• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hey SBI the top and bottom half of the draws for Casablanca have the same link. I was just interesting in seeing how the chap who bet me has gone.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thanks mate.

Do players fatigue count, and players favourite surface count towards everyone's performances?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That loss was hardly unexpected. Will be happy enough with securing a top 100 spot though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Not unexpected. Hoping not to lose too many ranking points during the clay season and still be there or there abouts when we hit the grass.

Staying in Casablanca to shout for Drake.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miami Masters (QFs) - Mar 23 - Apr 5 Season I

US Men's Clay Court Championships
Quarterfinals - Houston

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals

Jojo Mustard is just one win away from become the fourth man in CWLand history to make an international series final after his three-set tussle with second seed Carlo Amato. Booking a spot in the semifinals of the US Men's Clay Court Championship in Houston, Mustard was in impressive touch as he proved too good for the inconsistent world number 26. The wily Italian at times played some great tennis, namely in the second set; but at other times seemed to be somewhere else completely at other stages. After trading sets with the solid CWLander, it seemed fitting that a match of changing momentums went to a tiebreaker. But as is his way, Amato went off the boil at a whim to hand Mustard a huge 6-4 1-6 7-6(0) victory. After defeating Amato and Massimo Prodi in succession, Mustard will hope he can make it a hat trick of Italians as he comes up against seventh seed Antonio Bachunelli.

Randy Smeltz, however, suffered defeat in his quarterfinal against top seed Tiago Matias despite some good form in the tournament. After not dropping a set so far, the fifth seed was caught completely off guard by the world number 16's early onslaught and suffered for his bewildered play. Whilst Smeltz seemed to improve as the match went on, unfortunately for him the Portuguese veteran did too as he booked a semifinal clash with Jean-Christophe Genghini in straight sets - 6-4 6-3.

Seeds Out: 2-Carlo Amato (ITA); 5-Randy Smeltz (CWL).

Grand Prix Hassan II
Quarterfinals - Casablanca

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals

Second seed Jefferson Drake's dominant streak of results continued in Casablanca, but he faces his biggest test so far in the semifinals with Hungarian József Boros waiting. Drake destroyed unseeded Israeli Tal Cohen in straight sets to continue his unbelievable record in this tournament - losing just eight games in his six sets so far. The confident Drake's form seems to be well on the up, and he set up a clash with the third seed with an emphatic 6-1 6-2 victory. In the other semifinal, top seed Rasmus Olesen faces seventh seed Ion Andueza of Spain.

Seeds Out: None.

Mister Wright

Big result for Mustard, particularly on clay. He'd love to make the final, but knows there's a lot of hard work to do.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miami Masters (SFs) - Mar 23 - Apr 5 Season I

Semifinals - Houston

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals

Jojo Mustard's dream run at the US Men's Clay Court Championships in Houston came to an abrupt end overnight after a straight sets exit to Italian Antonio Bachunelli. In the second semifinal, Mustard and Bachunelli traded early breaks as the first set headed for a tiebreaker. But a disappointing first-set decider robbed the CWLander of his confidence as he dropped six of the next seven games en route to a frustrating loss. Mustard, who had taken out two Italians in his previous two matches, looked to book a place in his first tour final, but his impressive tournament came to a disappointing end 7-6(1) 6-1.

In the other semifinal, top seed Tiago Matias proved too strong for unseeded Frenchman Jean-Christophe Genghini as he ran away with a 7-5 6-1 victory. The two finalists now have the unlikely record of neither player having dropped a set all tournament.

Seeds Out: 6-Jojo Mustard (CWL).

Grand Prix Hassan II
Semifinals - Casablanca

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals

Second seed Jefferson Drake will contest his second ATP final this Saturday after an impressive victory over József Boros in the semifinals of the clay tournament in Casablanca. The CWLander faced his toughest task of the tournament so far after dropping just eight games, and was not overawed by the situation as he stuck with his highly rated opponent. But Boros managed to snare the first set in a tiebreaker to take an early lead and put himself on the cusp of the final. But Drake struck back in the second by breaking service twice; and although he was broken late in the set, he had enough about him to level the match. The final set was just as tight a tussle as the first, and it seemed at times that neither man wanted to win as both had their service broke twice and countless other break point opportunities. But down 4-5, Drake rallied to claim three games on the trot to seal a fantastic victory 6(3)-7 6-4 7-5.

