• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fast Bowler Survival - 2020 edition

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A decade ago I ran a fast bowler survivor competition, to see which fast bowlers cricketweb rated most highly. With everyone in lockdown and bored right now, I figured I would run another one.

The way that this works is that I will subdivide the nominated fast bowlers into groups. People rank the bowlers in each group. At each stage, the best ranked bowlers will progress and the lowest ranked bowlers will not.

The top 44 bowlers from the previous competition will be seeded according to their place in the competition a decade ago.

Here are the seedings for this competition:

1 Malcolm Marshall
2 Richard Hadlee
3 Glenn McGrath
4 Curly Ambrose
5 Imran Khan
6 Waqar Younis
7 Dennis Lillee
8 Wasim Akram
9 Fred Trueman
10 Sydney Barnes
11 Joel Garner
12 Michael Holding
13 Ray Lindwall
14 Allan Davidson
15 Allan Donald
16 Harold Larwood
17 Frank Tyson
18 Andy Roberts
19 Shaun Pollock
20 Keith Miller
21 George Lohmann
22 Shane Bond
23 John Snow
24 Jeff Thomson
25 Bob Willis
26 Courtney Walsh
27 Neil Adcock
28 Brian Statham
29 Maurice Tate
30 Dale Steyn
31 Ian Botham
32 Wes Hall
33 Peter Pollock
34 Fazal Mahmood
35 Alec Bedser
36 Frederick Spofforth
37 Jack Gregory
38 Mohammad Nissar
39 Bruce Reid
40 Jason Gillespie
41 Kapil Dev
42 Jack Cowie
43 Ian Bishop
44 Shoaib Akhtar

The next step is to take nominations for fast bowlers not included in this list.

Players will be divided into groups and voting will commence.

First round -> round of 32 -> round of 16 -> quarter finals (8) -> semi finals -> finals.

I will take nominations for the next 48h for players not seeded.

Last edited:

stephen

I nominate Pat Cummins, Vernon Philander, Mitchell Starc, Mohammed Abbas, Josh Hazlewood, Jasprit Bumrah and Kagiso Rabada.

stephen

I nominate Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris, Stuart Broad and James Anderson.

ataraxia

International Coach
I nominate Colin Croft, Bill Johnston, Mike Procter, and Trevor Goddard (if we're counting that sort of pace).

Starfighter

Nominate Graham McKenzie, Geoff Lawson, Peter Heine, Charlie Griffith, Bill Voce, Ken Farnes, Jack Gregory, Ted McDonald, Tom Richardson, Manny Martindale.

Starfighter

If we're going by the Javagal Srinath average of 32 standard then I'll throw in:

Terry Alderman, Rodney Hogg, Dick Motz, Bruce Taylor, Richard Collinge, Chris Old, Geoff Arnold, Graham Dilley

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
given Nissar is in I'll toss a nom to Amar Singh. Also Vince van der Bijl, Makhaya Ntini, Morné Morkel, Kemar Roach, Merv Hughes

stephen

I nominate Craig McDermott. Most underrated bowler in here given the other nominations.