our team in the coming season.

I don't see how contracts are going to solve this problem. If we have players signed to a 2 or 3 year deal, but for some reason or another they do not wish to remain at that club they either have to sit out their contract or go through a lengthy and sometimes ugly negotiating phase. Which could mean we lose players to the system all together, which is not what we should be striving for. It should be left, that if they want to leave they should be able to do so at the end of the season.

If teams cannot hold onto players, it should be the team that should be looked at not the system.
Agree.

David

International 12th Man
Nah, I can only see contracts causing more problems than the current system.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Contracts wouldn't stop players from moving teams. Players who don't wish to commit long-term can simply sign a one season contract every season if you wish, and thus be free to move every offseason, just like players are right now. A team could ensure their long-term stability by signing a bunch of players on 2 or 3 season contracts though, and then ensure they could only lose a handful at the end of the season.

There's also the fact that, if someone wants to move, they can inform the captain who will probably trade them. We saw this with Blue mid-season and Patrick. I doubt the situation of a player being unhappy at his current club but not being able to move would arise often.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I think each team should get a certain amount of currency (i.e $10million), and they can spend that on whoever they want and allocate it in whichever way they wish for that season.

It would be awesome to have players jumping ship because contract negotiations went awry.
He said in the main post he doesn't want to involve currency. Get some sleep.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
kears_falcon_9 said:
I agree with Marc. I reckon there should be Contracts, but i believe it should work in this way:

Teams get a set amount of 'contract points' whcih they can use on thier squad. Assuming all teams have around the same amount of players it will work fairly well. Say a team gets 25 points, they can contract all 17 players for one year minimum and then use the left over 8 points to re-contract the players they think will be good long term aspects.

The fiugure of 25 points could go up/down not 100% sure but this way it would stop teams from saying alright all our gun players are hear for 5 years and the rest of you can go at the end of the year. This way they will only be able to keep a set amount of players without going over the limi (kinda like a salary cap).

Thoughts?
I think if a contract system was introduced this should be it. What then happens with players that sign up during the season? Should team leave points in case of new players or should new players be assigned as they are now and then receive a contract until the end of the season?

Contracts would add something to the game and possibly solve a few things but I'm still not convinced it's the way to go. Kyle makes a very good point.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
kears_falcon_9 said:

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me, ofcourse as we are not actually paying anythinng contracts might be difficalt to work out, i like the idea but im not sure how it would work in practice.

A few points though
1) If there are points as mentioned above the Board of a panel would have to allocate points to players to keep the good players playing for 1 point each etc.

2) Sean has said in another post that if people want to move around they can sign 1 season contracts anyway - and captains are fairly happy to release players anyway as we have seen over the last couple of years.

3) Teams could be allowed 1 or 2 excemptions to the 'cap' to hold on to key or long term players

4) Captains would have to be exempt too

I certainly think that any system should be introduced for the coming season, if black do end up short they will have to sign more rookies and build their team up again.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Contracts wouldn't stop players from moving teams. Players who don't wish to commit long-term can simply sign a one season contract every season if you wish, and thus be free to move every offseason, just like players are right now. A team could ensure their long-term stability by signing a bunch of players on 2 or 3 season contracts though, and then ensure they could only lose a handful at the end of the season.

There's also the fact that, if someone wants to move, they can inform the captain who will probably trade them. We saw this with Blue mid-season and Patrick. I doubt the situation of a player being unhappy at his current club but not being able to move would arise often.
Wouldn't most players then just have one year contracts to keep their options open? I'm in favour of the draft idea personally, but I think the problem at Black is not that players are leaving, but why they are leaving.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jungle Jumbo said:
Wouldn't most players then just have one year contracts to keep their options open? I'm in favour of the draft idea personally, but I think the problem at Black is not that players are leaving, but why they are leaving.
Exactly right.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
It's got nothing to do with Black, really. It's a general issue in the dev league, and a contract system would add to the realism of the system and generally be a good thing, I think. It may very well have been that all those black players would have been out of contract anyway, but I think the transfer process would be much more interesting if there was some restrictions on movement. If players want to leave a team for personal reasons they will be free to do so anyway, either through negotiation with their captain or via free transfer when their contract expires.

