• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Australia 2019/20

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'm really not 100% sure why NZ needs 2 spare seamers in the squad when there are such glaring problems in other aspects of the teams performance. Ah well.

Jamieson hasn't really set the house alight this season in domestics, and I don't really rate him in his current incarnation, but wish him all the best.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
I think persisting with Raval is a big mistake, but if they've decided to give him the whole series I sincerely hope he proves me wrong. It's depressing to see Kane coming in early all the time, with only a handful of runs on the board.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Jamieson, interesting. Certainly a promising bowler but as was mentioned he hasn't been tearing it up domestically, not sure if flying him over to most likely carry drinks is great for his career

Athlai

Not Terrible
For some reason I thought we'd have a game today/tomorrow and boxing day would be the 3rd match. We don't even have a FC match? WHaaaat

Ultra Instinct

School Boy/Girl Captain
First time hearing of Jamieson, he's 6'8 damn.

Didn't know we had a bowler of that height in the system. Apparently he can bat as well?

Worth going with Boult, Southee, Wagner, Jamieson and CdG?

Edit: He hasn't been performing at domestic level, nvm.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
good choice imo. not having a great season but has a good career record and will provide some serious bounce and movement in the nets. just wish he was 5-10 clicks quicker. would already have played test cricket if he was.

Flem274*

123/5
surely for the fc match we rest the perth bowlers, play boult/henry/jamieson/astle and give cdg like 3 overs per day?

edit - no tour game? i swear there was one talked about after test 1 but nothing on cricinfo

Last edited:

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
I would normally say Jamieson needs to quicken up to trouble Australia, but turns out 125kph is enough last based on last test.

aussie tragic

International Captain
11 days between Tests (12 really) and no tour game. Bizarre.

Anyone know if any Aus players being released for BBL to mess with their Test prep?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There is a tour game against a Victorian XI on Friday & Sunday.

Good for Jamieson to get the callup, though it seems more a development thing with very low likelihood of playing. I guess you might think about him if Southee got injured, providing a similar line of attack of 130k with away-movement from height, but you'd probably still go for Henry instead.

Overall, our squad now contains three players in Blundell, Astle and Jamieson, who seem to be purely there for morning-of-the-game injury cover and aren't really in consideration otherwise. It doesn't give us options. Agree with others that they should've gone for Somerville or a batsman to plug that hole in the squad instead of Jamieson.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The tour game will be one of those godawful 14-15 a side games from what I've heard, no FC status

Interested to see what sort of team the Vics cobble together, assuming nobody with a BBL contract plays

Athlai

Not Terrible
Astle should never have been selected, Blundell is ehh when you have Latham in the squad and NZ is a same day flight for last minute injuries. Henry is a total passenger but his presence mostly just makes it clear how invested we have become in him that outside of Ferguson we are really casting a very long line for the next best quick.

Flem274*

123/5
noticed southee has 267 wickets and is only 31. if he plays into his mid thirties 431 might be threatened. he's also quietly having a second peak statistically even if he's not top 5 in the world like his first. 101 wickets @ 25 under skipper kane.

if he wasn't such absolute trash for his first 4 years he'd have a much prettier record, albeit one still built on kicking asian teams in the head repeatedly.

now that i've said nice things about him i fully expect him to get smashed on boxing day, or be totally innocuous. it's a curse.

edit - looool wagner has 117 wickets @ 23 under kane.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
He's been around for ages but this is the first time I've had a long look at Wagner and he is impressive. When an opposition bowler gives you a feeling of apprehension then that's an admission he's good. He has a versatility of lengths, the advantage of the lefty angle, ability to swing the ball and good disguise on his slower stuff. Great stamina too. Even better is the attitude. Will take it up to anyone and never looks discouraged.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Astle should never have been selected, Blundell is ehh when you have Latham in the squad and NZ is a same day flight for last minute injuries. Henry is a total passenger but his presence mostly just makes it clear how invested we have become in him that outside of Ferguson we are really casting a very long line for the next best quick.
Yeah, Astle was just a pretty bizarre selection, given you've got two guys who've done the business for you repeatedly on tour. I can't think of a single legspinner who's had any success in Australia since Apple Crumble hung up his boots.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
I think our resource is just not good as AUS and we're playing in their backyard, so the only way we're gonna win is based on strategy and plans like the CWC, personnels don't really matter THAT much.

In saying that I'd get Blundell in because Jeet's consistently out of form and never proved himself at this level anyway, and the new guy only need 2 runs to make progress. Blundell has done well in tests for us and he's been in hot form when he was around with the squat, I also noticed how BJ is hot now since Blundell upped his game, healthy competition is great. It's a shame he never played a game at the CWC, I hope he has a go here, he made a century in AUS in the warm up games before CWC didn't he?

I think Santa will probably give a 2-80 type of game in the Boxing Test lol, people learn and adjust. Maybe he was still traumatized by not taking Lyon's wicket in 2015 when the hot spot was flashing.

But I think they'll stick with the same team though minus Ferguson....I think Trent can get it up to 145-147km consistently when he's in rhythm and healthy....he did that in NZ and I think they clock it quicker in AUS for some reason....

I just wouldn't go into panic mode after 1 test, I mean we've seen this team come back from the dead so many times...vs ENG, SL...CWC....Pakistan...maybe I'm just optimistic.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Trent can get it up to 145-147km consistently when he's in rhythm and healthy....he did that in NZ and I think they clock it quicker in AUS for some reason....
boult is 145kph absolute tops in odis, and his test flat deck old ball spells are low 140s. he's returning from injury, don't expect pace lol