He will play seventh seeded Ion Andueza in the final, after the Spaniard produced an upset to eliminate top seed Rasmus Olesen in a come-from-behind victory. The world number 52 dropped the second set 4-6, but also came back to record an impressive 6-3 4-6 6-4 victory.

Seeds Out: 1-Rasmus Olesen (NOR); 3-József Boros (HUN).

Johnners

Noice work from Mustard making to the semis at Houston, shame about the loss though. On the way to Casablanca aws to cheer on Drake, and heckle Andueza so we see another title head CWs way.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
SUNDAY PREVIEW - DRAKE LOOKS TO MAKE CLAY STATEMENT
Jefferson Drake will look to solidify his return to form with a victory in Casablanca as he faces off against Spanish seventh seed Ion Andueza. Drake, who won his first and only ATP World Tour title in Delray Beach, has dropped just one set throughout the tournament on his unfavoured clay surface. His opponent luckily survived an opening round scare against Japan's Akihiko Veno where he was forced to save three match points, but has since remained somewhat untroubled in his other matches. This is the first meeting between the pair.

WHAT'S AT STAKE -
Winner: €59,100 and 175 ATP Ranking points
Runner-up: €31,000 and 120 ATP Ranking points

FINALS HISTORY -
Andueza: Appearing in his 1st career ATP World Tour final…He is 0-0 lifetime in finals
Drake: Appearing in his 2nd career ATP World Tour final…He is 1-0 lifetime in finals

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH-UPS

HEAD-TO-HEAD

(7) Ion Andueza (ESP) vs (2) Jefferson Drake (CWL) No Previous Matches
First match

Andueza FastFasts:
Season I Highlights:
QF: Memphis (Cowan)
Season I W-L: 7-7
Season I Titles: 0
Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: 11 March ,1987
ATP Ranking: 52

- Andueza, 21, is making his first tournament appearance and en route to the final, defeated Akihiko Veno (75 57 76) after saving three match points; Dênis Rodrigues (61 60); Oliver Engel (61 63) and top seed Rasmus Olesen (63 46 64)
- He is appearing in his first ATP World Tour final
- He has never appeared at a Grand Slam event
- His previous best performance in a tournament was making it to the quarterfinals in Memphis
- Played a part in the Spainish side which defeated the Netherlands in the Davis Cup World Group first round. He teamed with Sergio Joaquin to defeat Maarten Berg and Sipko Wetzel in the doubles rubber (63 60 62)

Drake FastFacts:
Season I Highlights:
Winner: Delray Beach (d Bradley); SF: Zagreb (Brdar); QF: Rotterdam (Daneu); R1: Australian Open (Carter)
Season I W-L: 16-5
Season I Titles: 1
Career Titles: 1
Date of Birth: 14 July, 1986
ATP Ranking: 18

- Drake, 22, is making his first tournament appearance and en route to the final, defeated Swede Henrik Henrikkson (60 62); Tu Haifeng (61 62); Israeli Tal Cohen (61 62) and third seed József Boros (67 6-4 7-5)
- He is appearing in his second ATP World Tour final; he won his first in Delray Beach against Jason Bradley (67 64 75)
- His only Grand Slam appearance, the Australian Open, saw him lose in straight sets in the opening round to Morgan Carter (36 26 46)
- Was defeated in the second round of the Indian Wells Masters by Almen Benaglio (36 75 46), and in the third round of the Miami Masters by Morgan Carter (63 36 46)
- Played a part in the CWLand side which defeated Belarus in the Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone I first round. He lost his opening match to Denis Isaev (46 16 63 36), and won the fourth rubber against Evgeniy Maximov (75 61 36 64)

SUNDAY PREVIEW - UNTOUCHABLE BACHUNELLI AND MATIAS SQUARE OFF
Top seed Tiago Matias and seventh seed Antonio Bachunelli are yet to drop a set in Houston, but will square off in a much anticipated final for the U.S. Clay Court Men's Championship. Matias will look to rectify his record in finals - his only previous appearance resulting in a loss to Davis Kennedy in Acapulco. Bachunelli will participate in his first ATP World Tour final, after besting his previous effort of a quarterfinal appearance at Vina del Mar. The two men have yet to compete against each other.

