• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Flem274*

123/5
wagner's looking a lot better in this game too which is promising. took the new ball as well and took some rare pitched up wickets!

Jack1

International Debutant
I see Shane Bond (who is our bowling coach at the moment apparently) is advocating for Ferguson to make his test debut this series. Surely he gets a run because he’s going to be a must in Australia.

We all know how this New Zealand management works though, Matt Henry is still probably ahead in the pecking order....
He would be the first bowler on the team sheet in all formats for NZ if I picked the team. Not joking either. His (seemingly effortless) raw pace and athleticism is not something you want to be playing against as an opponent. It is a nice compliment for bowlers like Boult look who aren’t as quick. Lockie Ferguson would give NZ’s attack a new dimension surprises me he’s never played a test match.

I’m talking about tests in NZ, but guess they don’t want Ferguson and Wagner together . As good as Wagner is I think Ferguson would be slightly better at the same role. I understand if it’s something they aren’t willing to take a risk on to find out but I would take the risk.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
they're not similar roles tbh. wagner reduces everything to a game of wagnerball. long spells, bouncers, getting lippy, pitched up sucker balls, using the crease.

ferguson is far more of a traditional shock bowler. he can swing it, he can bounce it, you give him a few sharp overs then a rest. both he and wagner would work quite well in the same attack because they'd help each other out. i'd be drooling to see them both steaming in at opposite ends.

the 2 most similar bowlers (southee and cdg unless southee remembers he can hit 140 or even 135) both have good reasons to be retained. cdg is obviously the allrounder and southee had a good last game and clearly has a lot of mana in the side.

edit - southee is also meant to make the tail less hilariously long which when he bats like a person, he is capable of. none of our bowlers apart from reserves can bat.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Yeah i agree either way there’s healthy competition there for the fast bowlers, can only be a good thing

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Malan being rested? I know they plan these things out in advance...but it just seems so new age sports science everything must be quantifiable BS. Can't imagine why you'd ever shelve a guy who just made a ton, especially a mercurial guy without a firm hold on his spot

ataraxia

International Coach
Jordan should take the 3 overs IMO. Him or Adil if he bowls well. Jordan's yorkers will be needed.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
S Curran to bowl the first and last overs and no others. Wonder if any others have done this in any format?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I usually find these shortened T20 games are more entertaining than a full length one. No pretense at any sort of building an innings or technique, just all out attack.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see Guptill back in form this series

Munro was probably on the verge of being dropped so I guess this helps him massively.

ataraxia

International Coach
Ross Taylor does seem out of place in the T20 side these day ...
When the top-order collapses, which it will do one day in the T20I arena, then Taylor comes in to the equation. Without him I'd have Phillips and have Seifert drop down the order.

Guptill
Philips
Williamson
Munro
CDG
Seifert +
Neesham

Could be an option. No space for Mitchell or Bruce really. I'd prefer to keep Taylor in there but he is very hard to keep in. Needs to rediscover his true young slog.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
That LBW review was one of the third umpire's finest ever moments.

Didn't seem to notice that the ball tracking showed the ball getting pumped back down the ground for six. :laugh:

Then the confused "What's going on here?!"

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's six hitting ability in the limited overs formats is quite something.