• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spearman interested in playing for England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig Spearman has told Cricinfo that he's interested in playing for England if he gets the opportunity.
Good luck to him.

PY

International Coach
Can't see it happening to be honest. Trescothick, Vaughan and Strauss look pretty set to me.

Wouldn't mind him in ODI though after what he did to Yorkshire the other day. :wacko:

PY

International Coach
I'm surprised in you Richard!! Looking at merely an average?

:laugh:

That was far too easy....:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What were you suggesting I looked at instead?
And were you suggesting a low average can mean someone isn't crap?

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Spearman for England

If his mother is Welsh then he should qualify as a local player but still be eligible for NZ. Not just simply say, "I'm British now!". And now he is listed as an overseas player for CD. This seems bloody ridiculous.

I wanted him to play for NZ in the 2003 WC after seeing his turn-around in form in England, only to find out he was ineligible. Then he was badly needed in the test series against England due to injuries and form.

At the same time, NZC needs to learn from this and look after their players better. I believe that improved TV coverage of domestic cricket in NZ would significantly increase interest in the games and players, thus increasing revenues and player payments. I realise that TV coverage of domestic cricket is expensive but most people won't go and watch matches when they don't know the players.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracewell sounded him out when he took over at the start of the year but Spearman told him he was committed to England now.

I still have my doubts whether he'd be any better in international matches, to be honest.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Tim said:
Bracewell sounded him out when he took over at the start of the year but Spearman told him he was committed to England now.

I still have my doubts whether he'd be any better in international matches, to be honest.
He's a different player to the one that played for NZ. Much more aggressive, and if he was younger a certainty for the England One day side imo. But he's 32 now and its just not going to happen no matter how much he scores at domestic level this year or next.

shaka

International Regular
I guess John Bracewell is rueing that decision to get Craig Spearman to Gloucestershire now.

Spearman has not looked that great in the twenty/twenty games, in one game I think he made 2* , lasting the whole game (5 overs each through rain), luckily his partner got them home easily.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
PY said:
Can't see it happening to be honest. Trescothick, Vaughan and Strauss look pretty set to me.

Wouldn't mind him in ODI though after what he did to Yorkshire the other day. :wacko:

When exactly has Vaughan looked pretty set? I'm not even sure Vaughan warrants selection in ODIs.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
What were you suggesting I looked at instead?
And were you suggesting a low average can mean someone isn't crap?
Yes, I do suggest that.

If you were relying on statistics only, you wouldn't wouldn't have Warne in the Top 10 bowlers in the world because his bowling average is only around 25. 8-)

I suggest you actually watch him play before you give off an opinion of him.

Craig

World Traveller
I think he has very little chance.

An average of 18 hardly makes him a good international batsman.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
I think he has very little chance.

An average of 18 hardly makes him a good international batsman.
You cant say that.

Hayden, Martyn, Lehman etc.. all had **** poor avrages when they were called back into international cricket.

Players can improve and in some cases a great deal if they really put an effort in.

cbuts

International Debutant
Will Scarlet said:
If his mother is Welsh then he should qualify as a local player but still be eligible for NZ. Not just simply say, "I'm British now!". And now he is listed as an overseas player for CD. This seems bloody ridiculous.

I wanted him to play for NZ in the 2003 WC after seeing his turn-around in form in England, only to find out he was ineligible. Then he was badly needed in the test series against England due to injuries and form.

At the same time, NZC needs to learn from this and look after their players better. I believe that improved TV coverage of domestic cricket in NZ would significantly increase interest in the games and players, thus increasing revenues and player payments. I realise that TV coverage of domestic cricket is expensive but most people won't go and watch matches when they don't know the players.
he isnt jsut saying he is british now, for the past 3 season he has been playing as an import as cd, as this gives him greater security on his county contract, as he is a local player. he has been living for britian for the past 3 years with his wife and kids, and now feels that is his home, and he is getting residency as im lead to beleive. the domestic game is resonably covered in nz, there is a lack of money and a lack of sponsors, fans at the domestic level. u gotta remeber this is a nation of 4 million people, most of who dont give two ****s about cricket unless we are winning.

the plyer strike a couple of years ago, secured significantly larger domestic contracts. nz cricket is already seeing the benifit, layers are staying till an older age, and considering cricket is a sport where players tend to do well later in age - in nz anyways. this is leading to better younger players, asw more experienced players are there to help mentor them to the top level.

Craig

World Traveller
Mingster said:
Yes and that average was at least 3 years ago? He has improved as a batsman from those days.
How many opportunities did he get though?

And how many did he take? I'm thinking it is lease then 5.

Even if he didn't go abroad I doubt he would even be considered for the Black Caps.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
why in the world would england pick a NZ reject?
You obviously haven't seen England play an ODI match in awhile. Their 'top order' is barely that. Spearman probably isn't the answer, but you could do a lot worse, you could have Robert Key, Andrew McGrath, or Rikki Clarke in your team. Or perhaps even Michael Vaughan.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I went along earlier in the year & watched the State Shield final, where Craig Spearman went nuts & hit 90 odd runs off about 60 balls. There is absolutely no doubt that had he transformed that kind of form to international cricket he'd be up there alongside Sehwag, Gilchrist etc as one of the most destructive batsmen in the game...but it's not to be, and I don't think it'll ever change for him.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Are there really no capable batsmen in England that they have to pick someone who has played for an opposition team before? There have to be better English players than mere passport holders from abroad. Soon you'll find an English XI full of foreign passport holders.