WHAT'S AT STAKE -
Winner: €59,100 and 175 ATP Ranking points
Runner-up: €31,000 and 120 ATP Ranking points

FINALS HISTORY -
Bachunelli: Appearing in his 1st career ATP World Tour final…He is 0-0 lifetime in finals
Matias: Appearing in his 2nd career ATP World Tour final…He is 0-1 lifetime in finals

CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH-UPS

HEAD-TO-HEAD

(7) Antonio Bachunelli (ITA) vs (1) Tiago Matias (POR) No Previous Matches
First match

Bachunelli FastFasts:
Season I Highlights:
QF: Vina del Mar (Oxenstierna)
Season I W-L: 5-4
Date of Birth: 31 October, 1977
ATP Ranking: 64

- Bachunelli, 32, is making his first tournament appearance and en route to the final, defeated Aldo Marín (63 76); qualifier Gocha Berianidze (61 76); Bogdan Maurer (62 63) and sixth seed Jojo Mustard (76 61)
- He is appearing in his first ATP World Tour final
- He failed to qualify for the Australian Open, losing in the second round of qualifying
- His previous best performance was in the quarterfinals at Vina del Mar, losing to Sven Oxenstierna (06 67)
- Played a part in the Italian side which lost to Belgium in the Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone I first round. He lost to Mark Harmel in the first singles rubber (57 36 62 26), and then teamed with Massimo Prodi in Italy's loss in the doubles rubber to Harmel and Jochen Sas (60 46 46 76 36)

Matias FastFacts:
Season I Highlights:
F: Acapulco (Kennedy); SF: Vina del Mar (Blanco); 4R: Australian Open (Murdoch); 3R: Indian Wells (Boros)
Season I W-L: 11-5
Date of Birth: 26 May, 1982
ATP Ranking: 16

- Matias, 27, is making his first tournament appearance and en route to the final, defeated Nikola Todorovski (60 62); wildcard Ryan Robinson (60 63); fifth seed Randy Smeltz (64 63) and Jean-Christophe Genghini (75 61)
- He is appearing in his second ATP World Tour final; he lost his first to Davis Kennedy in Acapulco (75 63)
- Lost in the fourth round in his only Grand Slam appearance at the Australian Open to American Dwayne Murdoch (64 46 67 36)
- Made the third round at the Indian Wells Masters before losing to József Boros (46 64 26); and the second round at the Miami Masters before bowing out to Marcelo Alavos (62 62)
- Played a part in the Portuguese side which defeated Lithuania in the Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone II first round. He won both of his singles rubbers against Tomas Ivanov (63 76 46 61) and Romas Jankovic (60 63 63)

Mister Wright

Bummer for Mustard, but good signs to make a semi on clay. Should give him confidence when the grass court season begins.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Miami Masters (Final) - Mar 23 - Apr 5 Season I

Finals - Houston

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals

Top seed Tiago Matias has rectified a losing ATP World Tour finals record by dismantling Antonio Bachunelli in straight sets in the final of the US Men's Clay Court Championships in Houston. Matias converted half of his six break point opportunities in the one hour and thirty minute contest to claim his first tour title. Neither man had dropped a set so far in the tournament, and it was Matias who struck first blood as he forced Bachunelli down a break. It was a similar story in a successful second set for the Portuguese 27-year old as he broke early and maintained his solid service to seal a 6-3 6-4 victory. Matias' ranking has shot up to twelve on the rankings released tomorrow, whilst Bachunelli has also been a big mover as charges up to number 38. The tournament will be a successful warm up for the pair ahead of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Seeds Out: 7-Antonio Bachunelli (ITA).

Grand Prix Hassan II
Finals - Casablanca

Top Half
Bottom Half
Finals

Jefferson Drake has lifted his second tour crowd, albeit on his non-preferred clay surface, with a come-from-behind victory against Spain's Ion Andueza in three sets 4-6 6-2 6-1. The second seed dropped his serve mid-way into the first set, and never recovered as the Spaniard surged to a one-set to love lead. But Drake rallied, and in a dominant second two sets he destroyed Andueza with some measured hard-hitting. Drake's victory in just under two hours sees him rectify some awful form as of late, and he will head into the Monte Carlo Masters ranked inside the top fifteen.

Seeds Out: 7-Ion Andueza (ESP).

A much needed return to form from Drake who, despite not being our top ranked player, is arguably more successful than "Mr. Semifinals" Sven Oxenstierna.

HeathDavisSpeed

It was worth staying behind to watch Drake.

Some words of encouragement between the 1st and 2nd ("Get into him, you ****ing ****!") must have given him a second wind.