• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lower order batsmen and Tailenders

kof98

U19 12th Man
Most of the time these guys don't bother the scorers much but once in a while they manager to score a fifty or maybe even a hundred (in first class games). Sometimes in one day games when the opposition need to score about 60 runs in the last 10 overs with only a few wickets left, there is a nasty suprise. The bowlers think they are batsmen and start hitting a few boundaries. In first class games quite often a lower order batsmen is the top scorer of an innings. My best lower order partnership so far in a first class game really demonstrated how momentum and partnerships is very important in cricket.

G Hamilton and R SideBottom 246 for the 9th wicket for Northants vs Somerset in 2011 :D . In a low scoring game I was about to be all out for less than 100 and would surely lose the game. I think its worth giving bowlers some batting practice in the nets once in a while.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They can be a right royal pain in the **** at times. My favourites are when you stick the number 11 on no aggression, and your number four on maximum, and you add 70 in five overs with the number 11 making two.

See Sanath Jayasuriya and Dilhara Fernando :p

Joao_Quinto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I never seem to have two tailenders having partnerships often but a batsman with the number eleven happens a lot both for and against.

Remember those uber keepers from Sri Lanka in ICC 2, well I managed to get one as an international before he had played FC (he had a 200+ second team avg) and he scored like 4000 runs in the season including something like 600 for the last wicket with the tail ender scoring less than 50. THe keeper got 657* that day.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
well i dont know if anybody else had this, but Tudor always makes runs for me @ england scored a few centuries with him batting at 8 or 9