• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Flintoff number 1?

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
You said it yourself you fool.
2 things....
1) i said that midway through the WI series,and i would say that about anyone who played such silly shots, which he answered emphatically with a 5fer and a 100 in the last test.
2) whether or not i say that he should be dropped has no impact on the selectors decisions, they are the ones who drop him remember, and there was absolutely no doubt in their minds that he shouldnt be dropped

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
West Indies and New Zealand. Neither of whom are top class teams like Australia, India and South Africa.

woah there...why is everyone now saying New Zealand arent that good in tests....beleive it or not, they have probably a better test record recently than India....and by the way Flintoff did play well vs South Africa last year

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
woah there...why is everyone now saying New Zealand arent that good in tests....beleive it or not, they have probably a better test record recently than India....
Errr no. They are 7th in the world. If India beat Australia this winter they go 2nd, even if its just 1-0 or 2-1. Excluding Mark Richardson and maybe Jacob Oram, New Zealand now have no top class players whatsoever. India have Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Sehwag, Kumble, Harbhajan and arguably Pathan.

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
2) whether or not i say that he should be dropped has no impact on the selectors decisions, they are the ones who drop him remember, and there was absolutely no doubt in their minds that he shouldnt be dropped
then its better u dont say anything from now own
keep england selectors for u r talking

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Errr no. They are 7th in the world. If India beat Australia this winter they go 2nd, even if its just 1-0 or 2-1. Excluding Mark Richardson and maybe Jacob Oram, New Zealand now have no top class players whatsoever. India have Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Sehwag, Kumble, Harbhajan and arguably Pathan.
the gap between nz in seventh and england in second is pretty marginal.

By the way..its a pretty big 'if' about india beating australia.

remember nz have only recently beaten india in nz and drew with india in india, so lets not get too ****y about India's superiority over New Zealand

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:

well you could say arguably astle,fleming etc..oh and not forgeting cairns as well

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
the gap between nz in seventh and england in second is pretty marginal.

By the way..its a pretty big 'if' about india beating australia.

remember nz have only recently beaten india in nz and drew with india in india, so lets not get too ****y about India's superiority over New Zealand
India beat Australia at home and drew with them in Australia, but like you said, that does not mean they are better. By the same token, NZ beat India in NZ and drew with India in India, but that does not prove they are a better team. From a combined India-NZ side, imo only 3 Kiwis would get in.

Sehwag
Richardson
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly
McCullum
Oram
Kumble
Pathan
Harbhajan

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
then its better u dont say anything from now own
keep england selectors for u r talking
why should i not say anything? i have my opinion and quite frankly if flintoff had failed for the rest of that series i would have dropped him....fact is that he didnt so he didnt prove me wrong in any way whatsoever.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
well you could say arguably astle,fleming etc..oh and not forgeting cairns as well
Astle and Fleming are Test class but nothing more, Cairns was a quality player but has now retired.

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
India beat Australia at home and drew with them in Australia, but like you said, that does not mean they are better. By the same token, NZ beat India in NZ and drew with India in India, but that does not prove they are a better team. From a combined India-NZ side, imo only 3 Kiwis would get in.

Sehwag
Richardson
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly
McCullum
Oram
Kumble
Harbhajan
Pathan
and once again it should be said that it does not mean anything....india have for more than a decade now looked good on paper, but have they achieved anywhere near what they should have?

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
Astle and Fleming are Test class but nothing more, Cairns was a quality player but has now retired.
yeah and NZ havent played a test since Cairns retirement, and so Cairns was a part of recent history for NZ.

biased indian

International Coach
tooextracool said:
why should i not say anything? i have my opinion and quite frankly if flintoff had failed for the rest of that series i would have dropped him....fact is that he didnt so he didnt prove me wrong in any way whatsoever.
than stick on to what u have said than rather bringing selectors into the picture.what has selectors got to do with u r comments and y prase them when u have already critisised them for not dropping flintoff.

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:

Sehwag
Richardson
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Ganguly
McCullum
Oram
Kumble
Pathan
Harbhajan
and for all that talent, India really havent done that much in tests recently (yes we all know they drew with a fairly depleted Australian team that didnt play up to scratch..well done!!!).

It just appears to me that when ever England do well against someone, then that team are always dissed as being poor...anyone actually think it could be that England are playing good cricket.

Just face facts India havent done brilliantly in tests in the 18 months to 2 years (beating Australia at home 3 and a half years ago is not relevent anymore)....and come to think of it, the so called second best ODI team (ie India) hasnt done too well in one dayers either.

You can write a list of all the great players you want...until that talent translates into results,its worth nothing

tooextracool

International Coach
biased indian said:
than stick on to what u have said than rather bringing selectors into the picture.what has selectors got to do with u r comments and y prase them when u have already critisised them for not dropping flintoff.
i seriously recommend that you learn to read becuase i have never said that flintoff should be dropped or criticised the selectors for not dropping him or even praised the selectors in any of my posts in this thread.

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
it was TEC's personal opinion that Flintoff should be dropped if he continued getting out at silly times....but earlier in this thread someone said Flintoff was close to being dropped..well TEC isnt a selector and so had no say in the matter...Flintoff was never going to be dropped by the England selectors, but it doesnt stop Joe Public thinking he should have been dropped does it.

edit: and TEC might not have actually even said he though Flintoff should be dropped,I am trusting you on that one!!!!

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
and for all that talent, India really havent done that much in tests recently (yes we all know they drew with a fairly depleted Australian team that didnt play up to scratch..well done!!!).

It just appears to me that when ever England do well against someone, then that team are always dissed as being poor...anyone actually think it could be that England are playing good cricket.
ya Aus team recently was the worst they has in their history

and WI that eng playing now is the best that they had ever :D :D :D :D

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
ya Aus team recently was the worst they has in their history

and WI that eng playing now is the best that they had ever :D :D :D :D
well it certainly wasnt Australia at its strongest was it.
And no its not a brilliant WI team, but i didnt see India whipping WI's ass a bit ago like England are this year

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
it was TEC's personal opinion that Flintoff should be dropped if he continued getting out at silly times....but earlier in this thread someone said Flintoff was close to being dropped..well
the person who said flintoff should be dropped is saying his Personal opinion
or is that only TEC is allowed to have personal opinions

Swervy

International Captain
biased indian said:
the person who said flintoff should be dropped is saying his Personal opinion
or is that only TEC is allowed to have personal opinions
no, in actua fact, if you had read this thread properly you would see that it was 'a massive zebra' who stated that Flintoff was close to being dropped..that wasnt his opinion, he said it as though that was fact..when in fact it wasnt

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
well it certainly wasnt Australia at its strongest was it.
And no its not a brilliant WI team, but i didnt see India whipping WI's ass a bit ago like England are this year
aus missed macgrath for that matter india missed srinath due to retierment and zaheer they could be atleast 3/4 of macgrath

and ya india really missed shane warne :D :D :D