• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

Stefan9

International Debutant
While I do agree that England are becoming the new 'Glenn McGrath of sports predictions', he does make some valid points regarding disarray of South African cricket.
He should rather be concentrating on england failing to win any of their last 3 test series .

SeamUp

International Coach
England ODI squad

8 of World Cup squad in
First call-ups for Banton, Brown, Parkinson & Mahmood

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Almost 00s India level of difference between batting and bowling there. Keen to see more of Banton but it's tough to crack that lineup.

What's Denly doing there? No runs in the Vitalty/OD competitions either. Is he supposed to take over the Root anchor role or something?

PavlovsDog

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Almost 00s India level of difference between batting and bowling there. Keen to see more of Banton but it's tough to crack that lineup.

What's Denly doing there? No runs in the Vitalty/OD competitions either. Is he supposed to take over the Root anchor role or something?
Denly is there because he was given a white ball central contract.

Now if you are then asking why he got one of those, then I can’t help you as I have no clue as to how he earned that.

Spark

Global Moderator
C(W)PL is over so I don't have any actual reason to care about Hamza doing well, but still, some post-hoc validation would be lovely :ph34r:

SeamUp

International Coach
England spend basically a whole week playing cricket in Benoni and at Willowmore Park. Lovely welcoming for them. :D

Think they play SA Inv starting from tomorrow. SA A from Friday.

SeamUp

International Coach
P.Malan, Second, van der Dussen, Pretorius, B.Hendricks, Paterson all in the test squad. Even Phehlukwayo.

Some filthy selections.

So let us break this down.

Elgar, Markram, P.Malan
Hamza, van der Dussen, du Plessis, Bavuma
de Kock, Second
Philander, Pretorius, Phehlukwayo
Maharaj
Rabada, Nortje, Paterson, Hendricks

“The high number of uncapped players coming into the squad is a reflection of our policy to acknowledge players who do well at franchise level and have put their hands up for selection,” commented CSA Independent Selector, Linda Zondi.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
17 looks massive but I reckon it will be whittled down to 14 when P.Malan, Bavuma and Phehlukwayo go to play for the SA A team.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
VdD time finally. He'll be captain in at least one of the formats someday, would bet on it if I could.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
VdD time finally. He'll be captain in at least one of the formats someday, would bet on it if I could.
Rassie will either turn into the next Faf, who was similarly picked from nowhere, or he will just drop off hugely having just been picked at the peak of form in a struggling team... unfortunately I suspect the 2nd.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The SA invitational XI for the first English warm-up seem like a bunch of no-names. Normally SA does a better job than that?

Dendarii

International Debutant
The SA invitational XI for the first English warm-up seem like a bunch of no-names. Normally SA does a better job than that?
Matthew Arnold and Sizwe Masondo played a couple of games for the Titans this season, but both are over 30, so hardly prospects for the future. Some of the other players played in the tournament featuring SA Emerging, Sri Lanka Emerging, and the University XI earlier this year, but haven't yet made the step up to franchise cricket. It looks like they may have decided to let all the promising young players turn out for their franchises given that the next round starts on Thursday.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wonder why a 4-day game starting tomorrow against SA A wouldn't have been enough ?

I know England are getting 5-days of cricket but better quality over 4 would have been better.

Don't even think the SA players involved in MSL final yesterday would have cared if the jumped straight on a flight to play for SA A

Heboric

International Debutant
Surely that is the first Zak to play meaningful level cricket:

Zak Crawley - Check Crawley's News, Career, Age, Rankings, Stats | ESPNcricinfo.com

Wonder why a 4-day game starting tomorrow against SA A wouldn't have been enough ?

I know England are getting 5-days of cricket but better quality over 4 would have been better.

Don't even think the SA players involved in MSL final yesterday would have cared if the jumped straight on a flight to play for SA A
Nah, I often read in the English media complaining about not enough warm up games, if it was up to them they would play 5 warm up games