Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite commentator

U19 12th Man
    How could you say you like Gavaskar? :O . I think he knows only to criticize everything.

Boycs is good. Harsha is fine. Navjot is Terrible. David Gower is quite cool. Richie Benaud has a sweet voice Mike Haysman has a beautiful style of talking
    "Life is just a demo... but I still can't afford the full version"

For some fun visit my website - http://www.smilehouse.cjb.net
    * Software * Online Games * Pranks * Wallpapers * Source Code * and lots more :)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I think I made it QUITE clear that I don't like Sunny at all. He seems alright as a guy and has a sense of humour and was obviously a magnificent player but yes, he's way too critical of players these days.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    What are your views on Ravi Shastri ?
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Boycott with cancer !

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box

Harsha Bhogle is my favourite commentator.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    For me, there has been one truly favourite commentator - ever!

There have been a number who have had their moments (Ravi can be fun sometimes, Jonners was a legend, Tony Cosier - very dry, Ritchie, Boyks - "corridor of uncertainty", Tanny Grig, Bill Lawry "He's a Victorian and so am I and fkin proud of it" - sorry, just listened to a bit more Third Man).

If there is a heaven, and they are covering the fourth test live, the guy running the show is the one for me.

Take a bow, John Arlott. The greatest (IMO) commentator of my (protracted) lifetime.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

State 12th Man
    Yeah have heard about Arlott, what about some guy named Johnston (Brian I think), how was he?

State 12th Man
    For me the ideal cobination is Ian Chappell and Imran Khan, I heard them together in WC99 I think? I like Ian Chappell and Richie Beanud combination as well, Richie is very insightful and is never wrong about anything.
    Bob Woolmer was very good too.

People dont seem to appreciate Sunny much, but I like him quite a lot, he has original ideas, not right all the time though, but still interesting. The only time when Sunny gets a little annoying is when Sachin is batting. Harsha, Bill Lawry are both good and extremely likeable, neutral. David Gower also.

Henry Blofeld was a bit voer the top and had no idea about cricket itself, but still quite funny at times and entertaining.

I despise Siddhu, to a lesser extent Shastri and Ramiz, and most of the English gang, Botham, Willis, Jackman, etc.

Yeah have heard about Arlott, what about some guy named Johnston (Brian I think), how was he?
    Brian Johnston was the 'Jonners' I referred to in passing in my previous post. He was more than 'just' a commentator - he was a consummate entertainer and one of the BBC's finest. A legend (you may have seen some of the postings about 'Jonnersisms' : "The batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey" etc) and there is not a lot between him and Arlott.

Jonners also used to present 'Down your Way' for BBC radio. They did my village a few years ago and he was absolutely wonderful (spent some time afterwards talking about cricket too).

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Here's a nice article on cricket commentary in India, specially in the times when the radio ruled the roost.My Dad still raves about Pearson Surita and Vizzy.

http://www.criclive.com/expert/narottam_puri15.htm
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    My favourite currently has to be Dermot Reeve...

SL-Eng 00-01... "Not Out... OUT?!!?! at huge volume" At one of BC Cooray's dodgier decisions.

NW Series 02... "That is the best catch I have ever seen in my life" on Kirtley

Wonderful overreactions...
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Dermot Reeve's excesses are likely to be immortalised in print.

Private Eye tend to use a few more cricket commentators' gaffes in their legendary 'Colemanballs' books nowadays (my wife always buys me the new one for Christmas, together with the latest 'Darwin Awards').

I'm glad she shows no imagination.

I like Holding and Boycott because just by listening to their analysis you learn a lot, plus they call it as they see it and don't 'over praise' players. Exciting commentary in the ODI matches: Tony Grieg.
    "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

U19 Cricketer
    Tony grieg is the most biased commentator i have ever heard. More than bias he is also stupid..and i hate it when he goes nuts like a radio commentator when nothing happens.

I like Sunny, richie,shastri,boycs, harsha bogle and Henry blofeld.
    "We've been doubling sales every 18 months. However, when you start from zero, it takes a long while." -- Stephen Yeo, a marketing director at Windows-terminal manufacturer Wyse, explaining his company's less-than-meteoric rise, to ZDNet UK

Tony greig often acts like an over hyped kid at the mic. I hate it when he comes up with unnecessary wild reactions. I Admire his love for the game, but as a commentator well....

Typically he would come up with a scream : AAAOHHHHHH he's got him caught behind its all over.............well the umpire didn't budge.........My initial reaction WAS...you know the rest......

And yes he is biased 90 times out of 100, While he's commentating, only one team are out in the field playing.

[Edited on 9/6/02 by Gotchya]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information