Personally, I doubt everyone would sign one year contracts, as plenty of players are committed to a single team. Some would, though.

Jungle Jumbo

FaaipDeOiad said:
Personally, I doubt everyone would sign one year contracts, as plenty of players are committed to a single team. Some would, though.
Isn't that just similar to the situation we have at the moment though, just with official contracts?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Isn't that just similar to the situation we have at the moment though, just with official contracts?
Yes. The idea is that clubs will be able to sign players in a literal sense, and there'll be a greater level of stability in the teams. Mostly, you won't have a team losing 5+ players in a week with no warning whatsoever, as they will at least be aware that a number of players are coming out of contract. It won't generally stop playing from moving if they want to.

Jungle Jumbo

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yes. The idea is that clubs will be able to sign players in a literal sense, and there'll be a greater level of stability in the teams. Mostly, you won't have a team losing 5+ players in a week with no warning whatsoever, as they will at least be aware that a number of players are coming out of contract. It won't generally stop playing from moving if they want to.
Fair enough, sounds good to me. Maybe a combination of contracts and a draft for out of contracted players would work.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I don't think there should be a draft as I think players will just end up leaving a team every season until they get to the one they want, and that's just silly. There's also the fact that if a team has too many bowlers, they could get drafted in more and more bowlers which would cause problems.

I think of all the contract options shown here, Kearsley's is the best. It would need a little bit of work though - something like starting with 25 and then being able to add on new points every season for those that have "expired".

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think a Draft is the way to go either.. However im all for Contracts...

I think Contracts would be a great addition.. Obviously some people would be happy having 1 Season deals, but others(like myself) would be happy to commit for 2-3 or even 4 seasons... As for how a system would work im not sure, but we have people with enough brains here to work out a system that would be fair...

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
Blewy said:
I dont think a Draft is the way to go either.. However im all for Contracts...

I think Contracts would be a great addition.. Obviously some people would be happy having 1 Season deals, but others(like myself) would be happy to commit for 2-3 or even 4 seasons... As for how a system would work im not sure, but we have people with enough brains here to work out a system that would be fair...

yer agree with blewy.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
James90 said:
What then happens with players that sign up during the season?
Well they are drafted in as 'Rookies' and given an Automatic 2 year minumum contract. These would not be counted into the base points. The reason for the two years is that it will give them a chance of penetrating into the first XI and making a name for themselves. If for some reason they wanted to leave at the end of the first season e.g More opportunity, Then they would need to be TRADED for another player in which both captains agree.

age_master said:
A few points though
1) If there are points as mentioned above the Board of a panel would have to allocate points to players to keep the good players playing for 1 point each etc.

2) Sean has said in another post that if people want to move around they can sign 1 season contracts anyway - and captains are fairly happy to release players anyway as we have seen over the last couple of years.

3) Teams could be allowed 1 or 2 excemptions to the 'cap' to hold on to key or long term players

4) Captains would have to be exempt too

I certainly think that any system should be introduced for the coming season, if black do end up short they will have to sign more rookies and build their team up again.
1) Yer it would be upto the Captains and Board of Selectors or senior members of the team to decide who stays for what amount of time. They would ofcourse speak to the players first to see who is keen to stay on etc (If that players contract ahs expired)

2. Players would only be allowed to sign TWO 1 year contracts in a row at the same club, after that they would have to either sing a long term deal, be put into the draft (or rookie selection) or move to a different club.

3. Not sure about exemptions to the cap. We will just have to work out a number which will favour the players that wish to stay long term.

4. Yes, Captains would be exempt from contracts as, unless a big uproar was to happen (cough like this season) then i would doubt a skipper would want to leave.

Anymore thoughts? I really want this implemented.

Josh

International Regular
I'm pretty keen on it. That is if it's not too much trouble to the people that run the place. Really seems a good idea. However, I'm not familiar with the current system, being only newly signed up.

Either way; the contracts seem a credible idea, though.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'm not keen on the whole "you can't spend more than two seasons on a one-season contract" thing. It seems to defeat the whole point of keeping people at one team for as long as possible.