• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The upside is that it will make some of the one sided foregone conclusions more exciting. Even if Australia's made 450 and you've been rolled out for 200, a draw is still very much on the cards.

OverratedSanity

Who cares about triple centuries anyway, most of them are boring as ****. The real issue is whether bowling teams will be able to get through the required overs to ensure a result.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The test championship is gonna have that impact anyway
I agree. It probably was the reason we didn't get to see Warner at least be able to attempt the 400 recently

But this extra limitation will make even 300s a thing of the past.

I think that's a little sad as a kid the thing I loved most about cricket were batsmen breaking records

Spikey

Like, they're talking about 4 day tests for the purposes of the test championship, which already heavily promotes winning games over drawing games. We're gonna likely see teams play slightly different anyway to get the full points on offer

The flipside is that you might just see those 600 scores. It's just that the team will have to enforce the follow on, but they might decide that is their best path to victory

Spikey

The real issue is whether bowling teams will be able to get through the required overs to ensure a result.
I don't see why this would be an issue at all. it's the test championship, so they'll actually be something that can be taken away from teams with slow over rates - their points. (Which I have mixed feelings about but that's what they'll do). Teams get through 96 overs in FC cricket, they'll adjust and it'll be fine. My only worry is seeing bad part timers bowl to get through overs quickly, but that happens as it stands anyway.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
How about the team batting first scoring 500 in 4-5 sessions and then the team batting second bats the rest of the test match seeing no hope of a result. 300 is still possible in this case.

mr_mister

How about the team batting first scoring 500 in 4-5 sessions and then the team batting second bats the rest of the test match seeing no hope of a result. 300 is still possible in this case.
True I guess. Though I could see the team batting second doing some funky day 4 declaration with only a very small lead just to try the Hail Mary. Paine and Kohli would

Spikey

The most likely scenario is the same as the Michael Clarke 300. Team batting first gets rolled cheaply, team batting second is able to bat big.

sunilz

International Regular
4 day test would be problematic in ENG and SL where there are always chances of rain . These countries should have reserve days.

mr_mister

There is no Sehwag of this era

Maxwell should have been given a chance to be it in tests but alas

Warner and Iqbal bat mature and boring now

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, that is a fair point. But some one like Rohit Sharma, if he gets in a flat pitch might get 100 of 150 and then if stars align might score 300 of 350. Possible, but not probable.

Anyways, I am not a big fan of 300s :)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The whole I won't consider them tests anymore! is stupid for the reasons Spikey mentioned. But I just don't see much appeal in removing the 5th day. The arguments that I can think of would be 1) If you know for sure it's only going to be four days, you can squeeze in back to back tests more tightly than you would with five day matches, 2a) It will force teams to play more aggressively in search of results and probably 2b) force pitches to never be complete highways. But all these things have happened organically over the last couple of decades. Scoring rates got higher, in the 2000s, in the 2010s result pitches started being delivered everywhere bar Australia and New Zealand - who have still been able to win tests at home anyway because of their bowling attack - and every big tests series gets comments about how it's the most tightly crammed in big test series ever. When all these things are happening organically anyway you just damage goodwill you have with people if you try to manufacture it to a more extreme degree.

Extra point and the actual biggest drawback I can see to making tests officially four days, is that you're even more vulnerable to the weather. As it currently tests in places like England typically don't last more than 360 overs (i.e. four full days of play), but the 5th day acts as something of a buffer for time lost to rain. You look at the recent Ashes tests at Lords and Old Trafford and they had great 5th days not because the sides played slow cricket to get there, but because the first four days were heavily disrupted by the weather. In a four day test universe, that time lost would've killed any chance of a result (Old Trafford) or interesting draw (Lords).

harsh.ag

Something the "what about so many tests ending in 4 days??" crowd is downplaying is that some of those results come through because of the presence of the 5th day looming large in the foreground. If it wasn't for the presence of the 5th day, more tests would be drawn as teams would know they "only" have to bat out till the 4th day and knuckle down more.

Daemon

Something the "what about so many tests ending in 4 days??" crowd is downplaying is that some of those results come through because of the presence of the 5th day looming large in the foreground. If it wasn't for the presence of the 5th day, more tests would be drawn as teams would know they "only" have to bat out till the 4th day and knuckle down more.
That makes them more exciting to watch, no? Something to play for instead of waiting for the inevitable.