• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fanie De Villiers Hits out on the state of RSA cricket

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
Is he suggesting that Ntini and Gibbs shouldn't be in the team?
Herschelle Gibbs after WC2003: scorebook-average 21.50, first-chance average 17.93.
If anyone was suggesting such, IMO they'd have a point!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
What does Richard have to say about Duminy after calling him better than Graeme Smith at such a young age?...batting the poor guy at #8 is bizarre.
And when did I ever "call him better than Graeme Smith"?
I said he could have the potential to be even better.
Maybe if he were to bat at five we might actually get something a bit closer to a proper representation of his ability.
As it is they almost seem to have done a Gavin Ewing with Zimbabwe, and somehow managed to mistake a massively promising batsman for a bowler who bats a bit.
But how any supposed international selector can do that is totally beyond me.
Maybe an average of 60+ doesn't register with them? Maybe that's the reason Sridharam Sriram has never got a Test?

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
They must know he's a batsman, he hardly ever bowls for WP. I don't know why he was down at 8 though. Probably another conservative move from the selectors, rather promote Pollock & Boucher than put a youngster in a pressure situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So it's best to put someone with rare promise in a place where he's never going to have much chance of scoring runs?
Not AFAIAC.
If Duminy's been picked as a batsman, I'd back him more than Boucher or Pollock.