• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bond to bowl again next month

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the actual master behind that plan was coach Denis Aberhart. You should notice that since he left his post as coach, NZ's tactics in the field have been very questionable at times.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Richard also needs to realise that the two tests against AUS were his first and were in AUS, and that's a pretty daunting task. He has obviously improved and proven himself since then.

And then of course we could talk about Harmisson's record against AUS! I was at the MCG to see him bowl the string of No-balls. And I think you will agree he has improved a LITTLE since then.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Add to the fact that Bond was actually about 3rd or 4th choice quick for that series considering how many bowlers went down ahead of him...Nash, O'Connor, Tuffey & even Kyle Mills was injured before NZ went to Australia.

Bond took some tap..but he also bowled a couple of teriffic spells of fast bowling. Most notably the 4 or 5 overs in Perth that he worked Steve Waugh over with before he finally bowled him.

Richard of course, didn't see much of that series..if any of it so he's only judging Bond by the stats.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will Scarlet said:
Richard also needs to realise that the two tests against AUS were his first and were in AUS, and that's a pretty daunting tast. He has obviously improved and proven himself since then.
So much so that he came-out of Sri Lanka with a brilliant average of 38. 8-) And in his only true test besides that he averaged 19 or something in West Indies.
And then of course we could talk about Harmisson's record against AUS! I was at the MCG to see him bowl the string of No-balls. And I think you will agree he has improved a LITTLE since then.
Improved, obviously, but nowhere near as much as most seem to think.
Ironically, the 11-overs-7-no-balls spell was one of the few in Australia where he got any wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Add to the fact that Bond was actually about 3rd or 4th choice quick for that series considering how many bowlers went down ahead of him...Nash, O'Connor, Tuffey & even Kyle Mills was injured before NZ went to Australia.

Bond took some tap..but he also bowled a couple of teriffic spells of fast bowling. Most notably the 4 or 5 overs in Perth that he worked Steve Waugh over with before he finally bowled him.

Richard of course, didn't see much of that series..if any of it so he's only judging Bond by the stats.
Wrong, I saw all three Tests of that series.
He bowled one or two good spells, yes - and in between bowled the biggest pile of rubbish you'll ever see. An average of 96 did not in any way do him injustice.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Wrong, I saw all three Tests of that series.
He bowled one or two good spells, yes - and in between bowled the biggest pile of rubbish you'll ever see. An average of 96 did not in any way do him injustice.
That's right...Under Richard's laws of cricket, players are only aloud to be as good as when Richard saw them, they are incapable of improvement.

Gee Tim, we should have realised that... :wacko:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, for crying out loud, how many times? :wallbash: :frusty:
I am not saying Bond is incapable of improvement, I am not even saying he is not a very good bowler already - simply saying that, at the present time, we have no evidence at all to suggest so.

EDIT: make that "in Test-matches" - we all know he's a superb ODI bowler.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mr Casson said:
That's true. Fleming had him figured out, but Bond was a very good executor.
If I remember correctly it was Andre Adams as much as Bond who had Martyn's number during that series.

Unfortunately both those bowlers have played little international cricket lately for various reasons.

And I have seen similar tactics employed against Martyn since , the Sri Lankan's tried to emulate it for a time during the 2002/03 VB series , setting a field with two gullies and two men on the circle in the point region , all looking for a catch.
The only problem was that Martyn had learned a thing or two and become more patient , and Nissanka just didnt quite have the control neccesary to carry out such a plan.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
I am not saying Bond is incapable of improvement, I am not even saying he is not a very good bowler already - simply saying that, at the present time, we have no evidence at all to suggest so.

Does this not count? 10 Matches, 43 wickets @ 24. He didn't do well against the Aussies in his first two tests, so what? It's called an average for a reason.

He is one of the few bowlers in recent times to really trouble the Aussies, having him fit later this year would be a huge boost to the NZ team.

Mister Wright

Richard said:

12 wickets against India in 2 tests, 12 wickets against the Windies in 2 tests, 11 wickets against Bangladesh in 2 tests, that's a pretty good record after his first 2 tests against Australia. Good enough evidence?

