• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Weirdest Backyard Rule?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hit A little wheel mounted on a tree on the full - 20 runs
Hit A little wheel mounted on a tree on the bounce - 10 runs
Hit it in the Pegs basket - 50 runs
Unlimitted head hunters!

GAME ON!

Link

State Vice-Captain
In our area. If you lose the ball you are out and you immediatly go and buy a new one. If you hit the lamp post its eight runs.

cameeel

International Captain
If you hit in the river you have to fetch it, and hitting a tent on the full is 12 runs

12th Man

U19 12th Man
When your playing with crap players, you have to bat left handed and bowl left handed. I had many troubles with that rule

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hit it onto the road on the full its out.
if it bounces before the road and crosses the road its a four
if it completely clears the road its a six.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Two2

A variant of Twenty20. Each person has 2 overs and unlimited wickets to slog as many as they can.

Onto a roof without losing it: 12
Onto a roof losing it: 2 and out
Out: -5
Over a fence: Out
Car windscreen when people out: 10 (Out if it smashes)
No more than 3 bouncers in an innings
Shot over your head and over roof (tennis style): 10

Apart from that normal fours and sixes

SIX AND OUT

U19 12th Man
My Backyard

Attention, this might be long, but I have put together something incredible for any backyard cricket lover, it might be long, but enjoy the report and photographs

Backyard Cricket has been in the Robinson household for over 5 years now. The two veterens of the game is the great big teenager Michael Robinson while the 10 year-old youngster with plenty of resiliance is Glenn Robinson, who both have played over 400 BC Matches in there short careers.

Our backyard might not consist of too many rules, which makes the game much more statistical in my point of view. We get more overs in and reward ourselves with a much better batting average.

Our "six and out" rule is seen as 3 sixes in a row, or over the neighbours fence (20 meters down the ground with a huge tree that normally blocks the route) is the option to get out the aggressive way.

Not only do we have an "Auto Keeper" but we have the whole slips cordon, any edge behind on the off side to the brick wall is out.

Now to the pitch. Tony Greig would have a pleasure testing out this 20 year old pitch. It is hard and true, but has plenty of cracks, normally representing rectangular shapes. The pitch is not straight, but is close enough. This pitch is certainly a spinners heaven. Plenty of turn with either the new or old ball, and the ants nests in the wet weather certainly give you the rough patches.

Our young no.1 fan, "Leo" has provided us with some photographs of this great pitch on the Beacy Backyard Cricket Ground, and couldn't help to put a picture in of himself. :D

hope everyone enjoyed this report and pictorial on a great backyard cricket masterpiece.

Attachments

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Waughney said:
We used to have a similar thing. If you hit a 6, if you could gather it in a certain amount of time, you could bat again.
We have:

over fence on full - out
over fence on bounce/rebound - not out if you get the ball in a reasonable length of time
over fence of body (playing against back fence) - not out if you get the ball in a reasonable length of time

rockymazza

Cricket Spectator
Ive got a big garden so it can be rather fun.
Past the garden and you get a 4, past the garden with no bounce and its a 6. Can only get 4 or 6 by hitting it straight down the garden.. If it goes over the fence, out with no runs. Ball can be stopped by almost everything. Once we played cricket and i hit the ball and it got caught by the Lawn Mower! Another time was when i was gonna hit a four and my cat got in the way! My brother once got ran out by my cat. Dont ask how. The cats ok though. I also like the rule. Over the house and 10 runs. And you stay in only if you can find the ball. Over the house and never been done yet though.Hehe. Oh im not from West Brom.

Link

State Vice-Captain
rockymazza said:
Another time was when i was gonna hit a four and my cat got in the way! My brother once got ran out by my cat. Dont ask how.
im sorry, but i have to.

please go on

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Backyard Cricket

The Ground: A small grassy area just outside my house. The boundaries are comprised on the off side in the form of a mildly busy road, on the straight boundary is a fence covered with brambles with a field of corn behind it and behind the batsman and on the on side are houses except for a small area near to the field end where there is a front garden hedge. There is also a big tree that sits about 2 metres off the square. The square itself is generally flat with no bumps except for when it dips just about where the perfect lengthed ball should be pitched creating all sorts of odd bounces.

Teams: Due to the idiots that live in the village, teams are generally restricted to only one

Scoring: Singles and twos are unheard of in this version of the game. Runs also cannot be scored by hitting the walls of the houses (unless the ball then bounces to any other boundary) but can by hitting the ball onto the road, hedge, fence and field. Runs can't be scored behind the batsman when there is no one there to be a wicketkeeper. If the ball goes across any boundary: Bounces - 4 runs, No bounce - 6. When the ball its the wall it doesn't count as a bounce.

Dismissal: Batsmen can be out in all standard ways - most common are bowled and caught. However batsmen are also out if they hit the ball into neighbour's gardens or lose the ball in the field. Batsmen can also be caught off the wall as long as the ball hasn't bounced. No automatic wicketkeeper.

The Ball: Ranges from a Slazenger training ball, to a Readers Swing Ball to a tennis ball...depends what hasn't been lost, all add different things to the game.

Fairly length but quite a full set of rules 8-)

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
My garden rules

10 mins each, highest score after 2 innings and you win!

Hit tree- 4, unless you are caught one-handed in which case you are out
Hit fence on full- 6
Hit fence after 1+ bounces- 4
Over the fence- Out unless you can retrieve it within the remainder of your batting time
Edge and caught on chair- Out
Hits kitchen on french doors- Wide
Beamers- If you get hit, no-ball
Bouncers- The more painfull, the better!

Its hard not to bowl bouncers- becuase in the peak of the heat, the pitch is hard and dry, so any good length ball is a jaffa, as it either takes your head off, or sends your middle stump cartwheeling.

Its more of a geographical danger zone than a ten10 pitch- Green, Dusty and really Hard

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
if you dived on the concrete to get home at my school you would be safe, needless to say it wasnt a rule regularly called upon

JohnFudz

Cricket Spectator
BackYard Cricket

My Backyard Cricket Rules
OUTS
Hit A Pot Plant
Hit The Ball Over The Fence
Hit The Chair (Silly Mid Off)
Run Out
Caught by Auto Wicket Keeper and Slips
Hit Window

Hit Behind The BBQ 6 runs
Hit Fence on Fall 6 Runs
hit rocks near fence 4 runs

_GB_

Cricket Spectator
If you hit it over the fence on the leg side twice in one over, you get 6 runs and you're out. Batsman and bowler take turns getting the ball.
Hit it over the fence to the off side and you're out for no runs (it's much harder to get into the garden on the off side) and the batsman gets the ball.
Hit a window and you're out.
Hit it through an open window and you get 50 runs and are out.
Play the ball onto the fence behind you and you're out.