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Yes, of course, he really troubled your batsmen in those 2 Tests where he took 3 wickets at 96.33, didn't he?! :frusty:
He's almost always caused you big problems in the ODIs (except that 10-63-2 match in the ICCCT2002) but his achievements in Tests really are rather over-estimated!
Bond has pace, and if he can retain his pace he offers peneration which is important in getting wickets - which after all win matches.

Tuufey unless he is in favourable conditions IMO doesn't look like taking wickets some times.

Mister Wright

Craig said:
Bond has pace, and if he can retain his pace he offers peneration which is important in getting wickets - which after all win matches.

Tuufey unless he is in favourable conditions IMO doesn't look like taking wickets some times.
Tuffey didn't have favourable conditions in India, but was one of the better bowlers IIRC.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tuffey was easily the best seam bowler on offer from both sides during the test series in India last year. I think he ended up with an average of 28 over the series with 7 or 8 wickets which is pretty good over 2 tests in India.

Unfortunately since he sustained that knee injury against Pakistan earlier in the year he's gone way off the form chart.
Tuffey I think really enjoyed bowling in tandom with Bond, he really lifted his performances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
iamdavid said:
And I have seen similar tactics employed against Martyn since , the Sri Lankan's tried to emulate it for a time during the 2002/03 VB series , setting a field with two gullies and two men on the circle in the point region , all looking for a catch.
The only problem was that Martyn had learned a thing or two and become more patient , and Nissanka just didnt quite have the control neccesary to carry out such a plan.
Only just! :laugh:
If Nissanka ever has the control to carry-out a decent plan I'll eat my computer! A shocker of a bowler.
Would be interesting to see how they'd implement it now; Martyn has never been the greatest against spin and you've got Vaas, the seemingly-improved Zoysa (fingers-crossed) and possibly Maharoof too to do the gully-trap.
Shame Sri Lanka aren't pencilled-in for any Australia games in the near future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Macka said:
Does this not count? 10 Matches, 43 wickets @ 24. He didn't do well against the Aussies in his first two tests, so what? It's called an average for a reason.

He is one of the few bowlers in recent times to really trouble the Aussies, having him fit later this year would be a huge boost to the NZ team.
He's troubled them in ODIs - he did not trouble them in Test-matches. I fail to see how it is so likely to help in the imminent Test-matches.
It's called a misleading average for a reason, too - after that terrible first 2 matches, he managed the extraordinary feat of doing well against Bangladesh, wowee, that means a lot. Also so amazing that he managed to do well in that home India series where any decent seamer would fancy their chances of averaging in the teens.
Bond's only notable achievement in his Test-career was to bowl well on some presumbably-not-especially-helpful wickets in West Indies - and that's offset for me by 2 poor series in Australia and Sri Lanka.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
12 wickets against India in 2 tests, 12 wickets against the Windies in 2 tests, 11 wickets against Bangladesh in 2 tests, that's a pretty good record after his first 2 tests against Australia. Good enough evidence?
No, because I don't place any importance on games involving Bangladesh, and I think any half-decent seamer could have taken 12 wickets at 19 or whatever it was on those pitches the India series was played on.
And you conveniently neglected to mention his poor Sri Lanka series - so in his only three real challenges, he's succeeded once and failed twice - not a particularly brilliant achievement in my eyes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Yes, mate, I know - but nonetheless he hasn't done particularly well so far. I'll be perfectly happy if this changes against Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Tuffey didn't have favourable conditions in India, but was one of the better bowlers IIRC.
Tim said:
Tuffey was easily the best seam bowler on offer from both sides during the test series in India last year. I think he ended up with an average of 28 over the series with 7 or 8 wickets which is pretty good over 2 tests in India.
Except that he actually did very poorly in The First Test and very well in the Second - added to the fact that he's done very poorly almost every other time in his career that he's been confronted with a pitch not offering seam-movement, I think we can safely say that Second Test isn't the be-all-and-end-all.
Tim said:
Unfortunately since he sustained that knee injury against Pakistan earlier in the year he's gone way off the form chart.
Wouldn't he do well to think about taking some time off, then, and getting the thing sorted?
He's hardly much use to the side if he's bowling like he's bowling ATM.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, I've never seen Harmison bowl as badly as Nissanka at his worst! And I've seen Harmison bowl pretty poorly (VB Series games 7, 8 and 10).
You don't seriously think Nissanka has international potential, do you?